Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » HELP: 4AGZE turbo smokey!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gzesedan
Occasional Poster

March 2003
HELP: 4AGZE turbo smokey! Wed, 21 July 2004 13:34 Go to next message
Hi all,

Hoping I may get some opinions on why my GZE turbo is still smoking after 2 new turbo re-builds & revised, oversized oil drain.

Here are the specs:

ae101 gze (in ae92 corolla sedan) approx 80k km's
nissan rb20 b/b turbo - hi-flowed rebuild
standard ecu + injectors
plus all the extras, BOV, FMIC etc etc.

We have looked at every aspect of the oil supply and drain and can't see what could be a problem. It's using the standard 1mm restrictor on the turbo.

The smoke now only appears when idling, not so much when driving (anymore). The turbo is brand new, and has just been re-built for the second time as they didn't quite get it right the first time.
Has anyone been in similar circumstances? Any advice appreciated.

I am thinking of selling also, expressions of interest welcome.

Cheers

Tim
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: HELP: 4AGZE turbo smokey! Wed, 21 July 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rings or valve stem seals?
sound slike you have already ruled otu the turbo...

what about the crankcase ventilation? does that still go into the intake?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP: 4AGZE turbo smokey! Thu, 22 July 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know you said your oil drain is all good, but is it draining into the sump above the level of oil in the sump? and is the oil drain line vertical (or as close as possible to it) all the way from the turbo to the sump?

What size oil drain hose/pipe are you using?

Also what oldcorollas said is well worth checking if the turbo setup is all good.

I had exactly the same problem and it used to shit me at the lights when it was smoking away and looked like you drove a bomb of a car. I increased the the diamter of the oil drain line I used and changed the fitting on the sump to one that entered as steeply as possible and above the sump oil height. This worked a treat and now it never blows a puff of oil smoke under any circumstances (made me much happier Very Happy )
Ae86-Te
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: HELP: 4AGZE turbo smokey! Thu, 22 July 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello fella's,

I have experienced the same problem with my gze turbo setup, I have rebuilt the turbo 1 month ago, increased oil drain pipe sizes, replaced fittings etc etc ..looked at crankcase ventilation ,oil drain line is vertical as possible and oil is filled just under the full mark in the sump. Confused

still smoking after all that, but is much, much better, now only puffs smoke coming back down from rev's.

2day I looked under the bonnet after driving around and there was a small amount of oil burning from bottom of the turbo..where the ring thing runs around the exhaust housing.. on the bottom bolt ?? any ideas on that?
I'm thinking pressure on the oil seal in the turbo!?

cheers
Brian

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP: 4AGZE turbo smokey! Thu, 22 July 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian, that oil burning at the bottom of the turbo exhaust housing was also a problem I had at the time my oil drain was inadequate and it was blowing oil smoke.

You are correct in that it is the oil getting past the seals and then it is simply leaking out the bottom where the exhaust housing meets the turbo core.

This problem was completely fixed for me when I re-setup my oil drain as I mentioned before.

I am running oil drain line with an ID of 19mm (was previously about 10mm ID). I have the correct oil restrictor in the feed line and my crank case ventilation runs to a catch can and then the gases enter the system again immediately after the airfilter.

Make sure your crank case ventilation is NOT attached to the manifold or anywhere that gets positive pressure as this will mean that when ever the car is on boost (assuming you have a valve in the venting line) the crankcase will build pressure, which will also create pressure in the turbo oil system. Even worse would be the same scenario but with just a hose from the cam cover to the manifold which means your engines crankcase will see boost!! Very bad and I have seen peoples cars set up like this.

All I know is that I had the same problem as both you guys, on the same engine and after some minor alterations to the setup it fixed the problem 100%, my turbo was rebuilt about 3 years ago too so it's probably not as fresh as yours.

I might try and get some pics to show you my setup. There are a few 4AGTE's in Canberra that are setup basically the same as mine and no one has any probs with oil smoking turbo's so it must be ok.
gzesedan
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: HELP: 4AGZE turbo smokey! Fri, 23 July 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yeah the turbo shouldn't be the problem anymore.

The motor was perfect when it was s/charged, can't see why the rings or valve stems would just give in. Plus the motor doesn't have alot of KM's on it.

Crankcase runs back to the inlet via oil catch can. Do you think that may not be breathing properly?

Tim
gzesedan
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: HELP: 4AGZE turbo smokey! Fri, 23 July 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the oil drain re-made with a much larger drain pipe and it is positioned as high as possible on the side of the sump. It looks like it would flow nicely, it could be more vertical but the dump pipe starts to get in the way.

I have a remote oil filter and that holds more oil capacity. I filled the car up with more oil the other night and it started to smoke again. So quite possible the oil level got too high.

Thanks for the advice.
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: HELP: 4AGZE turbo smokey! Fri, 23 July 2004 20:04 Go to previous message
I had the same problem drove me crazy for ages. Get yourself on level ground and then pull your oil drain back off.I think youll probably find that oil will come out when it finds its own level mark your dipstick at that ...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TIMING ON 1G-GTE
Next Topic:Question about turbo seals....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:31:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004518985748291 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.