Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
510rob
Regular

June 2004
HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Thu, 15 July 2004 19:41 Go to next message
I'm doing a 3SGE/W58 swap, and I'm going to turbo the f**k out of it, but someone (with a bunch of indycar motors sitting in the background) put the scare into me that I should be doing a 3SGE/R154 swap because I'll probably end up twisting a W58...

This begs the questions:

What's the practical HP/Torque limit for roadracing a W58?

What's the practical HP/Torque limit for roadracing a R154?

My targeted HP is 500HP at the crank. I've got a 2-plate Quartermaster clutch that will hold 600+ lb/ft of torque, and the rest of the motor will be built accordingly.

I only have a bellhousing for a W series, and I don't fancy the time involved in making a new bellhousing for a R154...

I suppose that begs another question - would people be interested in buying a R154 bellhousing if one were made?

Thanks in advance for all of your opinions, insights, advice, criticisms, or even just snide heckling!!!

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2004 19:51]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Thu, 15 July 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be very surprised if you broke a W58 behind a 2 litre engine, even if it does have 500hp. That's a lot of power but it's torque that kills gearboxes.

FWIW my W58 was quite happy behind a 400hp 2JZ-GTE for almost a year, and it only broke when I started flogging it (ie 2nd->3rd flatchanging on the freeway = fewer teeth on 3rd gear).
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Fri, 16 July 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So a W58, should happily supports a "BPU" 1JZGTE? (Exhaust, 11psi)??
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Fri, 16 July 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd Agree, just don't flog it, eg flat changes. Norbie would still be using his 2JZ W58 if it didn't cop the flogging it did.

wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Fri, 16 July 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S & W58. good match. no worries there..

been known to hold 400+ ft lbs in a drag supra.
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Fri, 16 July 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about shifting at 9000rpm? Do the W58 syncro bits handle the rotational speed, or do they start to get buggy and crash?
wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Fri, 16 July 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the W55/58's have been known to handle 8000rpms
behind 2TG/3T hybrids, 18RG..
same goes for a R150 box..on a built to hilt 8500rpm+ 13.2sec 1/4mile all motor 18RG 2371cc

510rob wrote on Fri, 16 July 2004 01:45

what about shifting at 9000rpm? Do the W58 syncro bits handle the rotational speed, or do they start to get buggy and crash?

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Sat, 17 July 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
510rob wrote on Fri, 16 July 2004 05:41

I'm doing a 3SGE/W58 swap, and I'm going to turbo the f**k out of it, but someone (with a bunch of indycar motors sitting in the background) put the scare into me that I should be doing a 3SGE/R154 swap because I'll probably end up twisting a W58...

This begs the questions:

What's the practical HP/Torque limit for roadracing a W58?

What's the practical HP/Torque limit for roadracing a R154?

My targeted HP is 500HP at the crank. I've got a 2-plate Quartermaster clutch that will hold 600+ lb/ft of torque, and the rest of the motor will be built accordingly.

I only have a bellhousing for a W series, and I don't fancy the time involved in making a new bellhousing for a R154...

I suppose that begs another question - would people be interested in buying a R154 bellhousing if one were made?

Thanks in advance for all of your opinions, insights, advice, criticisms, or even just snide heckling!!!

500hp out of a turbo 3sge ay? how much it costing you? WHat mods have u done to the motor to try and get this?
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Sat, 17 July 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr. Robson,
If you don't believe that I will ever make 500HP, great, but do you have an answer for my transmission question, or are you too special to help out here?

With respect to my motor,
* not going into a street car.
* not going to run pump fuel.
* not going to idle very well.
* not going to make power below 4000rpm
* not going to last long between rebuilds.

I bought eight 1000cc/min Bosch Motorsport injectors from Cosworth UK for $650 Cdn - was that low-cost? not at all, but it was definitely cheap for those parts...

Was it a good deal to spend $1100 Cdn on the comprehensive Ferrea valvetrain pack with all bits? Yep, here again you have to define what is low cost and what is cheap...

I have a 3SGE, and a T61 turbocharger (that's a pretty big one if you are unfamiliar with spec sheets and compressor tables), and a bunch of stuff that goes between the two to make them work as a team...

Anyway, I didn't come here to defend myself, my statements, nor to lie about HP targets; I came here to ask for people's experience with W-58 and R-154 transmissions.

