Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Hmm, upgrades.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Hmm, upgrades. Fri, 16 July 2004 16:07 Go to next message
Well for anyone that cares I just thought I'd post a little more progress on my baby. For those unfamiliar it's an MA61 with a 7MGTE in it. Had it inspected on the dyno the other day, and found it was leaning out a fair bit (13.1 at one stage). A few tests later and we found the fuel pressure was down by about 10 psi. Well, time for a new fuel pump!

In goes the little walbro 700HP number.

A few more tests, and now the fuel pressure is about 30 psi too high! Tracked the high psi problem down to the stock fuel flow regulator. Poor little thing just wasn't up to the task of 255 litres/hour - was proving to be a bit of a restriction, hence the fuel pressure increase.

In goes the adjustable fuel flow regulator.

Now all seems peachy at 38psi fuel pressure. Back on the dyno, and the afr's are sitting pretty on 11.5. A little richer than I'd like it, but much closer to what Mr Toyota ordered from the factory.

Now the head has been off my 7M, I know that much. As for what black magic was been waved under there I do not know - except that there's a non-standard gasget in there, different head bolts, and probably some kind of port work. The sort of things you want to do to 7M's.

Anyway, half an hour or so of tuning later and I've cracked the 600Nm mark, and I'm happy enough to leave it at that (it was a bit over 5500N tractive effort for all you purists). Wasn't really going for peak power, but all the same busted well over the 180rwkw mark - good enough for me, especially considering I limited myself to 9psi.

As they say, power wins dyno trophies, torque wins races.

The brakes have also been fixed up a treat. In fact now I find myself chewing on the steering wheel as soon as my brain registers the thought "brake". Took a little getting used to, but loving it now.

Well, enough babbling about baby.

-J-
  Send a private message to this user    
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Hmm, upgrades. Fri, 16 July 2004 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Sat, 17 July 2004 02:07

As they say, power wins dyno trophies, torque wins races.

Actually, I believe they say that "Power sells cars, torque wins races" Razz Either way, that sounds like some pretty damn good results. Must be a treat to drive! Very Happy

Out of interest, what sort of RPM range does it start making the bulk of that torque?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Hmm, upgrades. Sat, 17 July 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG! Someone actually read my rambling post! Hooray!

Well yes, what you said - that sounds better than what I said. Very Happy

As for the torque: From 1850rpm it's making 500nm. It then peaks at around 2300rpm with 600nm, and then bottoms out at 450nm just before rev limit. Pretty ideal torque "curve" really. I say "curve", but it's more of a straight line. A far cry from my old 2 litre turbo, that's for sure!

-J-
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Hmm, upgrades. Sat, 17 July 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, thats one fine machine you got there...Enjoy it Very Happy
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Hmm, upgrades. Sat, 17 July 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what you do to the brakes?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Hmm, upgrades. Sat, 17 July 2004 05:13 Go to previous message
To tell the truth, I don't really know! I took it to Mark, and he said "I found a few little things wrong with them, and did a little bit of tweaking. should stop pretty well now".

Pretty well indeed!

I know he messed with the lines and did a full flush (lots of crap came out - he showed me that! Chunks and everything!). New metal-king pads all round too. I tried DAMN hard to make it brake fade as well, and couldn't. I'm talking 6 or 7 120-0 zero stops along the freeway at 2am, in the space of a couple of minutes. The discs went a cool blue colour, but no brake fade!

-J-

[Updated on: Sat, 17 July 2004 05:16]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HOW TO ON UPLOADING PICS!!! CAN WE MAKE THIS A STICKY?????
Next Topic:88 camry
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 18:12:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044059753417969 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.