Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
GT4 cutting out - FIXED Fri, 23 July 2004 06:46 Go to next message
Hi all, I just bought a 1990 gt4 and everything was ok yesterday.
But i was driving home today and whenever i try to put my foot down the engine light comes on and i lose all power..
I lift my foot and engine come back...Turbo doesn't kick in..
I've had a look under bonnet and and the air pipe coming from center of turbo has black tape around it...could that be the problem? if not what else should i look at?
I know NOTHING about these cars yet..never had anything like this before..
Thanks in advance
Chris

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2004 02:00]

Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 23 July 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that would be a problem...I suggest replacing that pipe.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 23 July 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome to boost cut.

Back off your boost.

To get it to stop, pull over, turn the engine off, and then turn it back on. It'll reset the boost cut then.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 23 July 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote on Fri, 23 July 2004 18:48

Welcome to boost cut.

Back off your boost.

To get it to stop, pull over, turn the engine off, and then turn it back on. It'll reset the boost cut then.

Umm...what? Confused Rolling Eyes
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 23 July 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 23 July 2004 18:55

-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote on Fri, 23 July 2004 18:48

Welcome to boost cut.

Back off your boost.

Umm...what? Confused Rolling Eyes

Its either that, or its knocking.

The only time ive ever hit the problem in my car, is when ive over boosted, and i get the exact same problem. I put my foot down, engine cuts out (feels like it) the engine light comes on, and i can't boost at all.

To get around it, only way ive found, is to pull over, turn the engine off, and then turn it back on. All is good again.

Perhaps i didn't word my previous reply right, or im retarded.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 23 July 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe the problem could be air getting into the engine after the air flow meter? Leaning out just a little?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 23 July 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dump the ECU error codes and post them up... they will give you a better idea of what is happening.

To get the error codes put a paperclip between points T1 and TE1 on the ECU check connector then turn the ignition on... count the number of flashes.
There should be a series of flashes then a moderately long pause then another series... alltrac.net has a better description of how to pull the codes and also has a list showing what they mean.
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 23 July 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok i'm getting a new pipe today and i'll see how it goes...
i turned the car off when it was first happening and checked things out in the engine bay, then went to go home and it was still doing it so no joy in just turning off engine..
after i was home for a while i went out again and it didn't do it..so maybe only does it when the engine is hot..?
i don't know if i can change the boost level?
If it keeps doing it after i change the pipe i'll try the ECU thingy..where's the ECU ?
while inspecting the pipe i found a little oil in turbo and pipe..i assume that's normal?
Cheers from a newbie Smile
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 24 July 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It should be just behind the front passenger side strut tower.

The ECU check connector that is.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 24 July 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same problem with my gen II 3sgte, i guessed it was a lack of fuel to the engine since it felt like it had simply ran out of fuel, but it clearly hadn't.
I'm not sure if this fixed it but i haven't had the problem since. I put some Nulon fuel system cleaner into the tank to try to clean out the fuel lines etc so more fuel could get to the engine.
Give it a go. But like i said im not sure if that was what fixed it.
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 24 July 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update:
I changed the pipe today and it does still do it intermittantly..When engine is warm tho i think..i also might need to change the clamp holding pipe onto turbo as it's currently adjusted ALL the way ...
will see how it goes for the next week or so and see what i can find out from the ECU..
Do i leave the paperclip on those connections when i turn the ignition on or do i just short it then remove clip and then turn key?

Cheers Smile
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 24 July 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok i got error code 34
34 - Turbocharging Pressure Signal - Fuel cut-off due to high turbocharging pressure.

Wierd considering the turbo barely cuts in sometimes...
Other times yeah it's at high boost i guess but i'm not going particularly hard....
So there must be a problem...Cos if i can't even drive the car very hard then what's the point of having turbo etc..??
Thoughts?

[Updated on: Sat, 24 July 2004 11:48]

Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 24 July 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really wierd but need to get fixed asap....
Cheers
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 24 July 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the ECU is telling you its a boost cut, you can either turn the boost down and always have a lower but consistent power delivery, or you can try a fuel cut defender.

Something like this might be able to be adapted to a 3S: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=33819&rid=162&S=e5a235e4c2091eeba3c7c779 df3d5118&pl_view=&start=0#msg_297355
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 24 July 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't turn the boost down...as far as i know everything is standard on the GT4 -- no mods...
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 24 July 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should have listened to Lance at the start of this thread Smile

You don't need to have a boost controller fitted to hit boost cut, it can happen from a fault. Most likely a wastegate that is not opening correctly

Take off the intake piping to the AFM and have a good look at the wastegate actuator linkage, make sure its connected properly. If the linkage seems fine, then it may be a fault with the wastegate actuator itself.

