Toymods » Tech & Conversions » fuel pump location and how many filters

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
fuel pump location and how many filters Mon, 19 July 2004 11:18 Go to next message
just installed my efi on my 2tg in the celica, im using a vl fuel pump and was just wondering if i put a filter before or after the pump or both, and were should i mount it under the car near the tank or in the engine bay. Usure of running power to the back of the car thought.

only running the one pump for the time being

jason
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fuel pump location and how many filters Mon, 19 July 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Minimum one filter after the pump, before the engine. Your choice if you want it close to the motor (like most EFI Toyota's) or close to the pump (a la EFI JD-JE Camira). Under and next to the pump works, as does near the engine, and maybe easier to change down the track if its under the bonnet.
Run a pre-filter if you want to spoil your VL pump.
I have retained the standard filter on my GZE motor, fitted a Camira pump to the rear chassis rail on my RA23, and another filter in the half inch hose from the tank down to the pump. This pre-filter sits alongside the tank mounted via a bracket to one of the tank mounting bolts.
Run your power up into the boot, under the tank, down thru the cabin under the rear bench seat (use the existing holes) and then along the trans tunnel to reach where-ever you have your ECU. I'm assuming you are fitting this somewhere near the glovebox.
Mitch.
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: fuel pump location and how many filters Mon, 19 July 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im sorta lost in your wording as to what you thought i should do, i have a sub wire which isnt going to use back there, should i use this??? it also has a fuse in the line shich will be good.

i think i will mount closest to the tank for when i later put a surge tank in.

how would i tell which line is the line i want fuel goign to the engine, i dont want to cut into the return line.

also were you saying dont have a filter before the pump or do???

thanks for you help
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fuel pump location and how many filters Tue, 20 July 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As you know - fit one filter between the pump and engine, where you want that filter exactly is up to you.
If you want to be extra nice to your pump (give it a better chance of a long life), fit another filter between the tank and the pump - but this is overkill and not necessary.
I do have a second filter fitted.
I don't know the specs of your sub wire, but fuel pumps are a reasonably heavy amp draw. I used both wires of a twin core lead (each 3mm wire joined at each end) to drive the pump.
Ideally you should run a new 8mm fuel line as your engine will need a bigger fuel flow.
If you have to use the existing fuel supply line trace it back from the old fuel filter in the engine bay, or forward from the
pick-up in the tank.
May be best to pull out the tank to confirm the pick-up line, however in my car it is the pipe closest to the rear bumper, which makes sense as that is the way fuel flows in the tank under acceleration.
Mitch.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fuel pump location and how many filters Thu, 22 July 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A couple of quick points !

Power - The Fuel pump power needs to be controlled by the ECU, you will have a fuel pump relay there some where, make sure you use it.

Pre-Filter -

A high volume fuel pump is designed to push fuel NOT pull it. As such a filter before the pump needs to be a special type. A carby style paper element filter will do fuck all and has a good chance of splitting/failing under the load. You will also simply suck any contaminants stright thu it. ie its a BAD idea.

An EFI style filter will restrict fuel flow and force the pump to work harder ie pump life will greatly reduced. - ie a BAD idea.

You need to fit an actual "Pre-Filter" not just a filter before the pump.

And yes a filter before the pump is optional........ If you don't mind fucking your pump every time you get dirty fuel.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location and how many filters Fri, 23 July 2004 09:26 Go to previous message
If you have converted your car to efi, i would assume you are still using an unbaffled carburetor tank. Although at this level of performance fuel surge might not be a problem unless you leave the tank so empty the cars running on fumes. However u have incorperated the use of a high pressure fuel pump from a vl. As stated previously these pumps do not like to suck the like to push, and making them do so will greatly shorten their life. If you would like to protect your pump setup your fuel system with the efi filter, then a pre pump, then surge tank then finnaly your high pressure pump. Having the pre pump and surge tank will take all the pressure of the vl pump and let it do the job it was inteded for and let the pre pump do the job it was made for SUCKING!!!!
Good luck
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3T GTE TURBO conversion
Next Topic:help for JE camira
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:47:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069019794464111 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.