Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tRanCe_gOd
Newcomer

July 2004
3sgte conversion Sun, 18 July 2004 13:58 Go to next message
iv been looking at better engines to fit in my 88 prelude, my conclusion is a 3sgte, iv seen it done to an 88 celica which has very impressive results. reason not choosing another honda engine, because i want something turbo ready.

does anyone see possibilities in this project?

could anyone give me an estimate on what i would be looking at for a 3sgte, transmission & ecu?

how hard would it be to find a half cut gt4?

is there anything i should be looking out for?

thanks
appreciate everyones feedback

-kaz

Send a private message to this user    
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3sgte conversion Sun, 18 July 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i have done the conversion in to an 87 celica. Since it is already FWD then there is a good start. As for the rest, i would only be guessing. As u would have to change so much, it would probally be cheaper to find an ST165, same as the 88 celica that u have seen, but it would be 4WD.

I would have to say not to do this conversion unless u are willing to spend alot of money, have alot of time and u really want to keep the prelude body.

To start off u would have to strip the wiring harness back to individual wires and put it back together. The cross member would have to be modified(either one doesn't really matter). All the engine mounts would have to be moved to suit the engine. And so on.

If u still want to go ahead with the conversion, i have lots of info about putting it into a Gen 4 celica. Its only info so its free.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3sgte conversion Mon, 19 July 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like a head-**** to me as well, you'd have better luck just turbo'ing your current engine. Chances are there are kits out there for your car, blitz may be a place to start looking.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 3sgte conversion Mon, 19 July 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also - hond engines are mounted the OTHER WAY AROUND!!!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3sgte conversion Mon, 19 July 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point on that front Smile
tRanCe_gOd
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: 3sgte conversion Mon, 19 July 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i knew that honda has their transmissions on the opposite side to other engine makers, but with the correct engine mounts, is it still possbile to make the project work.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sgte conversion Mon, 19 July 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything is possible with enough time and money thrown at it. The people here are trying to point it it's far more trouble than it's worth. That said, it's your money so if you want to do it go right ahead!
tRanCe_gOd
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: 3sgte conversion Mon, 19 July 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.. can anyone estimate how much i would be looking at then?
i was thinking at the most 6 grand.. because i hav friend who is a mechanic and carried out an engine swap for his celica, and i hav another mechanic friend who will be able to help me out with the engine mounts..

but then again i may be way off..
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 3sgte conversion Mon, 19 July 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
custom engine mounts, crossmembers, driveshafts, gearbox mounts, cooling pipes... the list goes on.

Then you have the fitment issues such as engine height, steering clearance, sump etc.

Not worth it at all.

Rebuild the current motor for boost and then turbo it. Its going to be a lot nicer and a lot cheaper.. with the same performance.

Plus you won't have people laughing at you for mixing Toyota and Honda (from both sides of the fence) Smile

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget the "lean" that the 3S motor sits on, it effectively makes it a massive engine, so clearances are going to be VERY tight.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 July 2004 05:54]

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3sgte conversion Mon, 19 July 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to agree with Spectral, it would be cheaper to rebuild the engine u have, with forgies, stroke it and new cams, etc.
Then at a later date or at the same time put a turbo on. Engine management system, exaust upgrade. And while you're doing the upgrade don't forget about upgrading ur brakes.

If u really think that u need to change engine look in to what engines bolt in. Wide cams, larger capacity, etc. Its not the best to just go that engine is good i want it in this car.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3sgte conversion Mon, 19 July 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take that figure of 6000 and multiply it by two(ish) to get an idea of the real cost.
tRanCe_gOd
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: 3sgte conversion Mon, 19 July 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i think that gives the 3sgte engine swap a no go..

thanks allot everyone
appreciated the oppinions
medlock
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 3sgte conversion Fri, 23 July 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey m8 im wanting to put a 3sgte engine in my 87 3sge celica and you said you have done it in an 88 right? how hard was it, what gearbox did you use to overcome the 4wd problem? how much did u pay for the 3sgte engine etc. any help is much appreciated m8, thanx.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3sgte conversion Sun, 25 July 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To save you asking the same q's all the time medlock - try going to Fours'N'More (in Poorake I believe) and talking to someone about your engine conversion there. If I'm correct they can help you out, plus you'll get realistic advice and an actual price.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 3sgte conversion Sun, 25 July 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
88 'lude????? ugh, buy another car fullstop I personally say or stick a vtir sticker on it (haha sorry)!
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 3sgte conversion Sun, 25 July 2004 14:38 Go to previous message
I'm a bit anti-prelude for personal experience reasons haha. But a GT4 maybe?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:T50
Next Topic:Back in action... DOH, now this
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:29:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047149658203125 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.