Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G-GTE problem......

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon9.gif  1G-GTE problem...... Sat, 10 July 2004 08:02 Go to next message
Fired my new 1g-gte up today, idled nicely at first... until it started making a terrible knocking sound.

Then the idle started to "wave" around, like it'd idle normally for cold starting, then drop to almost nothing, then back up to normal... and so forth.

But I dont care if it does that right now, the knocking is terrible! And loud!

What methods can I use to diagnose the knocking sound? I have confirmed it isnt from the A/C or water pump (though I havent tested the power steering pump... unlikely though).

Is it some dreaded bottom end problem that i've uncovered by using the engine? Or perhaps a turbo that's lost it's wheel? I've never heard a blown turbo before...

If anyone in Adelaide can come take a look, and help me at least work out whats wrong i'd much appreciate it!!

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Sat, 10 July 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from the info you have given i would be thinking ya have spun bearing

time for rebuild or replacement
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Sat, 10 July 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My thoughts too.......

I bought this engine, told it was running fine...

Is it worth me taking it to a mechanic at all?

Maybe i'll just kick myself in the arse for not rebuilding it in the first place.

Anyone know of a good bearing supplier in Australia? Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Sun, 11 July 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ACL
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Sun, 11 July 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks BlackSupra!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The GEN3 I put in my car recently came complete with a stuffed turbo. Sounded like a rock in a tin can. Use a long screwdriver or something, put one end near your ear and the other on a suspect part of the car. You should be able to hear where the noise is coming from. Be careful not to stick the screwdriver in the fanbelt. That will give you a good whack in the head. It could even be a loose exhaust manifold or heat shield. Have fun...
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, lets hope it's that simple Razz But I doubt it is... Take a listen to this:

http://www.users.on.net/hydra/audio/bearings.wav

Try tell me that sound ISN'T bearings Sad
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a noise as well see topic 1jz-gte problem Smile

take the sump off and see if there is any metal particles in there to check if you have spun a bearing.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey, I read your thread... That last post was interesting, and crazy! But hey, it MIGHT help Razz

I'll check the oil in the sump first, and if nothing shows i'll pull the engine and see how things go... that is after I get brenton to take a listen and a look.

I just cant help but think it might be the crankshaft pulley Razz My 1G-GE suffered some nasty problems there...
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah, you know what....this reminds me of craigzee

did you bash in your sump????
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll admit the sump has seen better days, but it has been holding the oil for my 1G-GE for ages in it's current state.

I haven't bashed in my sump myself though.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok just cos I know craig bashed his sump in soo much so it hit the crank as it went round.

but that was so it would fit in a a23 celica, I didnt notice your sig.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh, sounds like he had fun Razz

But wow, thats a lot of sump bashing... must have removed a heap of oil capacity!
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also, do you still have your old motor lying around? I wouldnt mind a few things off it.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do have it still, list what you're after and i'll see what I can get out of it Smile
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Mon, 12 July 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after the cam covers
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Tue, 13 July 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll get them off tommorow... maybe today if I get home in time!
onemxracer
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 1G-GTE problem...... Tue, 13 July 2004 00:45 Go to previous message
i had a knockin noise from my 1jz wen did conversion.. thought it was water pump..ended up being water pump pulley wheel bolts were only done up just over finger tight so as the pulley went round it knocked on the bolts itself.. could be a simple thing like that?????? Laughing btw taking water pump of a 1j isnt all that easy Embarassed
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age error codes 51, 43
Next Topic:chrome light surrounds
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 09:24:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004788875579834 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.