Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fudge1987
Regular

June 2004
turboing my 4a-ge ae82 Mon, 12 July 2004 11:57 Go to next message
well, i want to turbo my 4a-ge, i have got info and need more opinions caus different ppl are telling me different things. First, I have a rhb5 turbo which i am told runs on 1800cc engines so im guessing is about 8 psi??? if i get a new actator that bleeds boost to 4 psi will that be too much lag or will the spool come up quickly? i am going to run 4 psi so i wont need to change anything yet.. but... when i get more money i am going to run 12psi and i will need to increase displacement... will 2 mm and 2 head gaskets be enough? will i need to get a new ecu or will mine do and i got told that caus my car is so old that if i start taking the engine apart, things will start going wrong. Any advice? And are oil coolers on a 4a-ge ae-82 standard?

PS im getting everything done for only $300... bargain?
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turboing my 4a-ge ae82 Tue, 13 July 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't waste my time trying to decompress the thing at all - AE82 4AGs have got less than 10:1 comp anyway, so with some tuning, and great care, it'll work, for a little while. Considering the motor is old and tired, it'll break eventually anyway, then you might as well replace it with a GZE Evil or Very Mad What exactly have you got planned for fuel/ignition control? The standard ECU is a pretty simple thing. You can start playing with ideas like a fuel pressure regulator etc. but, if you DID start making any power, it'll soon end in tears! Have a good think about exactly how much you can afford to spend on the thing, and what parts you've already got.
fudge1987
Regular

June 2004
Re: turboing my 4a-ge ae82 Tue, 13 July 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i have enough money to turbo it... being $300 to do so i have a bit of spare cash... should i be thinking about replacing the ecu. Someone told me to re-map it, didn't even know you could do that... What should i be thinking about... the engine was going to be replaced anyway so im trying to get as much life out of this as possible with a turbo. What are the essentials and what would i not need to put on caus the 130 or so kw's will be enough
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: turboing my 4a-ge ae82 Tue, 13 July 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in the process of doing research and gathering bits for this conversion (do a search..I've been bugging a lot of people here Embarassed .

If your chasing around 130kw you should be looking at a GZE. I'm just going to be running up to around 5psi to hopefully get some life out of the motor. I don't know how many kw, but that's not what I'm chasing, a bit of extra torque would be nice and learning a few things along the way.

Remember stock ae82 GE is 86kw. 30% increase is only around 110 kw..fair bit short of your 130kw..

The way I figure - if I buy a cheap turbo car they're all going to be clapped out by now anyway. Atleast this way I can hopefully select a turbo in good condition, and as far as I know my GE isn't in bad shape (comp pretty good, no obscene rattles etc)..and learn some tricks.
fudge1987
Regular

June 2004
Re: turboing my 4a-ge ae82 Wed, 14 July 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not chasing 130Kw... i got told to run 4-5psi and i will get that much. Will i need a after market or a new gze map senser? I also got told to replace my fuel injectors to 200+cc. I just want to turbo it to get a bit more horse, im not chasing any sort of specific Kw. All i need is to know that my car will run ok for a while with it. Can you help me?
Buster
Regular

May 2004
Re: turboing my 4a-ge ae82 Wed, 14 July 2004 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm no expert but a guy I know did the very same thing your talking about doing: stuck aturbo on the side of his 86kw 4AGE because he got the manifold and turbo for $250, by the time he did the exhaust, rebuilt the motor umpteenth times and paid for countless tows he put in a GZE and turboed that and now runs 18psi reliabley and pulls 12 sec qtrs, the moral of this story is $300 now will likely mean $3000 later !

Sorry didn't want to burst your bubble, I just think that you will definitely get what you pay for!
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: turboing my 4a-ge ae82 Wed, 14 July 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much boost was your friend running and what did he do about fueling? I would guess that it would be easy to destruct a ge if you don't treat it right but some people have done boosted successfully. I.e. was your friend a maniac with the boost?
Buster
Regular

May 2004
Re: turboing my 4a-ge ae82 Wed, 14 July 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He was running 6-8psi and an aftermarket full map computer ( EMS from memory) the problem was blown head gaskets wre common. Also the car was driven hard ofcourse ! anyone who says that they will go easy is lying to themselves. Let it be said however that when the car was running it went well and would easily lay waste to a good proportion of Traffic Light cowboys !
fudge1987
Regular

June 2004
Re: turboing my 4a-ge ae82 Wed, 14 July 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone themselves actually done this conversion? caus im still getting told a thousand different things, the most believable is that i would have to get gze injectors and a new map sensor of some sort... im only going to run my boost at 4psi so i wont blow it that often. any1 agree or anything... pls post back
nos4ag
Regular

November 2002
Re: turboing my 4a-ge ae82 Sun, 12 December 2004 06:47 Go to previous message
Gday! I am currently running this conversion in my AE82 Twin Cam. Spec are as follows Smile
: Standard 86kw 4AGE
: Removed T-Vis
: Slightly Ported Inlet Manifold
: Custom Exhaust Manifold
: 300ZX T25G Turbocharger
: Microtech MTX-8
: 4AGZE 365cc Injectors
: Calsonic GTi-R Intercooler
: Custom Intercooler Plumbing
: 2 1/4 Mandrel Exhaust System
: Magnaflow Muffler (best value for money and quality)
: Heavy Duty Clutch
And it makes 105kw@wheels at 7psi.
Everything there is all I did, and I have had it that way for two years and the engine has done 192,00km and is still strong as ever. Its all in the tuning of the computer and the fuel that you use. Think about it, its very worth it. I use for car for daily driving with a bit of exta horsepower. I dont use it for Big horsepower applications and the like.
Hope I have hepled with you questions.
Regards, NOS4AG!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ke70 steering parts into ae86?
Next Topic:4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:41:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059208869934082 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.