To test the actuator while the turbo is still on the car, you need to disconnect the actuator hose at the turbo housing end and apply source of low pressure air to it. If the rod moves at around 10psi, then the actuator and linkage are fine.

If the problem persists, it could be the wastegate valve itself, which means a turbo disassembly.

The other area which could be faulty is the pressure sensor itself.. make friends with another GT4 owner that lives near you and borrow his turbo pressure sensor and try that... probably and easier first test than the wastegate problem, so try it first.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 July 2004 14:27]

Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sun, 25 July 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cool Smile
Got a photo of where to look? Smile
I said i'm a newbie ..
do i have to take off the intercooler to check these things or can i check all this without pulling stuff apart?
Cheers Smile
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: GT4 cutting out Sun, 25 July 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it makes life easier if you do pull off the intercooler, gives you a little bit more room to work.

With respect, if you don't know the section I mean, when I say AFM and intake pipe, then you probably might have trouble solving this problem.. but anyways...

Loosen the clamps from the turbo inlet, and also at the AFM outlet. Disconnect the other hoses, and lift the pipe out.
You can now see the wastegate actuator. It has two hoses coming off it. One to the turbo housing, and the other runs back behind the engine to the Turbo VSV. Take off the one that runs to the turbo housing. This is where you apply the ~10psi of positive pressure. Don't exceed this by much as you can cause damage.

If the rod that runs from the actuator to the turbo exhaust housing moves, then the actuator is fine.

But yeah, check the Turbo Pressure sensor on the firewall first. You can replace/test this very easily without removing a whole heap of stuff. Verify that this sensor is working correctly before starting on the rest of the stuff above. \

Check it like this:

Pull out the plug and turn the ignition to ON (don't start the car).. measure the voltage across the outer two pins.. it should be between 4 and 6 volts. Now connect it back up and start the engine. Measure the voltage across the middle pin and the pin closest to the firewall. If the car is idling normally, it should read around 1.2V LESS than it did before.

If it checks out OK, then try looking at the wastegate as detailed above. If the voltages look strange, then borrow another persons sensor and plug it in and see if its better.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 July 2004 08:00]

Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Mon, 26 July 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update:
Today i took it for a drive but it didn't get upto operating temp properly..but no sign of problem after resetting ECU last night..(fingers crossed)
However i did find a stripped bolt that holds the intercooler on that i will have to fix...looking at car it's on the left front of intercooler (with rubber washers)
Don't know if that would cause any problems...
Cheers
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: GT4 cutting out Mon, 26 July 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
besides the possibility of a rattle, that bolt won't do any harm if its loose/stripped/missing

Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Mon, 26 July 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phew...!!!
I'll prolly replace it anyway.. Smile
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Tue, 27 July 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update: ok well took it for a longer drive today and drove it a bit harder with no sign of problem..
But when i first started off this morning it seemed a little 'stuttery'..
almost like it's missing...but not badly...revs hover around 900 to 1k...
Also i'm 'thinking' about getting a BOV...what difference would this make to the car and is there anything else i would have to do? Would this one suit?
http://www.valhalla.net.au/modules.php?name=Forums &file=viewtopic&t=4979
Cheers

[Updated on: Tue, 27 July 2004 10:25]

Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 30 July 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update again:
Well the problem seems to be gone...i guess air was being sucked in by turbo AFTER the air intake box etc.. so more air was going into engine than the airflow meter was saying so yeah ...problem... any thoughts on the BOV? what difference would it make?

Cheers and thanks for your advice everyone Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 30 July 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well thats an venting BOV, so you'll have the exact opposite problem with your AFM where it is fuelling for air that has been dumped.
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 30 July 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So it's not worth get a BOV for a GT4?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 30 July 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A recirculating one would be fine. Do they not have one from the factory?
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 30 July 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no idea...Smile
this is the first turbo car i've ever owned and the best car i've ever owned...the next one down was an XF fairmont ghia so yeah..not a lot of decent car experience for me...
Cheers Smile
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 30 July 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it can be benificial, but only if you get a plumback model. Or else the fuelling problems make it not worth it.

Only get a atmospheric venting blow off valve if you are running aftermarket injection and can run solely off a MAP sensor.

A BOV like the GFB Stealth is fine for you, but you'll need to weld a T-section onto your intercooler pipe and also into your intake tract.

Its a fair amount of work really, for something with not that much gain.

