Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
W5* in AE86 Fri, 23 July 2004 03:19 Go to next message
Hey guys,
I have searched and found a few threads.. call me dumb but i dont think ive come out any smarter Sad

I need my fellow toymodders help, ive killed 2 t50's in 1 week and i havnt even done anything stupid. The torque changing through the gears in a straight line has killed both. It was due to be bought tonight too Sad Guess im keeping it..

Basically i need to know what exact things i need to do/find to fit a w5* of some sort into my ae86 with 4agte.

W55 seem to have the closest ratios to the t50 so that would be ok. W57/58 are stronger apparently but come in different guises.

Which do i pick?
And i have found a w5* bell housing adapter in the US for a pretty good price by searching through this forum but its still around $400 + everything else i need..

Thats the next question..
What do i need? new clutch? tailshaft mods? box cross member?

Please help Smile

thanks guys

Alem
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: W5* in AE86 Fri, 23 July 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all the GZE stuff is the same as W5* series boxes.

If you are using the GZE flywheel, then get a GZE clutch. The E series g.boxes on the gze's have same input shaft as W5* boxes

If you are using the 4age flywheel, then you will need to find something that matches the W5*/E5* input shaft and your flywheel diameter (maybe an 18R clutch?)
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: W5* in AE86 Fri, 23 July 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply dude,
Sorry i should have mentioned i am using the 4age flywheel/clutch combo.
It is using an exedy heavy duty clutch with a custom 1 tonne pressure plate..
The clutch plate would def need to be changed i understand that as the splines are different.. Pressure plate might still be ok to use?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: W5* in AE86 Fri, 23 July 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i rekon you can stick with the same pressure plate - so long as the bellhousing you have uses the same clutch fork and release bearing i think?

Im not an expert on that stuff.
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: W5* in AE86 Fri, 23 July 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point will find out about that.. Thanks dude

Anyone else know anything bout this conversion?

thanx
Alem
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: W5* in AE86 Fri, 23 July 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am no expert but have been sniffing around a bit.

Apparently the clutch issue is no worries. You could take your current friction plate to a clutch joint and get them to put a new spline in the centre for whatever box you are using. If not then they should be able to do a custom one.

Will certainly need a new tailshaft because of the different length of box. No big deal there though either.

What puzzles me is the fitting of clutch slave, clutch fork, carrier bearing etc...

Castlemaine rod shop (run by Rod Hadfield I think) does a good bell housing for 4a to W5* and it comes with all parts needed. Dellows also do one but I haven't heard rave reviews. Or talk to AZA510 on here, he has made adapter kits to fit W5* onto the back of a 4a bellhousing.

Should give you some people to talk to to get the ball rolling.

Hen

On the other hand I haven't killed a T50 in 6 months and I do stupid things constantly. Maybe just lucky.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: W5* in AE86 Fri, 23 July 2004 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[EDIT - Double post]

[Updated on: Fri, 23 July 2004 15:02]

arena
Regular

January 2003
      ?
Re: W5* in AE86 Sun, 25 July 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the input shaft on the w58 box's is identical to that of the t50.

with the converted bellhousing all you should need to do is exchange the bellhousing and then bolt her up. your clutch and all should be fine is the bellhousing is modified correctly.

if you would like to know more you clould contact anthony kellam or nick86 on thos forum and he has a w58 box in his 4agte hatchi at the moment.

good luck.

shane.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: W5* in AE86 Sun, 25 July 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arena wrote on Sun, 25 July 2004 12:16

the input shaft on the w58 box's is identical to that of the t50.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

would you like me to go outside, take a picture of both a T50 and a W50 side by side and prove you wrong?

T50's have this teeny tiny little input shaft, which is the same as a C series FWD gearbox.

W series boxes have a bigger input shaft and splines which is the same as the E series FWD gearboxes (from 4agze's).

I think you have your information mixed up somewhere dude.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 July 2004 02:47]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W5* in AE86 Sun, 25 July 2004 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a W55 in my AE86/4AG turbo, and after some enbattlement, I managed to get it working fine with the Dellhousing. Do a search, I've talked about this before, or feel free to ask me anything you need to. If you get bored one night you can even ring me if you like Evil or Very Mad

The one GOOD feature about that dellhousing, amongst its many bad points, is it let me mount the starter on the other (non exhaust) side!
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: W5* in AE86 Mon, 26 July 2004 10:17 Go to previous message
i got a W59 in the sprinter, got any questions just ask. dodgy-ass bellhousing and the starter is right under the turbo Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Head Annodising
Next Topic:3t questions???????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:44:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046501159667969 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.