Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wolf
Regular

June 2004
mufflers for ma70 supra Sat, 10 July 2004 04:46 Go to next message
Hi everyone! Smile

This is my first post here... I've got a 1987 Supra N/A, and the car is currently at a workshop in Castle Hill. It's getting new front shocks and a new 2.5" exhaust (all the way through).

I was wondering if anyone here knew of some nice sounding mufflers for the car, that are not overly loud?

Thanks guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sat, 10 July 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate,

Welcome to the forums! Nice car to start off with too i must say Very Happy, pitty its n/a though.

As for mufflers, it depends on personal preference, try and listen to as many as you can but i know most of the supra guys would have cannons on their cars.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sat, 10 July 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7m + straight through + 2.5in = not quiet
wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sat, 10 July 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice thug_immortal. Yeah I wish it was a turbo but it still has allot of grunt. It's auto too. Laughing

However plans for next year include a manual 1jz conversion and the cars handling will be setup for drift. Looking forward to it but until then its main competition will be v6 commodores Laughing

BlackSupra: I meant to say the exhaust is 2.5" all the way, but it wont be straight through.

Thanks for the replies!
waxE
Regular

June 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sat, 10 July 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i too am purchasing a muffler soon, anyone know how those dual mufflers sound, and even a what a twin 3" tip would sound like?
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sat, 10 July 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I have a 3" mandrel bent all the way with a straight through muffler and it's to loud I have put a 2 1/2" resonator to shut it up but didn't make much difference. Ill be removing my Muffler + resonator and purchasing a different muffler that wont be as loud. This is on a turbo car which usually makes it not as loud... If thats any help.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sat, 10 July 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biger, heavyer = quiter

Im just welding up some 3inch mandrel bends and so forth for mine ill let you know how I go muffer wise.

Allan
JZA70_R
Regular

December 2003

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sat, 10 July 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm, maybe depending on how far away your conversion is you might want to go for a 3" for later on down the track, it might save you a bit of money.
wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sun, 11 July 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The conversion is about a year away, and I am fairly sure I don't want a straight through or 3" exhaust even after the conversion.

Surely if I want to drift the car needs to have loud exhaust so everything the engine does can be heard, and heard well. But the car has to be quiet enough to be legal on the street too. Another problem with a 3" straight through exhaust would be (accompanied by lowering the car by 2") running the constant risk of squashing the exhaust pipe when being street driven. I think we all know how shit Sydney roads are.

Thanks for the info celicaboy_2000.

Allan, please keep us updated man.

~wolf~
turbokid
Regular

May 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sun, 11 July 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please don't talk about drifting supra's.

I have a magnaflow muffler and it sounds very nice. N/A 7m's are very deep sounding engines.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sun, 11 July 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get gonzo mufflers...not the quietest and cheapest. but they are what ill be fititng to my ma70 with a 2.5", and also with the ma61 with the twin 3"
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sun, 11 July 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
see here for updates

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=39561&start=0&rid=93&S=c74217d1b0a00 a8b45865297438bfb76
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sun, 11 July 2004 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you do the conversion later on, I'd be fitting fabricated dump pipes, and a full 3.5" exhaust - the 1JZ seems to manage to stay pretty quiet even with a big pipe. However, an auto + 7MGE, it's gonna be kind of hard not having it sound at least a bit like a commodore. And you don't want that Evil or Very Mad
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sun, 11 July 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicaboy_2000 wrote on Sat, 10 July 2004 21:31

Hey, I have a 3" mandrel bent all the way with a straight through muffler and it's to loud I have put a 2 1/2" resonator to shut it up but didn't make much difference. Ill be removing my Muffler + resonator and purchasing a different muffler that wont be as loud. This is on a turbo car which usually makes it not as loud... If thats any help.

You've managed to make a 7MGTE loud? I've never heard one yet that didn't sound like a muted vacuum cleaner! (i.e. not loud)
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Sun, 11 July 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukey (magnaflow) "super turbo" triple pass hi-flow in 2.5" sounds sweet on an NA 7m and is pretty quite (except at wide open throttle)

you wont need a resonator with it either

wolf
Regular

June 2004
icon14.gif  Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Mon, 12 July 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow! Sure got allot of advice. This forum is sweet!

I'll be sure to check out that magnaflow muffler.

turbokid wrote on Sun, 11 July 2004 20:47

Please don't talk about drifting supra's.

Why not dude?
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Mon, 12 July 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cos supras are not meant to be drifted, they are a super tourer. Too damn heavy, and to beautiful to turn into a boro doriftu car.

