Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid ... (up for sale).

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 15 April 2004 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The rear half-shafts off the ST185 GT-Four mated up to the diff and my rear wheels without incident. Cool It needs to have the stabilising bracket re-attached (welded) to the chassis rails, as the mounting points for the GT-Four's rear diff are a bit different. This won't be an issue however. Today it will be off the ramps and back on terra-firma for the time being, until the exhaust gets made up for it. In the meantime, the BOV was mated up via the medium-sized pipe on the TMIC. Looks cool. Razz I'll get some more photos of it tonight. All the flanges are on the exhaust components, all I need is the main pipe sections to join them all up. I'll have to have the split or "Y" in the exhaust pipe before the rear diff, so it goes directly under the two lower control arm mounts which will fit the pipe in very snugly. It's coming together well... I just hope this train of good luck keeps on rolling. Very Happy

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 19 April 2004 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The rear differential bolted up with a little modification being required (mounting bracketry), and she's now off the ramps. The LSD is somewhat heavier than the RAV4 rear diff. Confused The tailpipes were located and temporarily mounted on the RAV4 to see which way they'd fit best. Straight out like a normal exhaust isn't an option, the canon's are too fat, and hit the body instead. They might have to be tilted outward about 30° each from centre to line up the pipes from under the diff.

Here's how they look 'loose'...
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~skyfire/twin ex trial.jpg

The engine was dropped in on it's mounts today, no fitting issues here either. Very Happy Only problems I can foresee are: 1) the turbo might come too close to the thermatic fans (this can be overcome), and 2) the throttle body runners will most likely come into contact with the clutch master cylinder. Also the runners might need slight modifying so as not to come into contact with the firewall.

Other than that, the engine sits rather nicely in the bay, and the TMIC comes about level with the bracing of the bonnet when it's closed. The throttle body is my next concern, as I don't know how this sits in relation to the firewall, or how high it will be in relation to the bonnet. Surprised
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 21 April 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i live in the engadine ...
im surprised i havnt seen it around
im sure i would of noticed it...
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 21 April 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I usually don't go by Engadine, but the car's being rebuilt near there. At least the engine is in the car now, all it needs is the undercarriage to be sorted out (link up the half-shafts to the gearbox), the throttle body will need modifications, as will the location of the turbo. There's still a few things to sort out before she gets a kick-over.
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 21 April 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where is she gettin build atm?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 21 April 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not at a 'shop', if that's what ya thinkin'... Wink No a mate of mine is doing the dirty work on my beastie. Very Happy
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 21 April 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha o ok
well i might see it round in the future sometime
laterz
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 22 April 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm following this with much anticipation...

In other words. HURRY Up hehehe
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
man this car is gonna be sooo awesome when its done...
good luck..
how long now?
Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Fri, 23 April 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew congrats on how far the project is gone but i am sorry to say u have dissapointed me with your exhuast to wanker cannons. I am sorry but the look so rice and bodgie why cant you u use like two straight 3inch pipes i reckon would like nicer then two cannons. Sorry about that otherwise i cant wait till she goes wonder how well it will handle with all the power Smile, hehehe you can only dream for now heheh cheers mate.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 May 2004 03:52]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 28 April 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't believe you got that all out in one breath... Very Happy Use punctuation dude. Wink

Ok before I go disappointing anyone, how many RAV4's have you seen with 'wanker' canons on them? Out of all the ones I've seen up and down the east coast, I can put about two to memory. Agreed, they don't have a good standing in relation to some modifiers *in general*, but fair suck... the RAV4 deserves this. Besides I couldn't go straight pipes, not off a turbo. The undercarriage isn't shaped as simple as that. The 3" pipe still has to get under the rear diff and still clear 4" off the ground to be legal. THEN after that, it has to take the route that has least back-pressure - having the canons on angles is the only way it can be done. The main body of those canons is 6" across each... this leaves bugger-all room to play with in the rear to position them right before they are fixed up to the main pipe. Confused

