Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » which mazda steering rack for ta23??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Thu, 15 July 2004 10:04 Go to next message
Which model mazda is the one that you can use the power steering rack from. My father inlaw works at a mazda wrecker so this rack can be sorced easily for it. How difficult is it to fit.-
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Thu, 15 July 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't tell you the year, but its very early 323, the model before it was shared with Ford and became a Laser, so I think about 78-81 or so.....
I believe you have to combine it with early Prelude tie rod ends and/or knuckles, but this I am very unsure of.
I *think* its a matter of welding the two mounting arms/brackets to the back of the TA23 crossmember - again - don't quote me.
When you discover the magic recipe the makes this work on a TA23, please publish your findings on this forum mate. Thanks !
Mitch.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Fri, 16 July 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You also need to think about changing your steering column.

There are 2 options .. Modify your existing column, shortening it, splining it to hold a uni joint, needs to be supported with a bearing inside the column also.

Otherwise change the whole column over, after stuffing around with the first option for ages and not having much luck. I put a KE70 in with good results.

CHeers
Joel
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Fri, 16 July 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um why are you going to all this trouble for?
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Fri, 16 July 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My plan was to use the steering coloum that come with the rack if it fitted. I also thought about using a st141 corona rack and or colom as they are the right shape but not sure on size.
Im going to all the trouble because the old steering box is hard to turn compared to power steering and I have gone all ut with a turbo motor. fitted a/c am doing power windows and digi dash, so i thought power steering would also be a good upgrade.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sat, 17 July 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i c what you mean, but your steering shouldnt be that heavy, a manual box ain ever gonna be as light as a power assisted unit but as long as the car is rolling you should not have a problem. Have you considered that the box that you might have has been over adjusted, this causes it to be tight, or your top or bottom bearings in the box are gone and scored the crap out of the worm drive, this could cause a heavy steering problem. I will pm you when i get my box back from the rebuild and let you know if its any different.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sat, 17 July 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had thought about the steering box being a problem but every car with a box ive driven has had heavy steering.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sat, 17 July 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked DAMN you are going all out... firstly good luck with it all and it should turn out to be a beast at the end!!! Cool

but personally all that takes the CLASSIC out of it other than the shape of the car... also i personally prefer manual steering, i find that power steering is just too soft and i always end up over turning it (maybe cause im so used to standard steering Very Happy ) also i like the opposite force you get from non power assistance when turning. i find it helps to control the turn and builkds a few muscles Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sat, 17 July 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could just fit the rack and not use the power steering side of things anyway.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sat, 17 July 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats my next idea. If i cant find which mazda ill use a ke70 rack and fit that.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sat, 17 July 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just changing to rack and penut steering will make things feel a lot lighter. So dont bother with power.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sat, 17 July 2004 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you do a search you'll find that turbo_ra28 did all this not too long ago, there's heaps of information in the post and some pics and stuff. i think he used a ke70 rack and from the sound of things it was a pretty big mission.

good luck, i'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

cheers
Matt
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sat, 17 July 2004 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I went down the route of rack n pinion but non power assisted.

Any questions just ask, but there is a massive thread on it if you search.

I reckon its worth the upgrade, just love the feel of it compared to the box.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sun, 18 July 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joel is it all right know did you shorten the rack or extend the lower arms that we talk ed about
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sun, 18 July 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ill will be asking questions soon once i get it together. i didnt search at the start as I started off only wanting to know which mazda the rack was from...Ill probably source a rack next week when i get my diff...Just gotta do some measurements.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: which mazda steering rack for ta23?? Sun, 18 July 2004 22:59 Go to previous message
CelicaRA45 - Mate i've been real slack and haven't done that yet. It is on my high side of my list of jobs though to do!

Just been putting up with the bump steer for now Confused

I've realised I also need to move the rack closer to the crossmember as it currently sits slightly behind the outer tie rods so when you turn this angle gets even more and I think this is causing problems with the ackerman angle.

Soon I'll pull it all back out and do a 'version 2' Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what computer for 20valve in AE86
Next Topic:cressida questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 02:42:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051369667053223 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.