Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
INTJ
Occasional Poster

May 2004
1JZ top end rattle Mon, 19 July 2004 07:44 Go to next message
Hi,

I've got a Hilux with a 1JZ, the top end of the motor has started to rattle when idling, It sounds like some kind of tappet rattle, not a heavy clacking like a cam. I'm hoping its not too serious. Could anyone give me any pointers, are there any clearances that need to be set periodically ? Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Mon, 19 July 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you may have a sticky lifter...run some upper cylinder through the fuel and see if it helps at all. Also do an oil change with GOOD oil.

If those dont work, come back to us.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 July 2004 07:49]

INTJ
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Mon, 19 July 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi mate, thanks for your reply.

"run some upper cylinder through the fuel and see if it helps at all"

I am in Thailand, could you tell me what this means. Sorry to sound stupid. Is it some kind of fuel additive ?

Thanks.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Mon, 19 July 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
upper cylinder is an additive made by "nulon" and wynns - i dont know what brands you have over there!

You just buy it from any automotive store. Its in a 500ml bottle normally...you just add a whole bottle when you put your next full tank of fuel in!
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Mon, 19 July 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1JZ's have buckets and shims (no lifter's) with the cam acting directly on the valve via the bucket/shim arrangement.

Your valve shim clearances might be out at a guess if the noise is quite quiet?

Cheers
Wilbo
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Mon, 19 July 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when did this noise start and what was the car doing at the time?

I also have a 1jz with a noise that sounds liks a tappet rattle and have checked heaps of things and still can't find it.

do a search for "1jz problem" and you can see what I have done to try and find the problem.

How quick is this tap compared to the revs? is there any other things strange with the engine like idle quality or compression?

INTJ
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Wed, 21 July 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The car idles perfectly, and the sound is akin to a fast clicking. From what i can gather the noise does not disappear when the revs increase (ie. when oil pressure increases), it just becomes inaudible due to the noise of the engine and fan. Its a fairly "light" sound, and seems as though it originates from one of the cylinders towards the rear of the engine (ie. closer to the bulkhead). As I said, even at idle, the noise seems fairly "fast". it.

"Your valve shim clearances might be out at a guess if the noise is quite quiet"

If this is the problem, is it a relatively minor job that any workshop could do, or is it a lot more "involved" ? Finding a decent spanner over here is more than difficult.

Also, if left untreated, will this eventually lead to anything serious ?

Many Thanks Guys.

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Wed, 21 July 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no it wont lead to anything major, but if you notice it gets worse..might be time to act accordingly!
INTJ
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Wed, 21 July 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have just read Chris Davey's "1JZ problem" thread and bingo ! I would say my car has exactly the same symptoms. The only difference is mine is a 1JZGE (non turbo) - so Chris, I hope that helps you a bit !

Cheers.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Wed, 21 July 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the way you describe the noise, it seems like mine is a louder noise? hard to tell when neither of us have heard each others engines though Smile

I thought you were in brisbane when i first read this topic and I was already for a trip to come and hear another rattly 1jz! Razz

My noise can definitely be heard when the revs go up, the noise gets quicker.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Wed, 21 July 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it manual? could it be the thrust bearing?

also could it be the injectors?
INTJ
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Wed, 21 July 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Automatic (unfortunately), so that rules out the thrust bearing. When you say injectors what exactly do you mean ? Would fauly injectors make a similar noise to the one I have described ?

Cheers.

poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Wed, 21 July 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 1j has a funny rattle, seems to come from top of the motor, never really been able to isolate it..... but its had it for 4 years, done maybe 4 or 5 track days, 10 autokhana days, lots of supersido, nuts, poor attempted drifting, and it still going strong.

They are fairly noisey engines, i boonged around for ages, put it down to maybe a bearing on one of the pulleys on the front of the motor and the noise was just resonating around or something... its never affected the running of the car.. car is serviced every 4,000kms, i tried using mobile 10w instead of 5w incase the old buggar was getting worn or something... but yeah still the same.

unless anyone else knows what it is, maybe get a workshop to offer an opinion?, i wouldnt lose any sleep over it, end of the day 1j in fairly stock form is bulletproof from what you read/hear/experience.

- Russ
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Wed, 21 July 2004 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
INTJ: just pull your injector plugs off one at a time and if the noise stops then that is it. the car will run on 5 cylinders and drop revs though.

poombah: I know what you mean but I can tell you that my noise is NOT a normal noise! I think that INTJ's sounds like more of a regular noise though.
INTJ
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Thu, 22 July 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris,

I was asking if it was likely that a faulty injector could cause the noise I have described, before I start messing about with it.