How long now? How long is a piece of string.... hopefully not that long now, but I'm still finding stumbling blocks. #1) The engine is sitting a LOT lower in the engine bay than first thought, posing problems. One of these is where the turbo sits in relation to where the thermo fans are. One of these is ok where it sits (which is the Aircon), but the other is going to hit the turbo unless I can find something not quite as deep. #2) The dump pipe can't be used where it currently sits... there's not enough room for it to bolt up to the main turbo body from underneath. The solution to this is to make up a new dump pipe using the rear flange adapter, and going from there. I dare say it will probably be about 3.5" - 4" wide and the hi-flow cat will be mounted underneath instead of in front of the engine.

One positive to come out of this is that the intercooler isn't anywhere near as high as I first thought it might be, so a Cusco strut bar is still on the cards. Smile
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 29 April 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got a thermo-fan from SC tonight, not real flash but it will get me out of trouble. No one will see this either. Rolling Eyes It's just a basic 12" dia. 12-volt fan with a grille and clips. Fairly simple. This will get fitted up tomorrow, while another slave cylinder is sourced. The RAV4 cylinder is too big for the job, getting in the way of the throttle body runners. I'm guessing something like a Nissan 200SX slave cylinder would do, it's smaller at least. Only effect I'd feel is the clutch depth. Nothing I can't get used to. Confused
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 05 May 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bought a second-hand clutch MASTER cylinder (not slave) from an older Subaru I think... Confused Doesn't matter. It's less than the required 70mm that's needed for it to fit up nice. It can be modified, but the RAV4 cylinder can't - it's way too long (100mm).

In the process of exploding a wiring diagram so this baby can kick over and not short-circuit on the first try. Rolling Eyes Dare I say that things are starting to look up? Razz
Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 08 May 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if u have to use cannons to get the most performance well so be it. cheers matt hope you sort out all ur probs:)
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sun, 09 May 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problems are sorted now, just gotta get the wiring done and fit up the exhaust.

Snagged a clutch master cylinder out of a Suzuki Baleno the other day, it's the smallest one I could find. This is being mounted and plumbed-in right now.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sun, 09 May 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I promise everyone that when the engine is running again, I'll put up more pics of the setup. Nod Just have to find somewhere that will host 37mb of pics that I have so far... Shocked
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 18 May 2004 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiring loom is 90% hooked up, bought exhaust lengths yesterday, all 316-grade stainless. Custom dump pipe has to be made up off the compressor flange, a 2½" 90° bend is being used for this. Nothing else will fit in that space. From there it's 3" everything baby... except for the 4" hot-dog and the canons. Razz

Will it be this weekend??
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon6.gif  Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Fri, 21 May 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Work has started on the exhaust system, with the custom dump pipe being made up off the compressor flange yesterday. Today the front section of the piping was made up, and it turns out that the 3" pipe is a bit of a squeeze through the crossmember, as it can't run below it because it's too low. I have to have 4 inches clearance between the pipe and the ground to keep it legal.

The exhaust is in several sections - the dump pipe, the section leading to the cat converter, the cat, the next section to the hotdog, the hotdog, a section to the Y-piece and the twin pipes off the Y-piece. Only the front section is done so far, and the rest is "planned" for the weekend. Wink
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 22 May 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so close
so so very close
you must be getting rather anxious to have this completed already Smile
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 22 May 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So anxious that words defeat the feeling...

JUST GIMME MY FRICKIN' CAR BACK ALREADY!! Razz
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 29 May 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checked out the car again today, and the exhaust was in it's final stages. There's been a lot of work put into it so far, with one section of the exhaust pipe just after the rear diff (split off into a Y) about a foot in length, had about 10 different direction changes, all welded together seamlessly. It's this kind of detail that puts the car further behind in terms of getting it on the road again, but in front in terms of detail. Smile I think it's two more welds to go and the exhaust system is complete. Just has to be hooked up to the underbody as well.