Your moniker suggests that you've got a V8 in a MA61 - what transmission are you using? how much torque are you making? how much horsepower does the transmission stand up to? Do you have anything to offer?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Sat, 17 July 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill answer some of this for him considering id say he is asleep
he was going to use a w58 but decided to go with an r154 instead
he doesent know what the car is going to make power or torque wise yet, but alot!(though some would say less than a modded 2jz Razz)
his car isnt finished.. hopefully soon.. shotgun first friend passenger ride
wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Sat, 17 July 2004 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sat, 17 July 2004 02:48

500hp out of a turbo 3sge ay? how much it costing you? WHat mods have u done to the motor to try and get this?

actually 500hp from a 3SGTE isnt that hard if you spend enough $$.. some japanese tuners get past that mark..

[Updated on: Sat, 17 July 2004 19:18]

JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Sat, 17 July 2004 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for what its worth i had a 2JZGE W58 behind my 1 J with big turbo's etc only about 280rwhp though and ive used one behind my other 1 J also, never missed a beat lasted and as far as i know are still in action behind the two affoermentioned motors, they are good gearboxes, lighter than an r154 and alot more pleasant to drive with especially behind a 1J at least, i found shifts were not as fast or smooth with the R154 which is alot more like a truck gearbox, The 2JZGE gearbox from 93-98 n\a supra is definately the W58 to go for im told they are much stronger, and they seem to last with reasonable power, the main differance to old w58 i noticed when the covers were off was doubble synchro's on 2nd and 3rd different ratios and a different setup on 5th gear. I have heard of W58's stripping gearsets, but ive also heard similar of R154 but then again its amazing what people can do if they can't drive, the thrust bearing (think thats what its called) just inside the cover on the input shaft seems to be a weak point for these gearboxes, at least that's what the guy that repairs my boxes said, he has apparently had many of these boxes from high power aplications with this bearing completely boned, hope this is at least a little helpful, i'm not that much a guru on boxes.
cheers
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Sun, 18 July 2004 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome info - exactly the kind of info I've been asking for.

I understand the R154 has an inherent weakness with it's stock bearing retainer plate distorting under high load - the 4x4 crowd that use the R150 and R151 have a machined steel replacement piece to solve that, but I dind't know anything about the W58 having the same problem.

From what everyone has mentioned, I think I'll keep going on my W58 conversion and see what kind of abuse it takes.

My next step is to make a proper flywheel...
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Sun, 18 July 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will be very unluckly to experience problems with the W58 unless you plan brutal gear changes or launches on slicks - even then it should still hold up for a while.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Sun, 18 July 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
510rob wrote on Sat, 17 July 2004 20:39

Mr. Robson,
If you don't believe that I will ever make 500HP, great, but do you have an answer for my transmission question, or are you too special to help out here?

With respect to my motor,
* not going into a street car.
* not going to run pump fuel.
* not going to idle very well.
* not going to make power below 4000rpm
* not going to last long between rebuilds.

I bought eight 1000cc/min Bosch Motorsport injectors from Cosworth UK for $650 Cdn - was that low-cost? not at all, but it was definitely cheap for those parts...

Was it a good deal to spend $1100 Cdn on the comprehensive Ferrea valvetrain pack with all bits? Yep, here again you have to define what is low cost and what is cheap...

I have a 3SGE, and a T61 turbocharger (that's a pretty big one if you are unfamiliar with spec sheets and compressor tables), and a bunch of stuff that goes between the two to make them work as a team...

Anyway, I didn't come here to defend myself, my statements, nor to lie about HP targets; I came here to ask for people's experience with W-58 and R-154 transmissions.

Your moniker suggests that you've got a V8 in a MA61 - what transmission are you using? how much torque are you making? how much horsepower does the transmission stand up to? Do you have anything to offer?

Im using an r154, and my hp expectation is undisclosed

PS im glad your honest as to those reasons about your motor re its purpose.

And how the hell do you know my last name.

Edit: i also had to upgrade to a billet steel flywheel because i was told id have too much power and RPM...with a cast one i risk killing myself..literally. Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Sun, 18 July 2004 13:23]

510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Sun, 18 July 2004 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awwww SHIT - I just wrote a reply, then mistakenly erased it somehow... damn computers!!!

Blake, your real name is nested in your profile; I was looking to see what car you had listed, so I could get an idea of what you were working on. So I just threw your name up there. Don't worry about it - I'm on the other side of the globe, and I'm just another clown like the rest of them...

As for a flywheel, I agree; cast iron just plain wrong for high performance, and skip right past the various aluminum alloys; the necessary friction face is a big pissing contest of silly fiddle-fuss hardware. The proper material to use is 4140 Cro-Mo low alloy steel. Buy a short bar-cut of "4140 HTSR" (heat treated & stress relieved) and you can't go wrong; it is available as round bar in increments like 10, 11, 12, 13", and most suppliers can cut you off a 1" thru 3" piece no problem. It comes tempered as spring-range martensite at Rc 28-32, and it holds tolerance very well when being machined. As long as you don't have an interrupted cut, machining it is not a problem. When you see reference to a "chrome molybdenum" flywheel, this is the material they are referring to.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Sun, 18 July 2004 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always thought the R154 was a stronger gearbox than the 2J W58, hence the price differences.