Turn it into a track car, not a pure drift car and you will have more fun Very Happy

as for the muffler, i cant remember what mine is lol Razz but dont go to SUREFLO! Service was shit the last two times i have been there, and there products are of poor quality except for a select few. I have a 2.5" zorst, not enough for the gte but i dont have the money to change it with a straight through muffler and its too damn quiet. As has been mentioned, i have never heard a loud gte though :S
wolf
Regular

June 2004
icon1.gif  Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Mon, 12 July 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe!

I see where you are coming from with this, but cars were not made to drift to begin with. Yet people do it, and they do it in many different rides...

The plan is to turn the Supra it into street-fighter style ride. In my view, it is a street car with suspension setup biased toward drifting, yet retaining good grip qualities; the other features are a well balanced engine, nice simple paint, racing type rims, massive brake disc's, etc. etc.

So it wouldn't be boro! Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 12 July 2004 11:43]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Mon, 12 July 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2.5 inch works OK with a stock 1jz too - when you do the conversion you'll see that the 1jz front pipe off the jza70 bolts staight onto the exisiting ma70 cat convertor - easy! If keeping the stock cat a competant exhaust place will be able to open out the back of it to match the 2.5 inch exhaust. I did this with my 1jz conversion and was OK with a stock motor. Used a resonator and a Lukey turbo muffler and passed noise testing easily, whilst still sounding good.

Dunno about Street Fighter though - are you thinking of Street Fighter one or two? How about a Frogger style of ride instead? My dream was a 1942 style Supra, but I couldn't fit the wings on it legally. Razz

The Supra is a cool car, and with a 1jz makes a very fast car. You don't need much else.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not being a boat and handling would be nice.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 July 2004 07:28]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Handling is easy - decent springs, new shocks and a wheel alignment front and rear.

MA70's can handle suprisingly well. They're heavy, but low to the ground and have a lovely suspension setup (mmmmm double wishbones all round).

All aboard matey!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ma70s handle fantastic Rolling Eyes as do ma61s. I used to be able to drive my ma61 around on 2 wheels almost. I only ever lost it once with the too-powerufl 5me, attempting to drift around a corner with "too" much oversteer!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only ma70's ive been in are uber tail happy and as high off the ground as the empire state.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol yeah mine does look kinda high Sad but they are too wide to drift..that damn ass is too fat!

thats nothing do do with handling, handling isnt something you can judge by the cars ability to "wank" drift "wank".

They are very hard to bring back if you loose the ass in one of them, but having said that, its pretty hard to loose it.
wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 09:41

Dunno about Street Fighter though - are you thinking of Street Fighter one or two? How about a Frogger style of ride instead? My dream was a 1942 style Supra, but I couldn't fit the wings on it legally. Razz

The Supra is a cool car, and with a 1jz makes a very fast car. You don't need much else.

lol!! Look at it this way. It will look similar to a race car but without any stickers or giant body kits. Just front/back lips and mild side skirts. Simple but good paint job and probably no wing.

But never mind that. The point is, going fast in a straight line gets boring fairly fast. And not a big fan of cruiser cars either. I'm a thrill junkie so I guess many opinions may differ to mine.

wolf
Regular

June 2004
icon4.gif  Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 17:54

lol yeah mine does look kinda high Sad but they are too wide to drift..that damn ass is too fat!

thats nothing do do with handling, handling isnt something you can judge by the cars ability to "wank" drift "wank".

They are very hard to bring back if you loose the ass in one of them, but having said that, its pretty hard to loose it.

Huh?? I think drifting is a test of a drivers skill to control a car thats out of control. Never said its got anything to do with the handling of a car.

They are not hard to bring back if you loose it either man... Believe it or not I throw the car into slides all the time, and pull of little drifts with no problem. Nothing too extreme though, best I've done was about 30-40kmh Razz. But never the less, they are proper drifts around blunt corners and big round abouts. And this is with stock suspension and 4-speed auto! I can tell I've been wearing out 2nd gear, acceleration lags at 3000 and 5000-5200rpm Sad and this is only in 2nd (drift gear hehe).

So I can only imagine what the car will be capable of after the engine conversion and good suspension. Surprised

***This gets me thinking if I should throw in a manual gearbox to practice with the 7M-GE?? How would the engine respond? Would i need to tune the ecu? Replace ecu?Confused

A big thanks to you all for your help, Toymods members!!!
JZA70_R
Regular

December 2003

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey don't worry about what the others say, If you like drift then stick with it, but no offence guys... I seem to manage just fine with mine although I know it is a bit heavy (1550kg when I measured mine but mine doesn't have all the elctrics and doesn't have TEMS) But if you get a decent suspension setup it will go pretty well. I am not sure how well a 7M would take to drift, but the 1J's seem to be just as rev happy as SR's can be.
wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the support JZA70_R.