Regards.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Thu, 22 July 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been told they can make noises like that but still work. do the test I said it is easy as and will eliminate it if that is the problem.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Thu, 22 July 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
worn out injectors makes a rattly noise as well...my 7m does it until it warms up!
slylux
Regular

January 2003
    nup
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Fri, 23 July 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine didnt use to make a rattle , but it does make it now .. loudish when first started then queits down a fair bit after warm .. also a 1jz in a hilux .. um my halfcut had 63 km ive done another 7km on it , changing oil every 2-2500 kms so far ..

Damm 1jz maybe just rattle boxes ?
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Fri, 23 July 2004 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slylux: do you mean when you first start it when it is cold it makes more of a clunking sound on low revs? That's what mine does then goes away after a while when it's warm and at higher revs.

I haven't a clue what it is.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you two can just be grateful that your noise goes away after a while! Razz

I wish mine would FUCKING go away!!!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Sat, 24 July 2004 10:39

you two can just be grateful that your noise goes away after a while! Razz

I wish mine would FUCKING go away!!!

drive it till it dies!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is the injectors making that rattle. Mine sounds awful when first starting, and if you listen you can tell its the injectors. As soon as its warm, quiet as a mouse.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Injecotrs rattling? It sounds more bottom end than anything. It's quite loud and clunky. It goes away when it warms up with the revs rising.

What oil do you use Chris? Mobile 1 is too thin.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
told u danish Wink
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About the injectors or the oil?

Yeah, I stopped using that a while ago now! I use Motul 4100 turbolight. 10W40.

I know it's not the injectors though. What else could it be? Lubrication problem?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try hpr30 like i told you Wink
its 20w 60.

I was talking about the oil doofus.

Rattling bottom end, can just be worn out parts. my dads fairmont ghia is doing this occasionally now, its just turned 200,000km with std engine, never touched. Wear is showing.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 July 2004 10:33]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danish wrote on Sat, 24 July 2004 18:17

What oil do you use Chris? Mobile 1 is too thin.

You mean you were using the wrong Mobil 1... Rolling Eyes
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd have to order that HPR30 in (it's probably only semisynthetic too), I looked for it everywhere and settled on Motul instead. 20W seems to thick.

DOOFUS!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are keen on synthetic, try a different Mobil 1, they come in like 5 different viscosities.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sat, 24 July 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danish wrote on Sat, 24 July 2004 21:18

I'd have to order that HPR30 in (it's probably only semisynthetic too), I looked for it everywhere and settled on Motul instead. 20W seems to thick.

DOOFUS!

Dude you can get it from supercheap or anywhere! its a mineral oil!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sun, 25 July 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did use 10w30, then tried some HPR 30 to fix the problem, (didn't), now running 5w40. I usually use Repsol.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sun, 25 July 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris did you try some of that moreys oil shit? How about the upper cylinder...Im not saying these will fix..but worth a try!
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sun, 25 July 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mineral oil in a 1JZ, that's a big negative. And they don't have it here in SA at the time I bought oil.

I checked Repco, SuperCheap, AutoPro, Autobarn.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sun, 25 July 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell me why its a big negative?

IM damn sure toyota woudlnt have specd fully synthetic oil back in the late 80s when 1jzs were designed. Correct me if im wrong!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sun, 25 July 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
injectors dont make a rattle in 1jz
they make a ticking
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sun, 25 July 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ticking injectors = normal, running well injectors (any motor)

Rattly = worn out/ dirty injectors (any motor)
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sun, 25 July 2004 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh! It still clunks more than rattles.

cold start...(500-700RPM)clunk, clunk, clunk.... rev
it higher, slightly goes away... warm it up... gone.

La bang, w00t.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sun, 25 July 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, tried it. Didn't work either Sad

I think my problem is in the bottom end somehow. Hopefully just going to swap in another engine and use mine for spares.

and mine is definitely more of a clunk than a tap
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1JZ top end rattle Sun, 25 July 2004 23:35 Go to previous message
chris's is definately more a clunk than a tap
mine never makes a clunk sound.. only a tap
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Would MA70 shocks fit a MX83?
Next Topic:GZE vs GE wiring looms/ecu etc
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:35:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00813889503479 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.