Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA28 fuel tank in an RA23??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pube
Regular

May 2002
RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Thu, 15 July 2004 13:51 Go to next message
Im hunting around to change my RA23 fuel tank setup for my 1GGTE powered celica in the making. I also wouldnt mind some boot space. I dont like the idea of two pumps and a surge tank and all the fuel lines to go with it. So ive been thinking of sourcing a RA28 under car tank.

I know i would have to cut out the spare wheel well or most of it anyway to get it under there. No probs with that, i could just make up a shallow well for a space saver spare??

As far as the RA28 tank, i think it would be easier to install an in tank pump and swirl pot or baffles of some sort.

Any thoughts, comments, advice or abuse is welcome.
  Send a private message to this user    
jabtronic
Regular

July 2003
Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Thu, 15 July 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To my knowledge space-savers are illegal in cars that didn't come with them. Smile
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Thu, 15 July 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need to SEARCH this forum and read the other similar thread that is running right now on this very subject.
From the people I have spoken to, fitting an in tank pump to a tank that is not specially built for it (ie. the original tank) can lead to all sorts of tank pressurization problems and the constant smell of petrol fumes wafting through the car.
If you really want to fit a RA28 style tank to your RA23, I *strongly* suggest you start with a tank with an internal pump as standard. So start looking at EFI Corolla's and other similar late model cars.
Mitch.
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Thu, 15 July 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess that rules out the space saver!!

Im aware of the other similar thread concerning RA23 fuel pump but i didnt want to upset anyone by hijacking that thread to answer my question.

As far as other tanks go, i sourced an RA65 tank but its a bit too wide. They would run an in tank pump?? i will have to inspect the tank to see how this pressurisation prob would have been overcome using that tank and an in-tank pump.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Thu, 15 July 2004 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can mount a small swirl pot in the bottom of the RA28 tank, and use that to feed an external pump. Have seen a set up that used a 2 inch length of 4 inch diameter tubing welded to the bottom of the tank with a series of small holes then drilled up into the tank. Mount a couple of fittings on the side and cap the bottom of it. Take the feed from one fitting for your external pump, and feed the return into the other fitting. Using the small holes prevents the fuel flowing back out under hard cornering, major issue is it does affect ground clearance so some sort of guard for it would be a good idea.

Callum
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Thu, 15 July 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a floor mounted tank in mine, for the spare i ve got some of that foam in a bottle Razz never had to use it though, cant see it workin too good, just peace of mind i guess.

though maybe not really Embarassed
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Fri, 16 July 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have also thought about ditching the spare, i cant remember the last time i got a flat tyre!!

A have also thought about the swirl pot setup welded into the bottom of the tank but there is the prob of clearance i guess that could be sorted too.

As far as the pressurisation prob of having an in-tank pump, could you have a vent? I guess that is what a charcoal canister is for?? Could you ditch the canister and just run a pipe from the top of the fuel tank and vent it into the intake of the engine? isnt that basically how a charcoal canister works?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Fri, 16 July 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd be suprised how good that foam stuff works. Depending on the flat of course.. But I had a puncher and put the foam stuff in and got home fine.. Whereas of course it's not going to fix a blow out Razz

Keep this thread going though, im trying to get a viable solution to my fuel setup.. Hoping for an intank pump in the RA28 tank or modifying another tank to fit.

Cheers
JOel
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Fri, 16 July 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm looking into the same thing but it is away down the track at the moment.

But am interested in any solutions that arise.
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Fri, 16 July 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The closest i have found for an alternate injected fuel tank is that from a Falcon ute/panel van. Its square tank that is not too deep and would be a universal fit. However its just a bit too long to fit under the car. Anyone know of any other small square tanks?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Sun, 17 October 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just thought i'd dig up this thread as I tried mucking around with a RA65 tank in the RA28 today. But just doesn't fit well.

The best I could get (after getting creative with a sledge hammer) was the tank sitting in there but around 5cm lower than the factory tank which I don't think is acceptable. Its shaped totally wrong.

The ra28 tank is almost flat along the top, but the ra65 tank has a very large resessed area for the spare tyre and bulges up quite high on the driver side and this hits the ra28 spare tyre well/chassie rail.

I was thinking about the intank pump in the RA28 tank, but there doesn't seem to be a flat section on top of the tank that would be suitable to mount a pump. Probably need to get creative with some sheet metal and make a nice flat area.

So yeah, no good ideas there but i've pretty much rulled out using a RA65 tank.

Cheers
Joel
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA28 fuel tank in an RA23?? Mon, 18 October 2004 00:30 Go to previous message
Hi,

What about an RA25 tank? It fits under the floor at the rear of the car. The Spare tyre in the '25 sits vertically in a well, on the drivers side in the liftback section.

Mind you, '25 parts may be hard to find and the filler is at the middle rear of the car (which is good 'cos I can park left or right side of the pump and fill the car easily). You pull down the centre flap at the rear to get access to the petrol cap.

seeyuzz
river
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4A-GZE turbo - how have you set up your aircon+PS+alt in FWD?
Next Topic:7afe --->>> 7age conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 06:15:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057299137115479 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.