Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 11 July 2004 02:38 Go to next message
No doubt you will have seen or heard about Sprinterstein ...

Here are some recent pictures of the beast hosted on this page

http://www.winisp.net/ae86gt/V8AE86.htm

Enjoy,

Denis
  Send a private message to this user    
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 11 July 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol what a pig that would be
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 11 July 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You would be amazed how WRONG that sentiment is. I should add that this thing at full noise sounds simply unreal! Think a V8 Supercar at the start of a race and you would be pretty close. However driving around on part throttle it is as quiet as a mouse. And its driven daily in Melbourne traffic.

If Grega sees this hopefully he can express how he felt after his spin around the block! Smile

Denis
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 11 July 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex thinks you'll find Arch's statement was probably about handling characteristics and transient response, not puttering around town.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 11 July 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Sun, 11 July 2004 12:41

lol what a pig that would be

that's strange as Bill Sherwood said it handled great and has some serious brakes on it as well. I know I would be taking a 1uz-fe over a 4ac anyday! Razz
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 11 July 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know exactly what his comments were referring to - my point being it is capable of handling both the race track (Philip Island) while also handling day to day traffic. Its a daily driven car so its not ideally configured for the race track but CAN be with the adjustable suspension.

Denis
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 11 July 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More info here too

http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 776
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 11 July 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer Steves v8 sprinter !! Most ae86 people in Melbourne have seen this car at the last Box Hill meet . Or at the track .

Denis , who are you and what has Steve car got to do with you ?
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 11 July 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steves a friend otherwise not much to do with me except having been in it once (or twice).

Interesting question tho ...

Denis
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 11 July 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good Conversion , Dont think people should overlook 300hp with bucket loads of torque for a seriously quick car .
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now all he needs to do is supercharge it!!!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now that would be just crazy!

I think he would have to go for the big drag car style supercharger hanging out the bonnet!

I don't think that would happen as it looks like it is used for a bit of circuit work.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no not a 7000CFM crad blower, im talking like a vortech or something, they can give those motors in excess of 600hp,ive seen one on an LS430 (celsior), now that would be one quick sprinter.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would there be enough room to fit it in the engine bay though?
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the doubters would be surprised how well baalnced i think this package would be. The 1UZ is very light for iut's size and with the bigger diff in the rear i reckon you'd find fr/rr bias very similar to stock.

On my UZ185 i lost overall weight with the TTUZ and also improved front/rear weight bias. If i lost the turbos the gains would be even better again.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes but you also lost half your drivetrain Justen!
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My setup is a little different for sure Norbie but it did highlight that you don't end up with a lead tipped arrow as a few ill informed thought.

I have also driven Jamies beast in TT form and while it needed more work it handled pretty well. Both ends stayed where they should have at the 200kph i had it out to. The fish tails at 150 to 170 kph when you dropped the boost in 4th were very tame and easy to control...the car just got up and went with only minor inputs required to keep it pointed where you wanted it. It handled better than anhy 1GG powered machine i've been in.

I can see how a UZ into a sprinter would get up the nose of the purists but i reckon it would work well enough to make the grade as a legitimate conversion in my book Wink
1UZ FTE
Regular

May 2002

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just as a side issue to the discussion a 1u how it is set up in the sprinter is 165kg (approx my scales, same scales weight a gen 4 3sgte at 170kg) so a 4age with turbo and intercooler etc would weight ???
I would be interested to see how it's weight spilt will come out

J
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this thing is awesome
i take it 1uz's are kinda low motor?
it seems to sit down nice and low
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1UZ FTE wrote on Mon, 12 July 2004 15:19

Just as a side issue to the discussion a 1u how it is set up in the sprinter is 165kg (approx my scales, same scales weight a gen 4 3sgte at 170kg) so a 4age with turbo and intercooler etc would weight ???
I would be interested to see how it's weight spilt will come out

J

interesting Smile
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Sun, 11 July 2004 15:01

that's strange as Bill Sherwood said it handled great and has some serious brakes on it as well.

Brakes yes, handling no.
We didn't try it around any corners at speed so I don't know how it handles. But yes it's apparently noticably nose-heavy compared to a conventional Sprinter and Steve's working on the problem.
The front:rear ratio isn't too far off what a typical V-8 Commodore/Falcon is, so with a bit of work it'll turn out fine I'm sure.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Mon, 12 July 2004 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
come on, you cant seriously expect to put a V8 into a sprinter and expect it to handle well do you, I am the biggest fan of this conversion, i reckon is sweet as but turn it into a drag car not a boy racer
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 08:47

come on, you cant seriously expect to put a V8 into a sprinter and expect it to handle well do you, I am the biggest fan of this conversion, i reckon is sweet as but turn it into a drag car not a boy racer

Boy Racer Laughing ? Why would a guy that has countless sprinter conversions to his name , 3sge , 20v' , turbos , gzes etc and a original touring car want to build a Boy Racer car for daily driving ? He has been around before your mother was a glint in the milkmans eye so to speak Shocked .