The car's wiring is complete, just gotta find a way to defeat the factory immobiliser so it can be hooked up to the ignition barrel and be turned over by key, not hot-wired like it currently is. Very Happy I heard it crank over today, a sound I've been waiting for for quite some time now. It didn't kick because the fuel's not hooked in yet (the pump isn't wired in), but it did crank and it's definitely a lower sounding crank than a RAV4 ususally has. Need to wire-in the turbo timer and get the ignition right. Rolling Eyes
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 31 May 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got the exhaust completed yesterday, pics are now up on my WebShots photo album here. Sorry Matt20v, you're not going to like the look of the ass-end, but ... you can't win them all. Razz

Not much left to do now, just the rest of the wiring, refitting of stuff, all the (time-consuming Laughing) fiddly shit. Rolling Eyes
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 31 May 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy shit man... There seems to be a shitload of welds in those rear pipes... Prolly explains the wait for so long...
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 31 May 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, it took a lot of lining-up to get them right, and a fair bit of progressive "path-correction" to mate up the left canon with the right.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 31 May 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice to see it coming along finally Razz Razz Razz ...

Hope to see it on the road soon...
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 10 June 2004 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New pics added to my gallery in webshots here.... The back end is seeing some improvements, although now the igniter coil and ECU could be about to make my day worse.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Fri, 18 June 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was patient before, but now this is pissing me off. Mad Both the coil and the ECU have been tested and cleared of any fault. The loom has been completely re-wired, and the only two other remaining components (the relay box and the distributor cap) have been tested and passed continuity and resistance. Confused

So with all four of those areas covered for "spark", we're at a loss to find out what the problem is. It cranks over, so it's not the immobiliser, and fuel is getting delivered normally. Rolling Eyes
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Fri, 18 June 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eeek dude what a pain!

to be THIS CLOSE!!

what an amazing journey mate, hoefully it will be all sorted on Dyno Day.. you are not coming to the meetin on Monday are you? Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 19 June 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conversions are fun!

So whats the problem no spark at the plugs?

What does the immobiliser kill?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 19 June 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you checked that the dizzy is actaully giving a signal from its magnetic pickup? u probably have...

I want to see this at dyno day dude
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 19 June 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 - depends on whether or not the RAV is back together.

BlackSupra - indeed they are fun, and a great experience - albeit sometimes frustrating. The factory immobiliser kills both fuel and spark.

Witzl - yeah everything has been checked, and you WILL see it at Dyno Day. Wink

UPDATE!

It's ALIVE! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Evil or Very Mad

Had a friend of mine bring an oscilloscope around to check out what was wrong with it. Turns out one of the "pulse wires" (??) was broken and then fixed up. It now lives and breathes. Laughing Unfortunately I didn't get to hear it running as it later ran out of fuel, so I brought around a 20L tin of fuel to give it a needy drink, so I can hear it tomorrow. Only thing is it might be a bit lean. A Jap-spec ECU and motor (expecting 100-octane but only getting 93-octane fuel), might conflict a bit - but octane booster can fix that up. Wink
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 19 June 2004 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
w00t!!! That must've been the best fucking feeling in the world! Very Happy

Congratulations dude - I can't wait to see this beast Smile
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sun, 20 June 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finally the words i've been waiting to see in this thread, gotta be the best feeling now, congrats on having the patience to wait so long Very Happy
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sun, 20 June 2004 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's in re-assembly phase now, everything going back together. Also some clamps didn't quite have the best fit, which I'm changing over tomorrow. Other than that, it'll be sometime during the week when I can pick her up (hopefully). Wink

Wish me luck.

Peace.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 21 June 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad to hear it mate, this is going to be one awesome car! Cant wait to see it!
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 21 June 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 00:08

Glad to hear it mate, this is going to be one awesome car! Cant wait to see it!

