Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Sourcing Pressure switches - Hobbs alternative

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Sourcing Pressure switches - Hobbs alternative Mon, 12 July 2004 12:30 Go to next message
Has anybody sourced one of these pressure switches from spa bath suppliers...I've rung up a couple of places but they seem to say most of theirs work with water. I'll let you know how I go...I don't know much about spas Rolling Eyes

Thanks

Quote:

A suitable pressure switch is an adjustable Hobbs unit (pictured), available from auto instrument suppliers. However, this switch is relatively expensive and a cheaper unit is easily found. Spa bath suppliers stock a pressure-operated switch that is ideal for forced aspirated car use. The pressure switch is designed to work as part of the air-actuated switching system which is used in a spa bath so that bathers don't have to directly operate high voltage switches. The switch triggers at around 1 psi and costs about half that of a traditional automotive pressure switch. If a switching pressure above 1 psi is required, simply tee a variable bleed into the pressure line leading to the switch. Adjusting the amount of bleed will change the switch-on point.

http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_0090/article.htm l

[Updated on: Mon, 12 July 2004 12:35]

Send a private message to this user    
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sourcing Pressure switches - Hobbs alternative Mon, 12 July 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't have a clue what kind of application you're looking for, but how about an oil pressure switch that will usually ground at 10psi or less, or a hydraulic type brake light switch that will have 2 contacts and be open at about 10psi or less.
ask for one for any old car - the VW air cooled ones are pretty common.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Sourcing Pressure switches - Hobbs alternative Mon, 12 July 2004 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's to detect manifold pressure and activate another injector. Thanks for the ideas. I'm not sure on how pressure switches compare that are desinged for different operating gases/liquids.

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Sourcing Pressure switches - Hobbs alternative Wed, 14 July 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you think this pressure switch

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=1 034

could be used with any old relay I have lying around incorporating a variable T bleed valve that I could use to adjust pressure at which it switches?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Sourcing Pressure switches - Hobbs alternative Wed, 14 July 2004 09:54 Go to previous message
Alrihgt - just a quickie.

If I want this switch to switch on an injector as soon as any boost is detected I would need a 15psi hobbs switch t to come on just around the point where pressure is above atmospheric? right?

I'm just getting confused because this article below talks about an already turbod car that only needs the extra injector if running above 14.7psi boost..but then he recommends the 15psi hobbs switch (adjustable 14-24 psi)..does this mean he'd have to adjust to about 20 or so psi for his application if what he says is true.

I see Hobbs switches that are 2psi also, what would these be good for, as someone on ebay is selling then for automotive stuff?

Is the 15psi the one people use when they fit a turbo to a NA car and want to switch extra injector.

Thanks

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/minivan/injector. htm
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae86 diff (gtapex/gtv)
Next Topic:clunky celica rear end
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 08:28:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059239864349365 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.