Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jogger
Occasional Poster

June 2002
4A-C carbie Sun, 22 September 2002 13:30 Go to next message
hey all,

i am just wondering if i can put another carbie on my a-c engine, and what sort of performance it will give me. what sort of $$$$$ will i be looking at and are there any brands that are recommended??? also will i have to change anything else or just swap them??? will it use more fuel???

also are there any more mods that i can do, (at a resonible price) that will help out with the performance????

thanx heaps for any responses! Grin
  Send a private message to this user    
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A-C carbie Sun, 22 September 2002 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is no point putting a different carb onthe 4AC.

I know its not what most beginners like to hear, but the best way to get any performance from a 4AC is to dump it in the ocean and install a 4AGE.

It may be a tad more expensive, but in both the long and short run you'll thank me.

Actually depending on your idea of expensive it may be cheaper than you think.....
jogger
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 4A-C carbie Sun, 22 September 2002 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was planning on putting in an AGE, however not having the $1200-$2000 it would cost to get it all in and installed and whatever. not only that, it's my first car and not sure if i want to spend too much on it????? and also the insurance problems that i might have with it.

i'm not ruling out the AGE option though, it will most probably be a long term thing. i'm just looking for some small mods for the moment

thanx heaps
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 4A-C carbie Sun, 22 September 2002 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for changing the carby Rex is right...theres no point the only way u might gain anything is to put something like a webber 32/36 on there and that would cost HEAPS plus a Inlet manifold would have to fabricated more money better saving for a GZE(supercharged) or a 20valve GE - my insurance company SGIC doesnt have a problem with the 20valve conversion (im 19) as long as it is approved by regency (Thats where we take our cars to have the defect sticker taken off i imagine you guys have a similar place where they inspect vehicle modifications and the like) all i have to do is show them (sgic) an engineering certificate or something.

do a quick search of the forum for 4ac and you'll find heaps of information

heres a few tips tho if your lazy

*2" exhaust cat back if u have one. getting extractors are expensive for this engine ie 200+ well thats what i was quoted anyway and the bang for buck is crap theres only so much u can do with a crap design.

* Get a new air cleaner get rid of the black crap sittin on uyr carby. go for a 9" chrome performance one now the neck of the carby is a wierd size so measure it carefully and make sure the neck on the cleaner is the right size.ie 1mm bigger INSIDE in diameter than the OUTSIDE measurement of the carby throat. I had to bend file and weld my one to the right size....was a pain in butt...not recommended

* Put in a tank of premium 98RON petrol and take it to your mechanics and get them to advance the timing till it starts to ping then back it off a little. If you've got the equip you can do this yaself

These 3 mods are the most effective mods i've found to work on my 4ac. The flat spot around 3000rpm is hardly noticeable now and it revs cleanly to the 6k redline. It doesnt like to clog up and stop accelerating at anything more than 5k like it used to. I have beaten (200m drag) a 1988 pulsar (similar shape to my AE82) and it had the 1.8litre EFI engine with a K&N filter on it. Cleared it by about 4 car lengths I was cheering!! Mind you he had no idea how to launch a FWD no buddy 5000rpm and droping the clutch isnt goin to work to well but hey quoting the biggest RICE queen of them all "It doesnt matter if u win by an inch or a mile...winning is winning"
If you really want to spend money on it like 2 or 300 then have a reground cam put it. Because the tappets are mechanically adjusted or whatever the reginds work fine. That may give u some more power higher in the rev range.

Hope that helps

Cheers

*Gets Deja VU* i think i've just replied to two posts about the exact same thing........*twilight zone type music*.....
bliz
Regular

September 2002

Re: 4A-C carbie Tue, 01 October 2002 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys....jes........this form hasn;t been updated 4 a time...well heres what i have to say...

i to have a crappy old 4a-fc engine 2....lol..buts its not bad..i like tha way it is...n too i have no money $$ what so eva to do ne conversion...so i did a lil modifys..

i replace the the old air filter with a K&N one.(gives u a lil 10-15k extra in each gear

put a full exhuast system 2it,,,,.

and its workin fine fine n fine...great i reakon

have a nice couple of drag..with many cars...
my ae92 did a great job...ET,civics,celica,etc.
but the only shit things is....i cant c the rev...have to feel n ear it....

as for u HUNTY

It doesnt matter if u win by an inch or a mile...winning is winning"
..........mmmmmmmmm

that sound fimilar.....keke...fast........

yeh thats rite...fast and the furious..keke i watch the movie again...lol..........

l8ers guys...

btw..if u guys no more info about 4a-fc or mods..plx tell me about it...fanx alot.......guys~
bliz
Regular

September 2002

icon5.gif  Re: 4A-C carbie Wed, 16 October 2002 04:33 Go to previous message
ne1 for some help? Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:strut brace help?
Next Topic:ra23/ta22 diff ratios
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-