Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
R154 Short Shift Kit Tue, 02 July 2002 13:42 Go to next message
I'd like to get quicker gear changes so I can trounce Skylines by 3 car lengths instead of just 2 Smile On the track of course!

Back to the topic - short shifters for the R154. Who has one? What's it like? Did you make it yourself? If off the shelf, what brand, cost?
I've seen the TRD kit but at $700, I'd rather try alternatives.

I was thinking of having a 1 inch spacer made up to fit under the top cover on the gearbox shifter and lengthening the shift linkage by about an inch. I've got a spare gasket as a template. Anyone had the top off the R154 and know if this will work? Who should I approach in Sydney to make up the spacer if I go ahead? Anyone else interested in a allow spacer if I have one made up?
  Send a private message to this user    
Techie_Mark
Regular

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Tue, 02 July 2002 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
give me the $700 instead

http://www.supras.com/sogi/techtips/1_engine/1017_ MKIII_mod_short_shift/index.html

BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Tue, 02 July 2002 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, you don't wanna do that! (except for the new bushes maybe)

What you had in mind is right, I did the same sort of thing. http://members.optushome.com.au/big.worm/quicksh.h tm

Not sure where you could go to get this done, but it's really not too hard to do. Someone with a millimg machine and a welder should find it pretty easy.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 03 July 2002 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark
As previously discussed, there is a difference between shortening the length of the stick and shortening the actual shift stroke - the MKIII mod is crap and only shortens the stick not the stroke - IMHO a bit ricey! Smile
I'll keep my $700 and get a real short shift thanks.
How's the RAxx going?

Joel
Your link is where I got the idea from months back but could find when trying to refer to it. It's what I'm trying to achieve with the R154 stick. It's also what reputable short shift kits achieve.

Anyone out there done it to the R154?

Anyone know if the R154 stick is common and interchangeable with any other boxes?

Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 03 July 2002 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manny, TRD1TONNER has one on his halfcut and HCCA has one too.

They are really simple. Billet alloy piviot point bolted on to the top of the remote and a modded stick. Not worth 700 IMHO.

Would be hard on the syncros. Very notchy shift and as you know the R154 is not the fastest shifting box due to its large size.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 03 July 2002 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete
That's what I was hoping to get around - the long, notchy, heavy shift.
I'd rather spend $700 on something that makes the car faster or safer, not on a shift kit. If the spacer does not work out, I'd just bring it back to normal, hence my question about wether the stock stick itself is common with any other box as a backout option.
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 03 July 2002 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
W58's have the same shifter so do w40/50's. Too easy. Most toyota boxes share the same shifter
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 03 July 2002 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brilliant info. Thanks Pete.
Anyone in Sydney with a spare shifter off maybe a broken box? Reasonable requests for money or beer entertained - can deal/trade at Dyno Day.
Techie_Mark
Regular

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 03 July 2002 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think a 6 pack of Hahn Premium would do it Razz
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 03 July 2002 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is that for the 22RE or the stick off the W58 from the RAxx or both? Smile
Techie_Mark
Regular

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 03 July 2002 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can adapt a sequential shift kit, like in Zoom 52 p.68
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Thu, 04 July 2002 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's interesting that the Ikeya sequential shifter in the Zoom article was brought in by Japanese Motorsports for George's 200SX. According to their front page he is their best customer, and if go to; http://www.japanesemotorsport.com.au/partsinstock3 .htm
You can by the "slightly used" sequential shifter for a 200SX/Silvia S13/14 for only $1900! A lot of money for "no improvement in shift speed could be detected" type performance!

A shorter shift for the R154 would be desirable, but I've found that trying to shift too quickly (esp 2nd to 3rd) causes me to sometimes miss the gear. Now I could a crappy driver, or the box could be a bit hammered, or maybe some things (like that long, slow shift) you just can't change!
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Thu, 04 July 2002 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark
I'm bitching about a $700 option that will improve shift speed and you suggest a $2000 rice part that makes no improvement at all other than looks/brag rights. Nah - don't think so. Rolling

Is the w58 stick available?
Techie_Mark
Regular

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Thu, 04 July 2002 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy,
No, I agree with you totally here.. the R154 isn't the smoothest box in the world, and short shift, long shift, sequential shift, that aint going to change.. the only way you are going to improve the shift is to rebuild the gearbox carefully .. i've heard of having the gears "knife-edged" but I don't know where I saw that.. Oh, and R154 2nd to 3rd when driving agressively - yes it's the box.
Techie_Mark
Regular

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Thu, 04 July 2002 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manny, chill dude.. I wasn't being serious Cool
If you ask me, the sequential shifter looks dodgy.. looks like the guy in zoom is driving a government bus Laughing
Techie_Mark
Regular

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Thu, 04 July 2002 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, sorry Manny, the stick is going with the box for a manual conversion on a commodore.
MelloYello
Newcomer

July 2002

Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Fri, 05 July 2002 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manny, there is a brand called C's that makes the short shifter for the R154. If you can't seem to source one over there, you can get one here: http://www.suprasport.com/suprasport/catalog/produ ct_info.php/cPath/31/products_id/151 for $345 USD. It's alot of money, but the difference is night and day.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Fri, 05 July 2002 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark, (dude??WTF) - I'm chilled....either was I, just winding you up as usual.

MelloYello
Looks interesting but landed in Oz would be more than the $700 TRD unit.

When I find a place that can mill the template I've got for the spacer, I'll give it a go myself. Now just got get myself a spare stick.
Techie_Mark
Regular

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Fri, 05 July 2002 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry dude Razz
MelloYello has the right Idea.. these things are so common in Japan, there must be dozens sitting on half-cuts around the place.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Fri, 05 July 2002 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True maybe in Japan, but in Oz how many halfcuts lying around do you know of with R154s in them, let alone with an aftermarket shift kit and how likely is the wreckers to let us get our hands just on the shifter? Rolling

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2002 09:47]

Techie_Mark
Regular

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Sat, 06 July 2002 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its simple.. you just buy the front cut, remove the shifter, and resell.. You would be surprised how many wreckers wouldn't know that the thing has a short shifter fitted.
I know it's a long shot, but might be worth a try, and might even be a profitable transaction if you could be bothered to part the front cut out.
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Tue, 20 July 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to REVIVE this thread, i foudn this...

http://www.suprasport.com/suprasport/catalog/produ ct_info.php/cPath/31_65/products_id/204

anyone got anything for less coin and maybe closer to home?
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 21 July 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the Cs shifter in my MA70 and while the box is still not the best shifting the short throw shifter is a nice thing to have. You should be able to source one through an importer in Australia

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2004 03:47]

acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 21 July 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i have mine locally made!!!
Thanks Manny!!
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 21 July 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pleasure mate

lol, this thread is ancient...

I'll have 2 kits left in a a few weeks - no more exchanges to go, $325 outright for complete JZA70/MA70/GA70 and JZZ30 short shift kits.

Also a few billet alloy spacers left for the DIY'er for $80.

Oh and Redline MTL fixes that notchiness in just about any R154.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2004 09:47]

acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: R154 Short Shift Kit Wed, 21 July 2004 11:26 Go to previous message
The thread is only 2 years old.

Redline is certainly good for the R154.

This shifter was worth the wait! Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:different 18R Pistons