Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
maiku
Occasional Poster

June 2004
icon5.gif  18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 11:33 Go to next message
ppl have told me that running unleaded in my 79' 18r would compleatly nakker the valves, is this true. what might i need to replace to be able to run unleaded without hastles, secondly where could i pick up a ford webber and a bracket to fit onto the 18r-c

any help would be great
  Send a private message to this user    
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 18R-C runs perfectly on unleaded already.
It wont damage the valves.

As for a Ford Weber (i assume you mean the 34ADM), go to your local u-pull-it.
You can then pick one up for ~$40.

For an adapter, youll need to talk to carb repair type shops.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive always ran mine on unleaded. Apparently when the engines are overseas thats the only fuel they have so it has to run on unleaded. Not sure if its true though
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know it's not an 18R, but the K series motors are ok for unleaded all the way back to 1967.

afaik, all toyota alloy heads, with valve seat inserts are ok for unleaded.
Cya, Stewart
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u should prolly use flash lube tho . u can get this box thing installed 4 like $80 that add it 2 the petrol it's self or u can add it when u fill up it's like 10mls to every 10 litres i think
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds a littel gimmicky Wink... i've run my K heads for 8 or 9 years on PULP and all good so far..

has anyone with an 18R actually had valve seat recession from lack of lube (not from hammering them)???

the main valve seats that have problems are those in cast iron heads, as they often do not have a seat insert, and the cast iron is what wears away. the hardened toyota seats should be ok.

also fwiw, 'lead free' petrol (or lead replacement) still DOES have metal in it.. i believe it's manganese and maybe another one (according to Shell australia) so there is still some valve cushioning effect, and is not suitable for cars with cats or O2 sensors...

Cya, Stewart

maiku
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx
what about forced induction, turbo is out of the question because there just isnt enough room, so that only really leaves supercharging, what would be a suitable supercharger, and what other than piping and bracket will i need to do to the engine
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this a corona,?

dont mean to be harsh but if it were my car I wouldnt spend a cent on this P.O.S - sorry!

if its a celica, I may consider keeping it, but only if it were in mint cond..

just my 2cents

if you want a reliable cheap runaround by something more modern like a ae82 or if it has to be rwd then a ae71 - this at least has potential..
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you really want to extract significant power out of the 18RC - get a different engine... trust me ... this is familiar territory Embarassed

even if you avoided turbo (all that heat so close to the inlet), you're looking at custom mounting and manifold and piping for the S/C, custom pulley for the crank, probably custom pulleys for the water and alternator as well if you set the S/C pulley closest to the block.

then... fueling - needs major improvement; ignition - needs some kind of boost retard; cooling - at least the heavy duty radiator; camshaft - usable, but you probably want a better breathing profile to suit non-turbo boosting.

But the engine will need the compression lowered, and the only safe way is to machine out the head (combustion chamber) - and that probably means practicing a few times on a dud head first - or paying your machine/engineer to do that for you. The cheap option is a decompression plate and two head gaskets, but that will probably make detonation/pinging worse, will only hold up to about 5psi and gaskets will prematurely fail or leak.

Get a newer engine or just stick the webber on until you can afford a better engine (18RG, 2/3T, 3S etc)...

[Updated on: Tue, 13 July 2004 14:06]

18rgze
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RC already had hardened valve seats
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Tue, 13 July 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 19:58

u should prolly use flash lube tho . u can get this box thing installed 4 like $80 that add it 2 the petrol it's self or u can add it when u fill up it's like 10mls to every 10 litres i think

Its not an old-school V8 dude. Japan was using unleaded fuel a long time ago and most engines including the 18R-C were made to run on it.
sjsaman
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Wed, 14 July 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What so I can use regular unleaded rather than LRP... Previous owner told me that i had to use LRP and its been costing me 10c a litre more on petrol.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Wed, 14 July 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18RC is kinda like a VW or a valiant - as long as it has oil, and the rings are still contained by the block ... it'll run on just about anything.

A reasonably hard to kill motor (except when the timing chain goes west).

... the higher octane rating of LRP will have made driving a bit easier...but not essential.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2004 06:41]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Wed, 14 July 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sjsaman wrote on Wed, 14 July 2004 14:47

What so I can use regular unleaded rather than LRP...

Did you read any of the above?
Yes... run unleaded.

It may ping a little... if it does, just back off the ign timing a bit.

Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Thu, 15 July 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been running unleaded in my 78 rona 18r-c and ive never seen a problem with it, same goes with my 75 rolla ran unleaded in it and never had a problem
Trent
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Thu, 15 July 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Although I'm not doubting the fact that poeple have been running R and K series motors on unleaded, it seems the main argument is that the engine were designed that way for running in Japan. Does this logic then still apply for Aus spec POS that Japan off-loaded to us (18R-C) as surely they would have been adapted/designed for our Super petrol? Also is there any legal issues that need to be considered e.g. Cat converter (although good luck to any cop trying to prove you have unleaded in your car.)

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2004 05:51]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Thu, 15 July 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Pre-86 cars are not required to run a catalytic converter, regardless of the fuel they run.

2. When you consider the size of the Australian market (tiny) and the realities of mass production, it's extremely unlikely Toyota would have done a special run of 18R-C's just for us which lack hardened valve seats. The engine will run fine with or without lead, so what's the point?
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Thu, 15 July 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the carbie you are talking about is the weber 32/36 dgv (or dgav which is the same but with water temp controlled choke)

they came from the factory on some cortinas

using a $40 adapter plate (from redline i think) you can bolt it straight on the 18rc inlet manifold

i know, cause its what i have on mine at the moment (soon to be replaced by 2 x dhla's muhahaha Very Happy )

cheers
evan
floppy
Regular

January 2004
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Fri, 16 July 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

I was just wondering about the standard 2T thats in a 75 TA22, would that be able to run preumiun unleaded ok? Do they run a cast head or alloy head?

And if not can you put premium unleaded and then put additives like Morey's Upper cyclinder lube etc?

Thanks.

Floppy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Fri, 16 July 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2T's have alloy heads and they will run quite happily on unleaded fuel. I always ran mine on regular unleaded, no problems whatsoever after many years of abuse.
floppy
Regular

January 2004
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Sat, 17 July 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info. To be honest shows how close I have looked the poor old 2T head Smile

celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 18r-c unleaded conversin Sun, 18 July 2004 12:27 Go to previous message
with the 34adm webber you will need to jet it down.. i used one of these on my old 18rc and it ran well with a port job and mild cam:)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:rear brakes locking b4 fronts
Next Topic:18rc problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:39:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054299831390381 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.