Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sprite
Occasional Poster

September 2002
2jzge into mx83 Wed, 18 September 2002 03:33 Go to next message
Has anyone out there put a non turbo 2j 3 litre into an MX 83. It sounds like it should be a good conversion to replace the 7M.How much rewiring is required?
At 168kw an MX83 should go well and have reasonable economy.
Does anyone also know the availability of the 2JZGE and price?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2jzge into mx83 Wed, 18 September 2002 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rewiring is going to be a big headache if you're planning to use the factory ECU. Definitely not a plug-n-play job. Note also that the JZ engines are not known for their frugal fuel economy... I doubt it would be much different to the 7M.
sprite
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: 2jzge into mx83 Wed, 18 September 2002 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How would the wiring and economy compare to a 1jzgte or the Lexus V8?
Mos
Occasional Poster

Toymods IT Secretary

June 2002
Re: 2jzge into mx83 Thu, 19 September 2002 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't comment on the economy, but I would expect the wiring to be no more complex than the 1JZ-GTE or 1UZ-FE.

Both those engines are more or less plug in (from the point of view of being able to pull the pins out of their plugs and inserting them into the corresponding positions on the vehicle's loom).

The 1UZ had a few more surprises but essentially both those are relatively easy to wire up into an MX83, so I'd expect the 2JZ-GE to be no worse.

Mos.
sprite
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: 2jzge into mx83 Thu, 19 September 2002 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mos,
Luke is here in Dubbo today,he wondered if the wiring for the 2j was like doing his Cressida, I remember it took you all night and the next day to work out the wiring. Would it be that hard because the 2j is from a later car than the 1J?
How difficult was Darren's V8 to do?
Robbo Cool
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2jzge into mx83 Fri, 20 September 2002 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mos wrote on Thu, 19 September 2002 17:43

Can't comment on the economy, but I would expect the wiring to be no more complex than the 1JZ-GTE or 1UZ-FE.

I beg to differ. You need to come over and have a look at my Aristo wiring loom... what a shitfight!!

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

2JZGE wiring Fri, 20 September 2002 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For what it's worth I can photocopy the relevant wiring loom diagrams out of the manual and mail them to you if needed.
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Wiring Fri, 20 September 2002 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The time involved in wiring depends on a number of factors the main ones being the experience of the person doing it and the the model of car the engine came from. Some looms are more complex than others and therefore take more time in working out all the pin functions.

I never wire a loom in-situ ie in the car. Too time consuming and too easy to make a mistake. Best method is to lay both looms side by side and transfer the 7M plugs over to the new loom. To make things easy for the customer I often remove the 7M ecu plug and solder this onto the appropriate locations on the new loom. This then makes for a totally turn-key conversion.

Grant

[Updated on: Fri, 20 September 2002 13:57]

Mos
Occasional Poster

Toymods IT Secretary

June 2002
Re: Wiring Sat, 21 September 2002 13:11 Go to previous message
Hi Robbo! Smile
How's it going?

Luke's wiring was more 'difficult' because the plugs on the MX73 are different to the MX83. Both the 1JZ and 1UZ uses the newer style of plugs found on the MX83, which means only moving pins around is much easier; with the MX73 you either make an adaptor or cut one type of plug off.

As that was the first time I worked on a 1JZ all the pins had to be worked out pretty much from scratch, then checked against wiring diagrams - Scrote's conversion was a lot faster - however I'm still awaiting being let loose on a front cut to work out what the hell the traction control computer needs Smile

In Darren's case, the ECU plug coming off the cowl loom did require a number of pins shifted around and new ones added.

Norbie: a shitfight doesn't mean it's any more complex Smile Admittedly I'm yet to work on an ECU with 3 rows of pins Smile

Mos.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Thanks...to those involved thus far!
Next Topic:AE82 and AE92
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 06:05:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.19373798370361 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.