Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon6.gif  2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Sun, 26 May 2002 09:30 Go to next message
I understand from prevoius threads that a toyota tercel 2 bolt master cylinder will bolt onto the TA22 booster. Does anyone know the exact bore or the tercel cylinder? Will this cylinder provide sufficient pressure for 4 spot hilux calipers? Also I am going to fit new brand new clutch and master cylinders, is it a good ideas to replace the booster or do they not fail?
  Send a private message to this user    
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Sun, 26 May 2002 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THe booster should be fine, if not get one from the wrecker. Most 2 bolt master cylinders would fit, off any older toyota, onto any 2 bolt booster. The newer FWD cars are different. Just go to the wreckers and look at all Toyotas and note the size written. Common sizes:

3/4"
13/16"
7/8"
15/16"
1"

For 4 spot calipers you probably want 1". I'm not sure if there is a 2 bolt 1". I am using 2 bolt 13/16" with tarago brakes, works fine. The tarago actualy had a 15/16" 4 bolt.
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Sun, 26 May 2002 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a tercel master cylinder will fit, however it's only a 13/16 bore size. i have recently done the hilux conversion and to match, i had my TA22 master cylinder rebored and sleeved out to 15/16. pedal now feels good!!! so for $200 it's almost better than a different master cylinder as all the brake lines are there and require no modification.
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Mon, 27 May 2002 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone know where i can get my master cylinder modified in Newcastle?
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Tue, 28 May 2002 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't know about NSW, but here in melbourne i had it done by ABS (Auto Brake Service) i'm not sure if they exist outside Victoria... if not then any large brake servicing chain would have the adequate contacts to point you in the right direction....t
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon3.gif  Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Wed, 29 May 2002 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Hey Dorikin, Do you know what the pistion used in your master cylinder is out of?

[Updated on: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:45]

dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Wed, 29 May 2002 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no i don't, and i probably couldn't find out either. the reasont he went to 15/16" and not 1" was because they could only match up a piston in 15/16" size. to go to 1" a custom piston would need to be fabricated... but for $203, it's a good price, as i'm sure you'll be strugling to find a new master cylinder for a lot cheaper. so not only is the size now up to the task of the brakes, i didn't ahve the hastle of having to modify the brake lines...
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Wed, 29 May 2002 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dorikin,

Mate not a bad idea that ! Burt Bros Brakes can prolly do that in NSW they do Stainless steal sleeving for old classics.

I Might see if they can do the tercel unit. I prefer the Tercel one because it is not a Remote reservoir type and also at the base it has a divider so it like running a Twin pot system Its just safer if A brake line blows.

I already have 4 spots on mine and it works great as is. Still bigger is always a good thing ! Smile
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Wed, 29 May 2002 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod... did the brake lines require much modification to fit to the tercel master cylinder??? i wanted to go to a top mount reservoir but i was not sure ho it would fit (stock 4AGE intake manifold is very close already) and also, what brakes are you running?

another thing... before i went to the 15/16" master, i drove the car for a few weeks with the stock 13/16" master... i noticed that although the pedal was very long and spongy (gotta move six more pistons) it had awesome power!!! good old mechanical 'leverage' of small master - large slave... anyway, when i got the larger master i lost some of the "power" but gained better feel... much more confident braking now...

another thing... i'm sure this is old news, but when did i miss the removal of a 4AGE and the replacement of a boat anchor into your car??? what do you now run??? please don't tell me you went back in time to a 2TG...

[Updated on: Thu, 30 May 2002 04:23]

tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Thu, 30 May 2002 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what size is tercel unit 13/16?
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Thu, 30 May 2002 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some sources, and even some people here claim that the tercel master is 15/16", but after my own research i was unable to find one larger than 13/16". it was my main alternative to the TA22 master, but what's the point if it isn't any larger. i also thought of purchasing a tercel master (wanted top mounted reservour) and then have it modified, but how could i justify almost $400, when the modded TA22 one is $200 and fits perfectly, no mods to brake lines.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 May 2002 04:25]

dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Mon, 03 June 2002 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for those still interested, also look at the post "JAP Brake for AE86" i've posted there also about this topic...
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Tue, 04 June 2002 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for delay in replies guys.

I'll try catch all the loose questions.

The Tercel Master is only 13/16 not 15/16 in size.

New the Tercel units are bloody expensive. I have grabbed a couple now from the wreckers at $30 each. Smile

Pedal feel is still much better than the stock TA22 unit. Smile

Brake lines are easy enough to move both Jamie and Yogi had made the same swap. I'm stil to look into getting the tercel unit bored but I love the idea. !