You got that damn right dude... I'm so unhappy that my camera doesn't have sound input (microphone) attached to it... I'd have recorded it when it kicked over today - such a glorious sound coming from such an unexpecting ride. Wink
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Fri, 09 July 2004 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anymore updates?? Smile
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 12 July 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apologies to all who expected to see it at Dyno Day 9... the turbo seals were shot, so I decided to have it rebuilt. The prognosis was bleak, as the CT20B (Jap-spec) is a very hard unit to find parts for. In a way I'm kinda glad that it was for two reasons - realistically, it saved me having to hi-flow the sucker down the track by spending an extra couple of hundred bucks on it when it was out of the car, and the second reason... everything else about this phase of the project has been done the hard way, I'm kind of glad this follwed suit! Shocked

Had to refinance one of my loans, but I got it done and it's back now, no longer a fully-fledged CT20B. Instead it's a hi-flowed CT26 beast with a 56mm steel compressor wheel (had to piss the stock ceramic one off), all sitting nicely in the polished CT20B casing. Looks shitloads better and won't blow out white smoke when it's warm now either! That was the only sign that the turbo seals were gone. Other than that, I couldn't fault it... it was the right turbo for the job, coming on boost at about 1800 RPM and zero lag. Now because of a slightly larger turbine, it will come on boost about 100-200 RPM later, but the result won't be that different that you'll notice it. Smile
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 15 July 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey u got a link so nice external pics from the end of project i could only find the ones after mags went. or maybe post some pics Smile
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 15 July 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been saving up my 400+ pics of the entire install, from when it was a front-cut to what it looks like now. I'll be posting them up on my http://www.rav4oz.com/ site, but that's in the next month or so when I compile them all. I'll sift through my photos and see if I can get a few up here that are good examples of the work done to it. The rest of the progressional pics are on my webshots page, which has a link to it a couple of pages back... I think. Confused
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 17 July 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The saga continues...

The beast got it's first run on Thursday afternoon Very Happy, but the turbo couldn't boost more than 4Psi Sad. This led us to believe it's the fuel pump not delivering enough when needed, and subsequently 'starving' the engine of fuel. Got a Bosch 500hp pump from Injection Perfection on Thursday, and Chris was going to mount it up secondary to the stock pump this weekend.

As far as any other hurdles go, that's it. Race is over. I'm very pleased that it actually was road-bound once more, if only for a drive around the block. So upset I wasn't behind the wheel (or even in the car) when it was out. Crying or Very Sad
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 17 July 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First page details updated!
dimsum
Regular

May 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 21 July 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUDE! UR CAR TEH R0XZ0R!!!
sorry to hear about the break in.
nice job!
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 21 July 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uh thanks dude - I think I'll take that as a compliment. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 24 July 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's all back together now, looking nice and tidy (if a little dirty on the exterior), the ECU has been relocated to it's permanent position (instead of on the passenger seat), the new Bosch 500hp has been fitted up and re-connected, we're still a bit dicey on the turbo even though it's been rebuilt and hi-flowed, it didn't sound quite right last time it went out for a round-the-block-blatt. This could have been attributed to a number of factors - ECU not handling lower-than-average fuel octane, turbo not quite balanced up right from when it was rebuilt, not enough fuel getting into the system making it starve at 4Psi, who knows. But we'll know soon as the RAV-GT4 gets it's run today sometime. Fingers-crossed. Rolling Eyes Razz
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 28 July 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heya andrew
heard from chrises younger brother that your beast is running.....and running daym fine in its test run
apparently you should enjoy your beast
let me know when ya pick it what its like in your own workds Smile
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 28 July 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tell me your not still running 93 octane in it?
98ron at least for a JDM engine!
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 29 July 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ay andrew i just read your whole project from start to now and hell my eyes feel sandpaper, a shitload of respect goes out to you for making this happen and being so dedicated to the project, i love what you have done with the rav, until now i always frowned on ravs, but ya've changed my whole view on them, at the beginning of the year i baught an st162 celica that i was going to turn into a bit of a project, just after getting almost everything i needed to supercharge it, my engine blew on a dyno, so for the last 4 months i have been carless replacing the engine facing problem after problem after problem, my latest is some dipshit (namely me) took my altinator off without unhooking the battery and let the livewire drop onto my exhaust manifold, doing funny things to my electrics, if it wasnt for that she would be going again and on her way to becomming a project.

sorry for the long post and dont mean to hijack your thread, just wanted to say you have done a flippin awesome job so far...respect
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 29 July 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift - no I'm not running 93 in it, I just gave her two 20L drums of Optimax, which is being used to fine tune the beasty now.

