Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » turbo timer on a supercharged car?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
turbo timer on a supercharged car? Wed, 14 July 2004 12:41 Go to next message
i saw a post for a car for sale (aw11) GZE with a turbo timer?? is this actually usefull, ive never heard of supercharged engines needing to idle after use like they do with turbo's. So is having a turbo timer on a supercharged engine actully usefull or not?
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Wed, 14 July 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope.
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Wed, 14 July 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes good, casue i wouldnt have forgiven myself for abusing my GZE by not having one.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Wed, 14 July 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember seeing this Echo in Hot4s, stock as and turbo timer Laughing Laughing Laughing ...
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Wed, 14 July 2004 23:17

I remember seeing this Echo in Hot4s, stock as and turbo timer Laughing Laughing Laughing ...

gotta let that beasty turbo cool down...
lol
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get turbo kits for echos you know.

my sister's BF just bought a bright yellow echo and my sister is looking for a kit for him as she is in Japan for the year. Don't know if it will eventuate though as he has about 4 project cars Smile
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I've seen a Trust kit on an Echo in Wollongong a while ago. Bit bizarre, but they cater for that market too.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a turbo timer will help any car. aswell as letting any car warm up before giving it a wrap, not just turbo cars.

it's all about warming up and warming down.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you've just been giving the car an absolute flogging for an extended period (eg public sprints at your local circuit), "warming down" your engine is completely unnecessary. This would simply never happen on the street.
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My guess is the aw11 has a turbo on the 4agze engine.

Surprised
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont be so sure. ive seen a few cars with turbo timers that were not turbo. i even asked a dude if his prelude had a turbo cause it was still running after he locked it up and he just giggled and said no. am i missing something? was he laughing at me or himself? Rolling Eyes
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably at you, cause he is a retard!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are quite a few Hondas with turbo timer-like features.

Just because it came out of the factory doesn't mean that it's of any use.
Some Excels come standard with rear spoilers.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Honda owners are idiots.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought warming up a car was important at all times?

And I also thought warming down after a thrashing was a good idea too.
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 23:16

Some Excels come standard with rear spoilers.

Nothin' I like more than a FWD with a big arse spoiler...
Got stearing? Twisted Evil
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Thu, 15 July 2004 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warming up is very important, espicially if u plan on giving ur engine a good workout. Warming down as its been refered to, more like cooling off is only necessary if the engine/oil is extremly hot, or u have a turbo which as we all know should be given time to cool down which only happens when the engine is running (some cars are exceptions). But if u drive ur car from home to work in the morning for example chances are u wont get ur engine hot enough to worrry about cooling down.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Fri, 16 July 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Warming up is certainly important, but what most people don't understand is you don't have to sit in your driveway idling while the engine warms up. In fact, many manufacturers these days recommend you warm up the engine by driving (gently of course), not sitting and idling. That's the way I do it these days - start the engine, back out of the driveway, and putt around slowly until the temperature gauge is up to the "normal" position.

As for warming down, like I said it's good practice immediately after a flogging (ie the engine is hot), but if the engine is already at its normal operating temperature it's not going to get any cooler by idling for 5 minutes is it?

[Updated on: Fri, 16 July 2004 00:03]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Fri, 16 July 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, warming up is important, especially for a turbo car.

My normal startup sequence is:
Start car
Wait 10 seconds
Drive like a granny until normal operating temp
Light boost a couple of times
Then drive like the car was stolen
Smile

The reason for turbo timers is that the turbos can get so hot that they can boil oil if the engine is stopped while the turbos are above that temp.
(Reading between the lines: it's to protect the turbos, not the engine).
So if there's not turbo on an engine, why have a timer to protect the turbo?

Warming down an engine is fine, but unless you just came off the race track, there's not much need for it in an N/A car.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Fri, 16 July 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hot Turbo's need their cool-down to keep fresh oil circulating at pressure through their bearings, cooling things down enough so that they contract back near their normal size and don't "grab" when the engine (and oil) is shut-off. Both journal-type and ball-bearing'd turbos will eat bearings for breakfast if they're shut off hot. We had a Saab TurboDiesel at work that was running an uphill 1/4 mile at 100% throttle, stopping, getting turned off, then restarted immediately to run ANOTHER 1/4 mile up the hill. And the engineers wondered why it ate 3 turbos!!!!!!!

That red-hot exhaust wheel needs to cool slowly too, so that it doesn't become brittle over time, and Shatter!! N/A engines appreciate a good cool-down idle after hard work, as it lets the heat soak out of the cylinders into the oil + water jacket, instead of sitting in the pistons while the block cools down, shrinking around them. I believe the bearing journals enjoy sweet, nourishing, cooling oil running gently through them during this period, to a lesser extent.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Fri, 16 July 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're spot-on about cooling down red-hot turbos, however, in 99% of cases your turbo won't be anywhere near red-hot when you actually shut off the engine. Think about it, how often do you switch off your car within seconds of having the throttle wide open and on boost? Unless we're talking race cars, pretty much never! And in the 1% of cases where this actually happens, how hard is it to sit in the car for 30 seconds while the engine/turbos cool down? That's why I think turbo timers are the biggest wank ever. Rolling Eyes
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Fri, 16 July 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i gnerally sit in mine for about a minute after driving(and also light driving for the last bit of journey.. so this is definately enough?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timer on a supercharged car? Fri, 16 July 2004 03:27 Go to previous message
Yes, more than sufficient.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Getting new onwership papers HELP PLEASE!
Next Topic:What's wrong?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 02:39:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047621726989746 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.