Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Sun, 18 July 2004 05:16 Go to next message
Im just trying to figure out what i can use for this, as my engineer has noted that i will most likely need an unleaded filler neck as the GE is meant for unleaded.
Anyone know one which will transfer over?
  Send a private message to this user    
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Sun, 18 July 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm hoping to us one of a ae82 but haven't got that far yet concentrating on the motor at the moment
Rob20v
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Sun, 18 July 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can buy an insert with smaller hole and flap and put in your existing neck. We use them all the time. Just be careful if you have to do a full emissions test you have to ensure that the insert is as completely sealed into place as the original.
I think you can get them at any decent auto parts shop like Bursons.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Sun, 18 July 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because I am a cheap arse, I machined up a washer with a hole the right size for unleaded. Cut the end off my filler neck, welded the washer in just below the filler cap then welded the filler neck back together. I ended up with a few pinhole airleaks so I plugged them with a bit of 2-part epoxy (not fuel soluble apparently).

I bit of rooting around but cheap.

Hen
20valve69corona
Regular

May 2002
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Sun, 18 July 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a guy selling these on ebay for $40, i have one on the way will let you know how it is when i get it.
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Mon, 19 July 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im just about to engineer an imported 190E Benz. I contacted a local dealership and discovered they sell a plastic filler insert for $15. As filler necks are roughly the same size it might be also suitable for other cars.

Alternatively, I've used in the past a filler neck from an early EXA or Pulsar. The neck itself is smaller than the Toyota one so you can chop it off both ends, slide it in and tack weld it in place.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 July 2004 02:54]

barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Mon, 19 July 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't know if it is legal emissions wise but vn commodores onwards have a filler neck with rubber hose attached.
we got one of these (and the ruber hose bit) for next to nix (two beers) cut the old filler neck off of the car we wanted to convert (a sigma) and just put this in its place connected by the rubber hose. Easy job, took 10 minutes.
But i don't know if the rubber hose bit is allowed, although if it is alright for commodores, one assumes it should be alright for this instance.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Mon, 19 July 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure if you can do this but i faced the same problem with my ra23 when i enginnerd it. What i did was got a filler neck of a ulp car, in my case a hilux was the design best suited to my application. I cut the neck just before the restrictor and cut the orignal neck with a hacksaw to the legnth i had just removed from the hilux neck. Oxy welded the two together and majic i had a filler neck which bolted straigt in had the restrictor and was still able to utilise the orignal filler cap, cause this is an item seen on a ra23 and when you use an restrictor insert the cap you have to use aint appealing to the eye. So take out your neck and go hunting at the wreckers for something.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Tue, 20 July 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please correct me if I am wrong, these filler neck restrictors are used so that Leaded fuel, can't be accidentally put in your tank. Is leaded fuel still available somewhere? Lead replacement fuel contains no lead. If leaded fuel is no longer available , why are engineers requiring you to comply with an ADR which has no relevance. All the offending engineers, should put pen to paper and have the ADR rescinded!

cheers Chuck.
supra1978
Regular

February 2003
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Tue, 20 July 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Engineering Signatories are not to blame. It's the Government!

Although representatives from the auto industry can make a case for regulatory change it is the Government that ultimately controls it.

The ADR covering emissions adopts the Euro standard which requires a fuel filler restrictor. It is not even a unique Australian requirement.

Richard

Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Wed, 21 July 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be more upset about paying the extra lead tax for fuel that does not actually have lead in it anymore....... Rolling Eyes
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Wed, 21 July 2004 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heard that the price difference is now due to LRP having a higher octane than normal ULP.

And also probably because the old engined people are used to payin more and so wont complain.

Hen

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2004 17:48]

genkin
Regular

January 2004
Re: Unleaded Filler Neck for AE86 Thu, 22 July 2004 00:13 Go to previous message
Does ur 86 have a cat converter?
if yes... u need a filler neck.
if no... u don't need one.

they didn't even check mine and i got through fine! (no cat)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA60 : Auto-choke being crap
Next Topic:Corolla - Fuel pump differences....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:36:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063509941101074 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.