Then reading the current ZOOM magazine last night, someone was asking what was better, and Martin Donnon (I think) replied "Stay away from R154 Gearboxes", I was quite surprised and shocked!!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Mon, 19 July 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think thats based on shift quality rather than anything else. all reports say r154 is stronger and it makes sense too
ive pointed this out in another thread
7mge-w58
7mgte-r154
1jzgte-r154
2jzge-w58
they used the r154 on all the later turbo cars(bar on new supras with the v160)
that would signify to me that toyota thought it the stronger box themselves

wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Mon, 19 July 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only because he broke a trust washer, had a winge about it in Zoom and think he fixed it by putting in a Landcruiser item... pfft. I bet he broke it again because the landcruiser item is infact the same part from toyota. eg just as crap. If he put a "unobtainium" custom washer it would have been ok.

I broke that part 2 times 4 years ago for me to work out that the washer is shit. It's the only let down on the box. However the R154 is still an awesome box, sheer TQ it can cope with is outstanding. Just don't treat it like shit. I think once you start getting into bigger clutches you really should get the Thrust washer replaced while your at it and it's better to tear down a working box and replace that item before it breaks than it costing you a 1st gear cluster.. I brought a 1st gear cluster new from Toyota Australia, last one in Australia at the time, $550 just for 1st gear. Because the washer breaks apart it rolls around inside the 1st gear cluster and messes it up nicely also taking out the rear bearing.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Mon, 19 July 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im running just a standard duty daikin clutch atm and its doing fine.
do u think i should do thrust washer some time?
and what should i really get it made out of
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Mon, 19 July 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if I get another car with a R154 in it, I'd wait till I got a Button or Multi-plate clutch before getting a thrust washer made out of cromoly or forged steel alloy. Or just put in a V160.. Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Mon, 19 July 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im only 19 atm.. so broke.. v160 isnt an option
i payed for my conversion with much saved money and 5 grand loan(but mostly own money)
my normal duty clutch hasnt slipped or anything yet
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Mon, 19 July 2004 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Standard clutch should be OK as long as you don't have sticky tyres/lots of traction. Being a gz10 soarer you don't have as much weight to push off the line, and it doesn't sound like you have lots of traction yet!! Essentially you'll break the weakest link first, so if you improve the traction you might need to upgrade the clutch (if it slips).
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Mon, 19 July 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivegot dunlop fm901's(which are sticky as hell)but hard suspension...no weight
so yes, traction is hard to come by
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Mon, 19 July 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get some 31x10.5R15's like me, then traction wont be an issue and youll kill the clutch soon enough. Youll probably have to pump the gaurds out a bit. Razz
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Mon, 19 July 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just bought an 11" clutch and pressure plate...me thinks the r154 is here to stay Wink
buccy
Regular

July 2004
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Tue, 20 July 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just wondering if you willing to spend alot of money of your engine why you would then skimp on the gearbox?

This car is obviously not going to be street driven so its either going to be a circuit car or drag car. Why not find a box that would better suit either one of these applications?
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Tue, 20 July 2004 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a good question, except that:
#1 - I like motors more than I like the cars they are stuck in.
#2 - I am not rich, and I am not sponsored (and my parents were never rich either).

Believe me; I would love to use a Saenz 5-speed and dry-sump the motor, but that is such a crazy waste of money; I still have to buy a house before I buy a dry sump and a gearbox! Priorities!

The W58 and R154 are available at almost every wrecker up here (Canada), so it just doesn't make financial sense to blow a down-payment for a piece of property on a gearbox that will get stuck in an occasional use toy car.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 July 2004 19:40]

poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions Wed, 21 July 2004 01:54 Go to previous message
I run a R154 with a exceedy 9 puck ceramic clutch and 2.5 tonne pressure plate. I had gearbox refurbished before i put it in december last year. They apparently put new 'beefier' bearings in and replaced the 2nd and 3rd syncros, and cleaned up reverse.

The gearbox goes well, but has started to make noise when out of gear after doing motorsport when its hot. Im using Redline MTL which i was told to USE OR ELSE by the place that rebuilt the box... i was thinking maybe go up to Redline Shockproof or something else... any recommendations?

(cars only putting out max 280ps at the wheels so i doubt i couldve damaged anything in there... only done maybe 6,000 or 7,000 kms since putting it in)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ac st185 -> ae93
Next Topic:Q 76 bonnet on 73 celica possible?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:35:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077250003814697 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.