Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Question for the computer nerds!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Question for the computer nerds! Thu, 15 July 2004 05:52 Go to next message
I have a uni project where i have to help a business with something in the way of ecommerce. The business i have found (butcher shop) requires a webpage that has an ordering system. What it needs is an interface where the user can fill in the form and it is then submitted to a list. The end result needs to be a list that the butcher can access and have all the days orders.

I can make the webpage side of things without a hastle, the bit i am unsure on is how to have the data submitted to a server and then compiled and to a list. Am i right in thinging that sql, php or ASP my be required for this? i have nerver used any of them and need to know which is the best method for me to research. Any other sugestions are welcome!

Also, the system will need ssl. I have never had much to do with ssl, is it easy to implement in the way of the above system?

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Send a private message to this user    
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: Question for the computer nerds! Fri, 16 July 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone know anything about php sql or asp???
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Question for the computer nerds! Fri, 16 July 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its small, then using a form in PHP and piping the output to a file, then writing a small program that goes through the file and generates a report shouldn't be hard at all.

You don't NEED a database. It'd make it a lot simpler, but depends what you need to impress your lecturer.
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: Question for the computer nerds! Fri, 16 July 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All it really needs to do is display a list of orders for a specific day in a table format. A database wouldn't be absolutely neccisary, although records of previous orders would need to be kept. Thanks for your help Smile

I am still reading up on php and sql to try and get the hang of how these things actually work!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Question for the computer nerds! Fri, 16 July 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can read a record from one file, process it then write it to another. Or you can just keep all the data on one file and put a date on when it was entered etc. then just report on a specific date etc.

Just remember there are always 20 different ways of doing things, try and find at least 4 or 5 and chose one of them.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Question for the computer nerds! Fri, 16 July 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thinking about it again, PHP might not be needed. ASP might be better as it won't need a webserver (or does it?).

I'm a java guy anyway, so don't know much about PHP/ASP configs
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: Question for the computer nerds! Fri, 16 July 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havn't looked in to ASP yet but might do a little research in a while. I have 13 weeks to get this project done so i'll be trying a few different methods. Thanks again for you help!
Toy SX
Regular

April 2003

Re: Question for the computer nerds! Fri, 16 July 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use PHP Wink You can do things much easier and using less code in PHP than ASP. I'm using both and wish hateful thoughts on clients who still want to run with ASP over PHP Twisted Evil

Easiest way, write the data into a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file which you can then open up in Excel (voila! table format)
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Question for the computer nerds! Fri, 16 July 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the CSV file is what I was suggesting. (but failed to mention Confused )

Thats what we do for my dad's site, it works well, he just either views the file from the site or downloads it and views it locally. Too easy.
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: Question for the computer nerds! Sat, 17 July 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks heaps guys, if i was to use CSV would that eliminate the need to use mysql at all?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Question for the computer nerds! Sun, 18 July 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can do it all on flat files if you want. Keep the items details and pics on a file, report to a file, etc.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Question for the computer nerds! Sun, 18 July 2004 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asp is the way to go..... FOR EVERYTHING Razz

Page 1. Have a form with all the things of what a person can order and purchase.
Page 2. Adds everything on that list to a database.

Page 3. Lists everything in the current database to the screen.

is there anything more specific that needs to be used for this project like credit card transfers if they have to pay upfront, userlogin and discounts for regular buyer?

i might have some useful examples i can send you if need be Very Happy

*kicks php* Razz
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Question for the computer nerds! Sun, 18 July 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flat files will only work if all you're doing is reading in data and writing it out.
If you need to do specific queries on the data like: "list all the different types of beef", then it'd be easier to go with a database.

10 PRINT "ASP sux"
20 GOTO 10

Both ASP and PHP require a webserver that can handle the files. Apache has modules for both.

SSL is a server-based config thing. It shouldn't affect the pages that you write... Once the webserver is set up with SSL, all you have to do is use the https protcol instead of http.
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: Question for the computer nerds! Sun, 18 July 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been playing around with php a bit and have worked out how csv works. I like it although is there any way i can implement security in to it? eg: so only the administrator can view the csv file and other people can only add to it.

We don't have any guidelines for the assignment other than it has to be something in the way of ecommerce and more advanced than a basic webpage. I will be suggesting an online payment system although this will be as a future improvement so i won't have to make it at this stage. Another thing i would like to implement is a mailing list for customers, i think i know how to do this using php and csv but again security is an issue.

jackel: At this stage i have spent about a week with php and don't really want to start again with something new. Is ASP basically a competitor to php that does the same things just in a different way? I might look in to ASP a bit later on as i have the entire semester to work on this project.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Question for the computer nerds! Sun, 18 July 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Security, eCommerce, and online payment are pretty advanced concepts. Any site with those features would not run from a flat file...
If you're thinking about doing those things (especially the mailing list), your life would be much easier if you stuck everything into a database rather than a CSV file.
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: Question for the computer nerds! Sun, 18 July 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might do a bit more reading and experimenting Smile CSV did seem a bit simple, thanks for the help!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Question for the computer nerds! Mon, 19 July 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it needs to be a more complex website (ie with logins) then you'll need a database (mySQL is the best home/study database). I should've realised this when you wanted SSL.
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: Question for the computer nerds! Mon, 19 July 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm gradually getting the hang of this stuff, took me ages to actually get php to connect to the database Rolling Eyes can any of you guys reccomend a freeweb host that supports php/mysql?
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Question for the computer nerds! Mon, 19 July 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you need a asp one http://www.websamba.com is a good website for hosting
Toy SX
Regular

April 2003

Re: Question for the computer nerds! Mon, 19 July 2004 15:30 Go to previous message
Bleh to ASP (always sucky pages Razz) Gotta do something now in ASP and I swear I'd be done by now if it was done in PHP...but NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Stupid ASP, have to write more lines than it's worth just to do something simple ><

If you want to use admin logins, dodgy way is to hard-code the password Wink You can set it up so that when u first create the account manually, do an md5 encryption to it, save that md5'd string as an encrypted password (i hope i made sense there).

Or alternatively is to password protect that directory using .htaccess passwords.

The other way is to put it in a DB, but encrypt the password so that it's not still plain-text. I wonder why ppl save passwords on a database w/out encrypting it....kinda defeats the purpose. Highly unlikely that someone will get access to the DB i know, but still in the highly unlikely chance that someone does.....

Chuck the CSV file in a folder and have the admin section in that folder. That way, the only way someone's going to find the folder is if they get into the admin section or access it by a direct address (ie. http://www.yourdomain.com/doc/mydoc.csv, etc). Name the csv file something really random involving both letters and numbers. It'll be a hard ask for someone to guess what you named that file.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:The Lore/Truth behind the 'story' that is Initial D
Next Topic:Upgrade you SL dvd burner to DL dvd burner!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 16:35:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13981914520264 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.