Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sat, 24 July 2004 17:18 Go to next message

Living Preference[ 31 vote(s) ]
1.House in the suburbs 23 / 74%
2.Apartment close to town 8 / 26%

Hello..

Just wondering if i can get some input as to your preferences.
I am considering moving out and was wondering which would you find more appealing. A house 20 - 25 mins away from the city (in this case city = perth) or a unit / apartment 5 mins from.

From what i can gather so far, i cant work on my car (or pretend to work on my car) in a unit as the space limitations dont help. But being close to lotsa different food, drink.. etc is appealing. I dont think i can even do an oil change in an apartment ? - But i can always do it at a friends house.

The rental costs are about the same.

Would appreciate your input ..

Thanks

James

Send a private message to this user    
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sat, 24 July 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have friends that rent a house and they loved it, well all apart from having to pay for it that is. I would rather the house with a big area for cars/entertainment, cars can be entertainment.
andrij
Regular

December 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sat, 24 July 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A House wins, hands down.

If the house has a garage, place to work on car and store it. Because it has a yard, you can park more than one car (spare parts) there.

Just my 2 cents.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sun, 25 July 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go the house...the suburbs is so *not* far from good food etc...try living 40ks from the city.
maiku
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sun, 25 July 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the house, more room for cars,parts etc...
u can also have some sik parties,wheres in an apartament/unit ud be lucky to fit 3 people
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sun, 25 July 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks doods.

House it is! I would love to "try" and do some more work on the car, so i guess that really leaves no alternative. When i dismantle something and cant put it back together again.. i'd probably wish "apartment".

Being able to walk home after a big night out is still minor plus...

James
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sun, 25 July 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It depends if ur gunna live with other ppl .
I would go the house if i had ppl with me cuz u got lawns 2 mow etc. And having a yard it a bonus BUT if u rent in ur agreement there maybe a rule (well there was with mine) saying u can't do more than an oil change on the property and all cars parked there must be registered. And have u ever been 2 an apartment party ? the music can't b too loud and there is no room 2 move.
But with a house u can go outside have a game of cricket or kick the footy.
And if u live with other ppl u guys can share a taxi from clubs pubs whatever .
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sun, 25 July 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the moment I'm renting a unit with a mate, $600 a month each would you believe, we've only been here for less than 6months, it's a great location and all but it's wayyyyy to expensive so we're gonna end our lease and find another place with a garage, that's the most important thing i reckon, "GARAGE!!! what u talkin 'bout GARAGE!!!", except we do all our maintenance on the street at the moment, it looks soo ghetto. Rolling
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sun, 25 July 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hope i dont get an agreement that too water tight...

$600 / month each.... *gulp*

Seeing as i like the idea of having the car parked in a private lock up deal, i'm going the house. I am thankfull that its alot cheaper to rent in perth. Its dooable to get a place 15 min from town.. shared with mate... $90 /wk.

dazza
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sun, 25 July 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sated wrote on Sun, 25 July 2004 19:29

Hope i dont get an agreement that too water tight...

$600 / month each.... *gulp*

Seeing as i like the idea of having the car parked in a private lock up deal, i'm going the house. I am thankfull that its alot cheaper to rent in perth. Its dooable to get a place 15 min from town.. shared with mate... $90 /wk.

$90 a week il swap you in a heart beat ($690 a week but the bank manager says one day i will own it Laughing )
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sun, 25 July 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, you live in Perth. No where in the suburbs really are you too far away from the city or anything Laughing Where you live now?
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sun, 25 July 2004 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dood..

I'm currently sharing a unit in east perth. Shared with 2 other people. I agree, perth aint that big a place but i was considering moving to northbridge coz of the food.. and its proximity to perth. Its kinda convienient being able to get food right outside ya doorstep without having to walk more than 5 min.

I know i shouldnt be such a tight arse about getting a place Confused and paying for some petrol.

But no garage.. and thats a very big inconvienience.