The 7M is "OK" for drift. Its got the tire spinning power and control i want as long as the revolutions stay above 3500rpm and below 5500rpm.

The problem drifting with auto are:
1. shift it in L and too slow to do anything
2. drifting in 2nd is great but i am limited to certain speed and certain types of turns.
3. try and drift in drive and run the risk of the gearbox shifting to third at an unpredictable moment.

So yeah... Only thing i can say is auto is crap! I want a manual gearbox in there but cant have it until beginning of march next year when i get my green P's. Embarassed
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
proper drifting requires mega hp and wheelspin around corners.

ill leave just saying : ma70s are not for drifting Smile
wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razz

Throw the weight of the car into that corner and wheel spin comes naturally. What i mean by proper drift is, start the turn sliding, end it sliding.

But I respect your opinion. Have a good one Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wheel spin = rotational smoke spin...like a 7mge doesnt smoke up the wheels trying to doing a burnout let alone doing it around a corner!

wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... I made allot of smoke doing doughey's.

Ask any drift driver and they will tell you a "proper" drift is sliding correctly through a corner, not the amount of smoke coming from the tires.

I don't mean to argue, but do you judge grip racing being "proper" by the speed of lap times? There is different classes in both sports. In drifting, smaller classes don't make much smoke at all. Just a bit of mist Cool
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
download from kazaa or somewhere...the yellow jap mk4 supra with 1000hp..now THAT is drifting Cool
wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol yeah the JUN Supra drift Evil or Very Mad Its what got me to start looking up drifting. Baddest thing ive ever seen a Supra do.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, cause the Jun supra is a drift car Rolling Eyes

...and the lame argument ends now Nod
if this doesnt stay on topic (ie mufflers) its getting locked

ed
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma70supra/idlenote. MOV
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Tue, 13 July 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 17:21

the only ma70's ive been in are uber tail happy and as high off the ground as the empire state.

That's how they start with 15+ year old standard springs and buggered shocks. Lowered a bit at the front and lowered with decent spring/new shock combo in the rear (to stop the floaty rear end) and you'd be surprised. They're made for fast, long sweepers and highway driving - I've never driven a car that is more stable at high speed than my old Supra.

They do love to prop the tail out though - esp with a 1jz, manual gearbox and the LSD. Not too hard to get it back under control......

And go with the 2.5 inch system - it'll be quiet enough and will suit the 1jz until you go to twin dumps etc. I was very happy with the Lukey muffler.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 July 2004 23:21]

HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Wed, 14 July 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put some Japanese coilovers in a Supra and the handling is awesome, the ride though is another story...
wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Wed, 14 July 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan, that is a very nice sounding exhaust!! What sort of muffler do you have?

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2004 02:49]

thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Wed, 14 July 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy hit the nail on the head, supras are for long sweeping corners, highway driving and the odd stint up through the twisties.

The sheer size of the mk3 and mk4 make them diffcult (not imposible) drifters and takes alot more skill to be able to control. The supras i have been in once they have broken tracyion just seem to wanna lift their asses up and keep wheel spinning till they pop the tyres, but the fact that they are way to tail happy to be able to pinpoint exactly how they are going to react is why they are not seen as a drift car.

Yesa the JUN Supra is awesome, but thats got 1000HP, any car with that much power and suspension work could be a very very nice drifter.

If you want to drift a supra then fine go ahead, but when you write it off arond a tree/pole on the street or into the tyres at the track and wonder why it just didnt come back, we will all say... Told you so!

Now im not saying you cant drive or are a great drifter, i know people have to start somewhere, and if you want to get into drifting, buy a silvia or 180 where there are an abundance of parts and and aftermarket goodies, as this will be alot cheaper in the long run.

Now....

Back to the Muffler topic,

Sit down and work out where you want to be with your car in say 2 years when your on your greens, if i were you, id be getting a 2.5" to the cat and then a 3" exhaust from the cat back with a muffler of your choice depending on what you listen to. Dont go y what others have said, it could turn out to be like buying a car cos someone else likes it and you dont. Just get them to put the ones you like on the car and listen to them then decide, but before you drive out of the shop, sit in it and listen to it, nothing worse than having a very loud droning sound in your cabin while sitting on the highway doing 110kms.. been there, done that!

/end rant...
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mufflers for ma70 supra Wed, 14 July 2004 05:24 Go to previous message
wolf wrote on Wed, 14 July 2004 12:49

Allan, that is a very nice sounding exhaust!! What sort of muffler do you have?

just a 3inch 300mm x 300mm stainless one... defiently get a center/offset i gota a double offset and its not ideal for its pozzie

Allan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ke20 brake master cylinder query.
Next Topic:ke55 manual conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 07:34:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006972074508667 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.