Neil - yep I talked to him tonight about how he went with that test run. He really shit his gear hard dude. Razz He had his heart sucked to the back of his chest when he stabbed the throttle. He told me he had trouble breathing after he got out, as well as having the shakes in a BIG way. I'm guessing he was thinking the wheels would slip or something - ahhh, AWD. Traction City. Very Happy That was his first drive of a turbo car as well. He's not sure whether he wants to go with Nissan or Toyota when he does his project, but he's now a huge fan of Toyota gear. Nod

-=DV=- - I've converted a few people's thinking here in Toymods, them having the same contempt for the small AWD "vehicle that could". Rolling Eyes It's amazing how many fans you pick up along the way when you make a dream become a reality. Cool For me it's just dogged determination and a huge will to succeed that's pulling me through this project. I'm just glad that I don't have a house, wife or kids to support - otherwise they'd be up shit creek! Evil or Very Mad There's at least half a dozen other projects on RAV4's that I'm currently keeping up with at this point in time, all of them taking my lead in the modifications of their RAV4's. A couple are 3S-GE projects, the rest are 3S-GTE's mostly chopped out of MR-2's. Other's I've talked to are interested in turbo'ing the stock 3S-FE block in much the same way that AVO Turbo did, only with a revised setup and forged internals instead. Very Happy

Also congrats goes to you for having the stamina to get through 23 pages (so far) of my project. I'm glad it was worth the read. I do hope your project comes along - it sounds like a nice project too. Yours has been off the road for as long as mine has now. Confused I'm itching to get her back.

Peace guys. Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 29 July 2004 13:23]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 29 July 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An update on recent happenings...

Because the new fuel pump was putting out a LOT more fuel than was expected (pumping it in at 55Psi, should be around 40), I had to get a fuel pressure regulator. I was going to go for a basic Malpassi reg, but I was more drawn to the 6061-billet aluminium of the Sard reg instead. Fittings also bolt up directly to the stock 3S-GTE fuel rail with fittings supplied. Today I got a fuel regulator gauge to mount onto the regulator. Should have gotten one of these to start with. Rolling Eyes This one goes up to 145Psi (or 1000kPa), and only cost $25 with a 1/8 NPT fitting. Smile Hooked it up to the regulator tonight, will find out tomorrow how well we can tune the fuel coming in.

When the car started up tonight, the regulator seemed to alter the smoothness of the idle, if only momentarily. Razz Was kind of refreshing to know that it's not going to sound like a modded Rotary with lumpy cams... Laughing It had a nice smooth note to it. After this is tuned in right, as far as we can see that's all that needs to be done.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sun, 01 August 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We reset the timing back to normal (about 9° retard), then it developed this 'pop' at cold idle. The idle fluctuates too, although I don't know if this has anything to do with the 'pop'. Put on a timing light and 1st cylinder isn't firing (even with new plugs). The dissy cap was replaced yesterday, didn't fix it. Tested the igniter and CDI on Gary's ST205, wasn't the problem either. This leaves only leads and distributor to check out.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 03 August 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The one thing we nearly overlooked (rotor button) turned out to be the key to the mis-firings in the engine. Confused $10 well-spent. Very Happy

We thought it was leads for sure, but the replacement distributor cap and rotor button made all the difference. Now it's purring like a kitten, with a very nice smooth note. Only one thing was disrupting the harmony of the engine, and that was a worn timing belt pulley (more like an oversized bearing if anything), which I listened to through a stethescope this afternoon. I got a replacement and Chris is fitting it up tomorrow. Once again, put everything back together and it's mine once more. Evil or Very Mad Laughing Only need to plumb-up two pipes (one of which is the return of the BOV to the air intake, essential to avoid getting "canaried"), and the other is the factory catch-can equivalent. Anyway Chris will take it for another run tomorrow and make any adjustments (if needed) to further tune it.