Sad Melbourne is the home of Boy Racers in Ae86s . If you go to the track or a drift event etc here you will see maybe three or four Ae86s completing in the whole of Melbourne , Myself , AE86Levin Melbourne , GT11 , Henn and Steve . As for handling i bet that car would out handle about 99% of Melbourne's Ae86's no Problem .

Most i have seen normal used your bolt on crap designed for looks not handling Sad , and are packed with so many tofu delivery stickers , cup holders and stereo gear that they easily weigh more than a v8 sprinter .

And can i ask some of your track times MR 1GGTE ?

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont like sprinters very much, thats why im such a fan of this conversion there is no need to get offended here buddy ok.

I just reckon that with such a light bodyshell that you should run 900hp through the mofo and make it a 7 second sprinter!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The V8 Sprinter did a 2:05 or 2:06 at PI with soft suspension and road tyres (as reference my Corona Mk2 with 4M and a bit of suspension work did a 2:14 and the pointier end of the field is generally sub 2 minutes). The owner has on another forum (I think Lextreme) suggested that the car is setup so that his fillings don't fall out of his teeth when driving up a dirt road near his house.

Some track tyres and decent spring rates would see it under 2:00.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE

7 seconds , wouldn't a 20b be better Laughing

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=280749&rid=1935&S=71f5a781ca96c56bc4e4 6d8878790238

Still no track times Sad

gianttomato

Didn't know the times exactly , but thats good for road car set up first time out .
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry but i cant stand rotaries, i reckon they are buckets of chicken cooking shit!

Im not gonna say no offecne to lawn mowers but i hate the crap!
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I've seen of Melbourne roads, handling is not really required.
All the main roads are 2 & 3 lanes in each direction & straight as.
Last time I went to Melbourne I arrived at about 9pm & along the road heading towards Sandown I saw 7 traffic light grand prix's in a row between different cars Shocked

I felt very lost driving a turbo diesel car Mad

Some stiffer springs & shocks at the front should help with the handling, besides... there's always the throttle to help with turning Evil or Very Mad Laughing
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked

Are they rear coilovers I see????

Where, who, how much???
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I'm also interested in those rear coilovers!

Also, very nice conversion!!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have indeed had the "experience" of being driven in this car, its very tractable and extremely drivable from what i've seen.

it is also very very very quick.

it took me a good week to get the smile off my face (after i'd regained the use of speech amongst other things) - the work done here on this car is indeed good and safe.

an excellent conversion, very recommended. i wonder about a cage though for the future perhaps?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 16:30

Shocked

Where, who, how much???

http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/produ cts/rear_coilover.html
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Tue, 13 July 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 19:06

AE86slut wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 16:30

Shocked

Where, who, how much???

http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/produ cts/rear_coilover.html

Nope Koni there , try finding what model , n/a here in this country
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Wed, 14 July 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My only concern with that coilover conversion is that the entire weight of the rear is supported by those lugs coming out of the diff housing. Personally i'd want something alot stronger and i'm actually surprised an engineer passed that?

Easy to rectify though.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Wed, 14 July 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 15:12

From what I've seen of Melbourne roads, handling is not really required.
All the main roads are 2 & 3 lanes in each direction & straight as.
Last time I went to Melbourne I arrived at about 9pm & along the road heading towards Sandown I saw 7 traffic light grand prix's in a row between different cars Shocked

I felt very lost driving a turbo diesel car Mad

Some stiffer springs & shocks at the front should help with the handling, besides... there's always the throttle to help with turning Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Ahhh, Springvale road... As for finding better roads, it all depends on where you live though! Why not come visit me next time ey Evil or Very Mad
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Wed, 14 July 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Wed, 14 July 2004 14:05

My only concern with that coilover conversion is that the entire weight of the rear is supported by those lugs coming out of the diff housing. Personally i'd want something alot stronger and i'm actually surprised an engineer passed that?

Easy to rectify though.

Looks pretty normal to me.....

Those Technotoy ones look pretty good for around $760/pair.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 10 October 2004 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone know how much this thing weighs?
I read somewhere though all the threads that the 1uz V8 weighs almost even with the 3sgte? Is that so?
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: THE Lexus V8 Sprinter anyone? Sun, 10 October 2004 18:18 Go to previous message
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/hpi12_4.htm

The 2JZ AE86.

Oh High Peerformance Imports know soooooooo much!

"...in Japan the hatch was called a Levin, and the coupe, as seen here, was named the Trueno."
And we are looking at a 2 door Levin coupe...
Geniuses', why can't we have his job?!?!?!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:v8 in ae86 WTF
Next Topic:KE35 Steering Wheel
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:19:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070228576660156 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.