Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
barned01
Regular

September 2003
things to look for when buying a car Thu, 15 July 2004 07:48 Go to next message
hoy hoy
What are the main things to look for when buying a second hand turbo car.
apart from the obvious about whether the struts show any signs of leaking and the oil looks clean and most of the electrics work, how can i tell if a turbo engine is in good condition other than service history.
are there any visual checks that i can carry out?
in question the car would be a toyota soarer
1992 so i assume it is the 1jz gte.
and is there anything troublesome with this particular model that i should really look out for?
any help would be appreciated on this guys.

i suppose this also translates to all sorts of turbo'd engines as well???
  Send a private message to this user    
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: things to look for when buying a car Thu, 15 July 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take it for a drive, if there is any noise comming from the diff it could be a sign, um, look to see if there is any milky looking residue under the bonnet as could be sign of bhg. Also just check under the wheel arches for rubber etc... other than that, get it checked by a trusted mechanic or an NRMa inspection and you should be right. Try and get right under the car and feel around where pipes join or the block itself for oil leaks etc
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: things to look for when buying a car Thu, 15 July 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thug_immortal wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 17:56

look to see if there is any milky looking residue under the bonnet as could be sign of bhg.

actually, i think he means under the oil filler cap - but also oily or stained water spray under the bonnet is a sign of prev overheat or boilovers.

plus if the engien is a non-standard transplant - then some form of engineering certificate or approval would be a given.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: things to look for when buying a car Thu, 15 July 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u can take the plastic/rubber pipes off around the turbo's and give the turbos a bit of a wiggle, see how much play is in them if there is too much she may be up for new turbos... they are a bit of a pain to get to the 1j though.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2004 23:18]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: things to look for when buying a car Thu, 15 July 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let it sit and idle for a few minutes (like 5- 10 min)when warm and check for smoke coming out the exhaust. Check for smoke when accelerating hard as well.

And try this test for the turbo seals (as recommended by trevor (TA22_GT to me many moons ago) -

"It sounds like the rear seal in the turbo is gone , An easy way to confirm this is to start the motor and block off the crank ventalation outlets in the cam cover as to build up a bit of preasure in the crankcase , inturn this will also create preasure in the turbo center housing and if the seal is gone this will force oil past the seal into the exhaust housing causing your exhaust to blow smoke . ( do this test at operating temp )"

Also a blocked/buggered PCV valve on the intake side can cause the weird smoking on idle some 1jz's exhibit.

1jz turbos have been known to fail at 100 - 150,000 kms, so if the milage is getting high than these tests would be a good idea.

And as I always say, check the rubber on the pedals and the wear and tear inside to see if it matches the mileage. Speedo's are wound back on import cars as well sometimes.....

[Updated on: Fri, 16 July 2004 00:04]

barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: things to look for when buying a car Sat, 17 July 2004 14:12 Go to previous message
cheers guys
should be interesting to see how much of this they would let me do there in their driveway Smile
but at least i know where to start.
are there any common faults with them, i notice their headlights seem to get a yellowy tinge to them, is this easy to fix?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:question, how much from syd to Tas?
Next Topic:replaceing ae86 suspension
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 22:58:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042581558227539 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.