James
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Sun, 25 July 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh, I'm in Heathridge, so I'm like 20 mins out of the city. If I hop in my car, I'm like 5 mins from 3 sets of cinemas, 2 major shopping centers and a heap of food...
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Mon, 26 July 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Living in a house in the 'burbs has it advantanges - lots of room, a garage for working on the car (if you're lucky) and a more room inside as well. But there are disadvantages - doing the gardening, houses are harder to keep clean, having parties sucks because you have to clean up afterwards, heating/cooling costs are generally more and there's more to take care of.

If you're studying and are time-poor, than an apartment (in Aussieland we still call 'em flats Very Happy ) is ideal.

If you have the time to do the gardening, and want space (and have time) to work on the car then rent in 'burbs.

I tried both - large share house (lots of parties, complaints by the nieghbors and shitloads of mowing) and 2 bedroom flat (way easier to clean, keep clean and less to worry about) and I'd say go for the flat. You can do all that "house in burb's" stuff when you buy your own house, rather than having to continually maintain someone else's investment.
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Tue, 27 July 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all comes down to one issue,

"Am I trendy or not?" Smile

While the costs are the same, renting an apartment makes you look loaded, stylish, independent and yes...."trendy". Cool

A house on the other hand says to the fellow scotch figure biscuit eater; ARGH

"Hey I have to live in this house because I'm a bogan and need space for the kids and their swing set and see-saw" Freak

Look at the American sitcoms, the most successful being sent in apartments. Rolling Eyes

Put like that, the argurment for an apartment is quite convincing don't you think? Nod
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Tue, 27 July 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 11:30

Living in a house in the 'burbs has it advantanges - lots of room, a garage for working on the car (if you're lucky) and a more room inside as well. But there are disadvantages - doing the gardening, houses are harder to keep clean, having parties sucks because you have to clean up afterwards, heating/cooling costs are generally more and there's more to take care of.

If you're studying and are time-poor, than an apartment (in Aussieland we still call 'em flats Very Happy ) is ideal.

If you have the time to do the gardening, and want space (and have time) to work on the car then rent in 'burbs.

I tried both - large share house (lots of parties, complaints by the nieghbors and shitloads of mowing) and 2 bedroom flat (way easier to clean, keep clean and less to worry about) and I'd say go for the flat. You can do all that "house in burb's" stuff when you buy your own house, rather than having to continually maintain someone else's investment.

I believe the term Flat is used by the English. The Orrrrrstraaaaaliannnns call 'em units Razz
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Tue, 27 July 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man, I do all my maintenance in my garage at my flat. You just gotta be VERY careful not to mess it up! Depends on what your lifestyle is. I live 10 mins from work (Sydney CBD), and can see my building from my balcony! That's prolly the main reason why I live where I do - Proximity to work.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Tue, 27 July 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im considering a factory, i have done construction in the past so doing up the inside is no drama, and driving the supra into the main room would be cool!

Allan
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Tue, 27 July 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that would b awesome a tad cold but awesome.
U could have huge parties .
I no sum1 who is making a shed in2 a house
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Tue, 27 July 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've always wanted a warehouse - to build a mezzanine living area and big space underneath to house a car collection. Mmmmm painted white floors Cool . It's every man's dream to live in a giant shed! Very Happy

Trouble is all the cool warehouses have been sold and cut up into dozens of tiny units - you've still got a big window and some mezzanine but it's not the same. I call it "warehouse lite".
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Tue, 27 July 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Billy-Mason PI wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 13:32

I believe the term Flat is used by the English. The Orrrrrstraaaaaliannnns call 'em units Razz

Only toffee nosed eastern states call 'em units, coz you'd have to be a unit to pay so much to buy a shoebox!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Tue, 27 July 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a contact for cheap fire wood so HUGE open fire... then all i need is a bar..... and naked chicks toasting mashmellows... and a hoist for the car....
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Where you'd rent. - your input is appreciated. Tue, 27 July 2004 09:14 Go to previous message
You've got the right idea Allan, a fireplace would be great = $5000 a hoist would be ace = $2500, naked girls on a hoist toasting marshmallows = priceless
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone here from university of newcastle?
Next Topic:cheapest dialup internet?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:29:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069420337677002 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.