EDIT: And no, the Gen2 3SGTE in the GT4 does not have a BOV standard.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 July 2004 01:05]

Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 30 July 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool thanks dude...
I think i'll keep everything standard..
Where's a good page to go for standard specs on an australian delivered GT4? anyone going to SA toyota cruise on SAT that wants to take a look?
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 31 July 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DOH!! Went on cruise today and all was well until we left the third stop and the problem presented itself again..So i will have to start looking at other things like sensors etc i guess??
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 31 July 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a boost guage, preferably one with peak hold and go for a drive... when the problem happens check out what the peak boost was.
The standard GT4 will hit fuel cut and spit codes if the pressure is over about 15-16psi (1bar) I think.
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 31 July 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How can i be producing too much boost when everything is stock?
And when i'm not even accelerating hard?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 31 July 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many ways it could happen... pretty much all related to the wastegate.
It could be as simple as the hose that goes from your intake to your wastegate leaking or coming off its nipple.

If it can happen when you are just cruising then it is probably a fault with the map sensor or as toyota like to call it the turbocharger pressure sensor
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 31 July 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok well come over to SA and have a look and fix it for me Wink
I have no idea where to look...also it usually seems to happen when the engine is warmed up...
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 31 July 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll try to take some pics to show you where the map sensor and pressure hoses for the wastegate are, however, the wastegate is pretty much burried under other crap in the engine bay so it may be difficult to show in a pic.
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Mon, 02 August 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok cool thx toobs
How hard is it to replace the map sensor? how much do they cost?
How hard is it to fit a boost gauge? can it be done temporarily? and how much do they cost?
Sorry about this...i really need to spend as little as possible cos the wife is being narky about me spending money...
Thx
Cheers
Chris
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: GT4 cutting out Wed, 04 August 2004 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance was spot on.

If the idle is wandering and it's overboosting check the turbo pressure vsv/ lines for leaks. It's under the inlet manifold on an MR2 3sgte - not sure on a gt4 - toobs maybe can tell you?

The car will usually only overboost when it's hot because when it's cold, this valve is closed (less boost).
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Wed, 04 August 2004 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As someone on here has already stated. Go and get yourself a boost gauge. You can pick up spitfire boost gauge (-30Hg, 20PSI) for around $85 at autopro.

To fit is very easy, find yourself a vacuum source (there is a handy spare vacuum port behind the back of the intake, near the 'O' of the toyota symbol). Plum it in there and feed the line thru the firewall into the cabin. It can be temporary if you want, but it woudl be an idea to install one now.

At idle you should be around the 18-20Hg mark. This is considered normal, any lower, and you have a possible vacuum leak (14Hg). Apart from that, go for a drive and watch the gauge carefully. If you are running stock boost, it should be around 7PSI. Also, if the Turbo VSV (ECU boost controller) is still connected, in the lower gears you will only take around 4-5PSI. This is normal. Now watch the gauge carefully, as your coming onto boost, if you see it spike (you'll know it, when the gauge tries to boost beyond 12psi) then you will hit boost cut, and you know what that is already.

As spectral has said earlier, your going to have to find out where its coming from. If it is overboosting, then it will be a wastegate issue. If it isn't, then it would be a MAP sensor problem.

Getting to the wastegate is easy, all you have to do is remove all the intake plumbing. Once your there, check that the line from the compressor housing to the wastegate is in good condition, if it isn't then replace it. Check to see if the wastegate will open smoothly by hand, if it isn't, then i'd suggest getting that looked at by the pros. Also while your down there, you might as well disconnect the Turbo-VSV line (the line that runs from the wastegate into the engine). But don't do that until you figure out your overboost problem.

http://alltrac.net/mods/vsvmod.jpg
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Thu, 05 August 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks..another update tho...i've now noticed that it doesn't just do it when it's warm...i can get it to happen when not fully warmed up as well...
I might put it into a good workshop and get them to sort it out...
Anyone know a good place in Adelaide?
Cheers Smile
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 13 August 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok what's Hg ????
I'm gonna try and get the boost gauge tomorrow...
anyone got a photo of the wastegate so i know what to look for?
Cheers Smile
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 13 August 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u dont want to spend alot of money why did u buy a gt4

so many people say shit like this that they want there cars fixed but for free

most drive a gtr

if u cant afford it dont buy it

but anyway i guess i hear it to often when working on these cars

im not to sure if its on a gt4 but on mr2 3sgte
they have 2 vacumm lines goin to the wastegate

one is there so it doesnt overboost when temp is cold
as the temp gets to operating degress it opens a valve and lets you get full boost

do u think its temperature related

or does it do it at night
because with cooler and denser air the engine will produce slightly more boost and if its on the limit of boost before it hits boost cut

then when u r in 3rd or 4th when boost is at its greatest
or when it is cold at night
maybe this is when it happens more often

Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 13 August 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not me so much that doesn't want to spend $ on it it's someone else...enough of a hint?
anyhoo...I havn't done a lot of driving at night but it does SEEM to happen more when the car has warmed up but it HAS happened when the car is cooler as well...i'll take a photo of the turbo area and post it for all to see Smile
Beej
Regular

April 2004

Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 14 August 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first off ur driving a ST185.....so unless theres been some modification or a swap, u dont have a MAP (MAnifold Air Pressure) sensor, u have an AFM (Air Flow Meter). one place i do hear good things about is RPM, up in St Marys type area, near edwardstown.....if i ever had a problem i couldnt fix id take it there.

HG is vacum...its like the negative of boost; to put it very simply for you

fiting a boost gauge is easy....find a vacum line, put in your T Piece

theres a few places u could post that are full of ppl who have a myriad of experience with ST185's that may know precisely more......www.celica.net in teh forced induction section, and www.alltrac.net

appart from that, just do what the guys have said, remove all ur piping, look at ur waste gate actuator, fit that boost gauge, and get back to us Wink
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 14 August 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beej, it's got a MAP sensor for boost - factory - no mods.

They all do.

It may have a flapper door type AFM for airflow - but it's also got a MAP for boost.

AFAIK Flapper door type Airflow meters can't measure pressure.

Sledge, if I had to be cheap, my first try would be looking for a perished hose to the wastegate/VSV.

If the hose with the "black tape" you mentioned is between the airbox and the snout of the turbo, its probably split and been taped so as not to leak (which would give an idle problem cause air would suck through there instead of the airflow meter.) Expect too that you need to replace this or oneday the tape etc will leak........

I'd look for a perished waste gate/vsv hose.
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 20 August 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah jase i did replace that hose Smile
http://home.iprimus.com.au/tclock/pic1.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/tclock/pic2.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/tclock/pic3.jpg
Tell what you think or do i need another photo? Smile
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 20 August 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See how the wastegate has two hoses connected to it, one goes to the turbo and one goes back towards the back of the car (pic3) where it has no clamp?

If that hose leaks pressure the wastegate see's less boost pressure (so allows the turbo to boost more). Put a clamp on that so it doesn't leak (check its got one at both ends) at both ends, then check where it connects to the vsv. Maybe the leak isn't where the clamp is missing, but its a good place to start, it's be there somewhere....
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Fri, 20 August 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So is the wastegate that round thingy i've now got circled in pic 3? I've got the feeling that the other hose i've got circled might leak...so that would be my problem?
Cheers
Is that where i fit the boost gauge in PIC1?
NOOB alert Smile
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 21 August 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sledge wrote on Sat, 21 August 2004 09:24

So is the wastegate that round thingy i've now got circled in pic 3? I've got the feeling that the other hose i've got circled might leak...so that would be my problem?
Cheers
Is that where i fit the boost gauge in PIC1?
NOOB alert Smile

pic3, theres ya boostspike problem.

Whats happening, with that hole there, its causing a bleed affect. Which in turn allows more boost then normal. And bam... boost cut.

Easiest fix, and recommended for when you use an after market boost controller down the track. That line in pic 3. Cut it, and block both ends. And u'll be sweet.

That line is the T-VSV line, leads to a vaccum controller which controls the turbo boost pressure. By cutting this line you allow the wastegate to control boost. It'll hold around 7-9psi from now on.

the old 'screw in the end' works well, along with zip ties to seal up those lines. Else, you can get vaccum line blockoff's from supercheap or places like that.

I'd show you a picture of how mine was done, but ive just put everything back togeteher Razz
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Sat, 21 August 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So pull it apart like i have to Smile
It doesn't take long..
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Wed, 25 August 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok boost gauge says i'm boosting upto about 12psi
so yeah
i'll replace that broken hose tomorrow and i'll see what difference that makes Smile
Cheers
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: GT4 cutting out Thu, 26 August 2004 01:40 Go to previous message
ok i replaced BOTH hoses but have a look at the turbo to wastegate hose...you think it could have been the problem? Wink
http://home.iprimus.com.au/tclock/hose.jpg
The boost was 12PSI but now that i've replaced those hoses it sticks at 5-7 PSI and 20hg so yeah...
Thank you very much to everyone who helped me track down the problem i hope i continue to learn more about these cars...

Well....ON TO THE NEXT PROBLEM Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2004 01:50]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What can I plug this with?
Next Topic:gtst vs gtr caliper mounting holes?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 10:42:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085818767547607 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.