Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
OnAHigh
Regular

March 2004
engine mounts gone Tue, 11 May 2004 14:49 Go to next message
I recently forked out a bit to replace my front engine mount only to realise the back one was completly fuc*** (literally). So me and a mate replaced the back one with a second hand one which was in good con. Now on the third day after replacing the back one , I am starting to get the same symptoms i used to get before i had changed the mounts but no where near as bad as it was.
(A clonking noise everytime i downgear or accelerate or when there is pressure put on the gearbox)

Does anybody have any ideas if there anything else i should be looking at? maybe the left and right mount? should i take the rear one out again and check it? i doubt it would stuff up after only 3days
andy ideas?

Cheers
Dave
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: engine mounts gone Tue, 11 May 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave,
Have you retorqued your engine mounts after installing them ?
Have you looked at any of the metal braces that run between the back of the engine and the front of the gearbox ?
Mitch.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engine mounts gone Wed, 12 May 2004 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be diff backlash!
Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: engine mounts gone Wed, 12 May 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get it sometimes changing out of first gear when depressing clutch, loud thud noise , feels like gearbox or diff... i have an aw11gze with (some kind of ) tight lsd ex JP
OnAHigh
Regular

March 2004
Re: engine mounts gone Thu, 13 May 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mitch,
no i havent retorqued the mount, what tool do i need for this?
Iam taking it back to the mechanic on sat mornin to look at the one he installed and the one i installed,
he says engine mounts can stuff up after two days of use, i find that unlikely unless something is causing it to break.
ill also make sure he looks at the metal braces

cheers
David
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: engine mounts gone Fri, 14 May 2004 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

no i havent retorqued the mount, what tool do i need for this?

Try a torque wrench.
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: engine mounts gone Mon, 19 July 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did your problem get resolved?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: engine mounts gone Mon, 19 July 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some of the guys here have used a product called sikaflex to make a semi solid mount (a polyurethane based or similar product). Sounds like there might be something else causing them to break or give you the symptoms though
OnAHigh
Regular

March 2004
Re: engine mounts gone Mon, 19 July 2004 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys

yes i finally did fix this problem, the engine mounts were partially, the problem but the second problem was a bolt on the drivers side , im not sure the name of what it bolts onto ill look in the manual. It was loose and was knocking against the bushes etc, thats why i would always hear the clonking sound, i tightned this bolt when i first changed the engine mount ( i happened to notice it was loose) but it came loose again thats y i thought the engine mount was the problem, so a bit of locktight fixed the problem Smile so far so good

thanks for asking
cheers
dave
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: engine mounts gone Mon, 19 July 2004 22:50 Go to previous message
how about a pic of this bolt! cos im having the same problemo with my car Sad
That would be very swell

cheers