So good to hear it running normally and SOOOO smooth.... not even a vibration when I put my hand on a panel. It's been nicely-balanced. Nod

Bring it on!! Razz Evil or Very Mad
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 07 August 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would you believe Toyota sold me the wrong timing belt? Shocked Back when the engine was being reassembled I bought this and though nothing more of it. It turns out that the one I bought (Toyota supplied) hs 178 teeth in it, where the factory one needs to be 177...! Got another one (177-tooth) and that's being put on to replace it. Toyota were scratching their heads (as usual) as to why there were two different variants of timing belt with one tooth difference.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 10 August 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The belt that I found the other day was 177 teeth, but was twice the length of the one I need. Embarassed Surprised

Sourced the correct timing belt today, only to find that it was a part number I had been staring at for about a week. Rolling Eyes It turns out that Sutherland Toyota parts had sold me the 178-tooth 3S-GE version (N/A), when I needed the 3S-GTE version instead (177-tooth). The strange thing is that the part number that's listed ON the timing belt isn't the part number that Toyota stocks. Confused I know, it's very confusing when you're trying to order another timing belt and all you have for a reference is a belt with 177 teeth on it and a null-and-void part number on the belt. Sad The part number on the belt suggests that it's for a Yamaha head (the 3S-GTE head), but the listing Toyota has for that part is nothing of the sort... only the first 5 numbers are the same when I'm looking for all 10 to be identical.

Does anyone know why Toyota does this? It's a very strange practice and I'd like to find out the reasons behind it.

Anyway, the timing belt is the right one, it will be installed and tested tomorrow and hopefully that will be just about it. Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 10 August 2004 14:24]

joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 11 August 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome to hear that it's going so well! Do you have any movies or even an audio file of it running? It would be great to hear/see it in action!

-J-

[Updated on: Wed, 11 August 2004 13:36]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 11 August 2004 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah nothing like that yet, although I would like to do that too. Nod
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 12 August 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you want you can come out to Baulkham hills way and I can record you a movie and sound - but you gotta get here. I'm sure as hell not going all the way to miranda! Or even if you can get somewhere relatively close and we can meet up.

-J-
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 12 August 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well let me know if you're going to show up at one of the up-coming meets and you could get some audio/video of it then. Very Happy

Updates...

Things are on-track for a release sometime this weekend. Laughing Bought some clamps and various hoses this afternoon to finish off the engine bay. Just need to fit them up and away we go. Cool
Chamelion
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 12 August 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well....

My first thought was "A RAV4!? Why bother?".... Seems I was wrong.

Very well done.

Matt.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 12 August 2004 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your positive feedback Matt. There were a lot of skeptics and people putting down the RAV4 when Toymods was young, but I've since converted quite a few people's way of thinking. There still aren't that many people who think a RAV4 is worth modifying, but there are those who are determined (just like me) to make something of a "soft-roader", and turn it into a "ride". Most of these people (in Australia) can be found at http://www.rav4oz.com and the rest of the people around the world are at either http://www.rav4expedition.com or http://rav4world.com Smile

I'll be looking forward to taking a test-drive in her this weekend. I don't think you'll be able to wipe the smile off my face. Very Happy
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 16 August 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
So Andrew, howd it go?U get to take it for its spin?Is it everything u wanted and more? Tell us how it all went, post some pics, sounds files or somethin. We're all hanging for it.

Congrats too mate, a true work of art
Pages (8): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tims ae 92 sx
Next Topic:My '91 "Baby" Camtegra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 03:37:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0099849700927734 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.