Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Colin
Newcomer

July 2004
icon5.gif  Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine Sat, 10 July 2004 14:08 Go to next message
i have just bought my Supra and I am trying to locate the test connector on my engine so that I can check the timing etc. I downloaded a manual off the Internet which says there should be three yellow test plugs with black covers just behind the ignition coil (Its and American manual). I've looked, but there are none there. There are three plugs which are connected between the coil and distributor etc but they don;t seem to be the right ones.

Anyone have any advice as to where they may be?

Send a private message to this user    
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine Sun, 11 July 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You sure your car hasn't been converted or does the build plate say 5MGE as the engine?

The plugs should be there...
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~celicasupra/MA61/engine.jpg
I don't own a 5MGE so i don't know where it is so here is a picture off the Celicasupra.com forum of an American 5MGE.

Cheers.
Colin
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine Tue, 13 July 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, but the plugs definately aren;t there.

The compliance plate has this engine model on it so I think it is original, probably an import.

Did some of the older versions not have the computer. I know my dash doesn;t seem to have an engine check light
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine Tue, 13 July 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin.

My MA61 body code is MA61R-BLPQEQ (auto) though manuals where MA61R-BLMQEQ. Not body serial number I require but body code. What is yours so I can do further research on what is happening/missing.

Cheers.

[*]Comprehension

[Updated on: Tue, 13 July 2004 12:52]

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine Tue, 13 July 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin wrote on Tue, 13 July 2004 22:37

Thanks, but the plugs definately aren;t there.

The compliance plate has this engine model on it so I think it is original, probably an import.

Did some of the older versions not have the computer. I know my dash doesn;t seem to have an engine check light

That is interesting Rolling Eyes So your build plate says Engine = 5MGE. Please post up your body code so I can figure out what is happening. Most 5MGEs (that run unleaded) have check lights like the American counterpart.
Colin
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine Wed, 14 July 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The body code is MA61R BLMQF

The licence papers says its an 83, can this be found on the car anywhere.

The distributor has a vacuum advance pot so I'd say it doesnt have the electronic spark advance system. If it is the older style EFI system, is the rest of it pretty much the same as in the newer system and if not are the manuals for the older system available on the web anywhere?

I am pretty sure the check light isn;t there. a lot of the dash lights dont work but looking at the back plate there dont seem to any lights where the manual says there should be one..

The car is prety fully equiped though, full electrics, sun roof etc. Looking at the celicasupra.com site the Q in the second body code segment means performance model of some kind. Don;t know what though.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine Wed, 14 July 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same as the pic (late) 5mge from a cressi in my crown the plug was labeled diagnostics and on the LH innerguard, near the coil etc. It also had a check engine light.

The earlier 5mge looks different and I think ran a different ecu and definately has a different wiring harness (ive seen one) but dont know 'bout the test plug but don't think it had a check light. Try the stitt he has a early 5mge around he could check the harness 4 u
Colin
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine Wed, 14 July 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like it says in my profile, I'm a 'newcomer" Razz

Who is the Stitt and how do I contact them?

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine Wed, 14 July 2004 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheStitt: n 1) Large hobbit like creature known for wearing womens clothing at assorted events. e.g. Toyota Nationals 2) Username of Luke Stitt. May be contacted via private messaging.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Test connecton on a MKII supra with 5MGE engine Sat, 17 July 2004 01:02 Go to previous message
Colin wrote on Wed, 14 July 2004 22:20

The body code is MA61R BLMQF...

The car is definitely an Import as all Australian Supras last suffix is "Q".

Your car was made for "General Countries". I don't know what it means, I'll ask one of my friends who work at Toyota.

Cheers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Super Strut Versus Macpherson Strut?
Next Topic:Surf engine info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 18:13:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.15478992462158 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.