Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Fri, 16 July 2004 23:08 Go to next message
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_ release.html?id=20040716

Muahaha, welcome to the world of most of the rest of us.
  Send a private message to this user    
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Fri, 16 July 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF are they going to have left besides the Camry and the Corolla?? Confused

God-damn cardigan wearing accountants No No No
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So far that only applies to the US market, but I guess with such a big market cutting off production, its only a matter of time until everyone else follows..

-Andrew
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't complain if they got rid of the ZR Celica and brought in the Matrix in AWD turbo!!!!!

Toobs @ Witzls PC @ My Place (Go Figure!)
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What a shame...

Finally they've realised that Corolla's are the way to go... None of this Celica rubbish...
RA40 CELICA
Regular

March 2004
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HA!! yeah right, lets see how the sales are going to go Very Happy ...You should never get rid of your "bread and butter" lines, after all if it wasn't for the celica,Toyota wouldn't have the money to make these aluminium cans! Mad
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool I'm not even gunna start on you RollaBoy:

RollaJERK wrote on Sat, 17 July 2004 13:54

What a shame...

Finally they've realised that Corolla's are the way to go... None of this Celica rubbish...

Nup - won't even bother. Rolling Eyes

Everyone knows that toyota has given up on excitement. Boring cars for even more boring people is their lot now. Has anyone actually SEEN an avalon in the flesh? They're around, but I'll be goddamned if they don't just blend right-on into the background! I haven't seen an interesting looking camry or corolla since, umm... ever actually. Cos they were never made!

Has anyone seen the white MR-S on the Best Motoring touge2 clip? the one with the screamer celica motor in it? That thing is a muddaphreakin rocket ship, all grip and no weight. It made a tweaked up 320hp S15 look slowwwww.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheesh, can anyone take a joke around here???

I wonder if they'll keep making them in Japan???
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

IMHO the Celica line died after 1977.

Hang onto your classics boys and girls, they're gonna be worth a lot more now!

seeyuzz
river
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha river you just beat me to it, i was gonna say the celica died after 83 when rwd ended, but then again the 40 should have just never existed
RA40 CELICA
Regular

March 2004
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes c'mon peewee don't be like that Very Happy an ra40 with an 18rg still certinally gets my vote...just as any rwd celica. Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 17 July 2004 08:43]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UNFORTUNATELY im happy they are getting rid of the celica... firstly since they got rid of RWD, secondly cause now the TA22 will be a collector item in due time, thirdly cause they killed the celica after the GT4 if not before that even Crying or Very Sad

why do car companies do this to us? freaking cunts they killed one of the best machines in the world and they wonder why no one buys them anymore Mad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Sat, 17 July 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all comes down to money. Lots and lots of people buy bland Camry's and Corolla's, because that's what they actually want. Very few people buy Celica's and other relatively "exciting" cars; if the market becomes too small for cars like that, it makes business sense to kill it. Toyota are in the business of making money, not cars.

Doesn't really bother me though; after the switch to FWD I lost all interest in the Celica. Even GT4's don't do much for me, with the notable exception of Justen Simpson's V8 ST185. Very Happy
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
New sports-model? Sun, 18 July 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suspect that Toyota may be clearing out their performance models in order to bring-in a new car, which they can drop a V10 into, linking back to it's F1 thing. As things stand currently, they're pumping hundreds of millions of dollar$ into a sports program which is completely unrelated to ANY of their road cars. BMW's new V10 M5 is a good indicator of where more manufacturers will push their top-line sports cars in the next few years, I think......

Oh, and I knew you were joking RollaDude, did u not see the rolling eyes? Rolling Eyes
I doubt Toyota will continue cellica and mr2 in their domestic market. Since they're already engineered for overseas markets they'd be retarded not to sell in as many markets as possible, even in small numbers. Smile
Buddha
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Fri, 06 August 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think this will be the end of the Celica or the MR2, at least not for us.

Two things to remember ... one, both are built in Japan, mainly for a (very appreciative) Japanese audience, and as Japan is RHD, other RHD markets (such as Australia) will continue to import these cars.

My other point is this ... in America, the top-selling vehicles are the Ford F-series and others like them. Toyota is wanting to break into that market, so I'd say that's what they want to concentrate on. Plus, Americans know approx. diddly about cars! Smile
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Fri, 06 August 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peewee wrote on Sat, 17 July 2004 17:02

haha river you just beat me to it, i was gonna say the celica died after 83 when rwd ended, but then again the 40 should have just never existed

I believe RWD Celicas ended with the RA65, back in 1985 early 1986... Not in 1983 Crying or Very Sad
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Mon, 09 August 2004 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally i've got no problem with my st162 even though it is FWD, if anyone with a RWD celica reckons they can beat me and has spent less than $7000 on their car all up... bring it on! Very Happy
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Mon, 09 August 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buddha has it right, and there is another thing to consider too,
the US 'release' their 2005 cars in 2004, and 2006 models in 2005 etc.
What they are saying is that there will be no new model Celica and MR-S after this year, so buyers are not left waiting for new models that will never arrive. Meaning that LHD production is ceasing for these two models. RHD production will continue as normal. These cars are just too important in Toyota's model line-up to drop. Considering the latest Celica was released in 1999 and Toyota has pushed out its model cycle from 4 years to 5 years, we are due a new model from August 2004 production, I think, but I have yet to see 'Scoop' new Celica pics in Wheels etc.
I hope the bloody thing will be RWD and based on the IS200 chassis. But, that is just wishful thinking.
Mitch.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Mon, 09 August 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cycleofabuse wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 10:50

Personally i've got no problem with my st162 even though it is FWD, if anyone with a RWD celica reckons they can beat me and has spent less than $7000 on their car all up... bring it on! Very Happy

OOOOHHHH, them's fightin' words!!! Smile

You have spent $7000 to get a 3s-gte st162! That's a bargain!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Tue, 10 August 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Sat, 17 July 2004 16:52

Hi,

IMHO the Celica line died after 1977.

Hang onto your classics boys and girls, they're gonna be worth a lot more now!

seeyuzz
river

River you took the words out of my mouth, they started with a good thing, perfected it when they made the RA28 and it's been a downhill slide since then. Although having seen Justins V8 GT4, I am warming to the newer versions a little.

Having said all that, the new celicas perform surprisingly well. Looks like they have been beaten with the ugly stick, but what coming out of Japan now doesn't.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Attn: All Celica and MR2 Owners Tue, 10 August 2004 04:46 Go to previous message
please keep in mind this is america we are talking about, not TOyota Japan.

As if Japan would cancel those lines - they'd have to be morons!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Stuff this in your Best-Motoring collection and smoke it!!
Next Topic:Brake caliper rebuild kits
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 01:37:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066220760345459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.