Brakes that are on it at the moment are 11" solids with 4 pot Hilux calipers (2WD hilux) I have ready to go on a set of slotted 11" vented rotors and a set of 4WD 4 spot Hilux calipers awaiting to be rebuilt. I'm going to swap them in when I swap the coil overs to 60mm coil overs Smile

The old 4AGE spun a bearing on the Expressway late last year. The fact I was racing a WRX and was just past 8000 RPM had nothing to do with it Wink (And yes.. I won Smile )

In all seriousness the engine was running to thin an oil I didn't realise the tolerances on the 4AGE were similar to that on a 2TG and was running Mobil 1. My mistake Sad

Yes a boat anchor is going back in. I prefer them as they suit the period of the car. Mind you its not any old boat anchor Wink Its still in construction but I'll post complete specs once its finalized and unveiled. I costed out a rather wild 4AGE and 7AGE build and for the money I went with the Boat anchor option.

Hope that covers it Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 04 June 2002 10:13]

dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Tue, 04 June 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod, i cannot imagine how the pedal felt any better with a tercel master cylinder in place of the TA22 one. with both having the same bore size, in theory there shouldn't have been any difference... anyway, if you say so, i have no reason to question you... as for the rebore, go for it!!! my pedal now feels as good if not better than with the Stock TA22 brake setup...
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Tue, 04 June 2002 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod... did i read correctly??? do you have coil overs on the front end of your car? if so tell me EVERYTHING about them as this is something i am considering as i'm just not happy with any spring i've had in the car so far...
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Tue, 04 June 2002 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dorikon,

Mate my coilovers feel great but I need a smaller spring for clearance issues with the front tyres.

The struts are just XT130 Struts and the standard Spring platform has been welded to a threaded base. The threaded section of the strut is just like any other Coil over. The ride is great as the springs were custom wound to the weight of the old engine. Not sure how they will go with the boat anchor in place ?

My Suspension was done by Fulcrum in QLD. I couldn't recommend them any higher based on the ride. I didn't deal with them myself tho so can't comment on there service.

As for pedal feel it has me buggered too !!
Jamie Heritage (with the V8 TA22) swapped his "New" T-18 master for a Tercel unit I had spare and was also happier with the pedal feel. I honestly don't know why tho ! Not Sure how Yogi finds it I know he had some hassels with bleeding his system but forgot to see how it finished up ?

Jamie is a Victorian too so if you see a red celica type blur and he stops somewhere ask him what he thinks. He has a Wild front brake set up tho. Makes mine sound like a stock set up !!

GTR skyline Calipers and 300mm rotors from memory but I could be wrong on that. They definatly dwarf mine tho. Stops great !! Smile

dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Tue, 04 June 2002 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it sounds like that master cylinder thing has got us both buggered... either way, there is no doubt at all that a bigger master cylinder is going to make a workd of difference... BTW how does the tercel master cylinder fit in Yogi's engine bay with clearance tot he 4AGE TVIS manifold??? i would imagine it is a close fit...

as for your coil overs... they aren't really coil overs are they now??? i was thinking more along the lined of a true coil over lik all those fancy shmancy setups on them drift cars in japan... anyway, it is an option, but i guess i'll just go for the custom spring to match the XT130 strut to my old TA22 (know of anyone in melbourne)... are your XT130 struts shortened... cos mine are not, and i realise that i lose about an inch of suspension travel, but i have never seemed to been able to bottom it out... makes me think it's not worth the hassle of having them shortened... i can always cut the bump stops in half (not)...
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Tue, 04 June 2002 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dorikon,

Being completely height adjustable I'm not sure if the struts were shortened or not. If I had to guess tho I'd say they are. The car sits on 100mm road clearance exactly and still has plenty on suspension travel.

As for the coil overs... A coilover is actually any suspension arangement where the coil is fitted over the shock absorber ! Its just most peopl associate the term with the smaller 60mm springs. Smile
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Tue, 04 June 2002 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod, will you be selling your current coil over setup then?? My car is too low now for normal suspension arrangement (springs drop out of struts when jacked up) My brakes should bolt onto your struts so it will work out well. Give me a yell when you want to get rid of them (if you do!) Thanks Jamie.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Wed, 05 June 2002 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate,

Odds are I will sell them once I get to replacing them. If I do consider first offer yours Smile

Only part I will be needing is the Koni Adjustables. Smile

Its a while away tho mate I gotta get the engine finished first Sad
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Wed, 05 June 2002 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rang the local ABS (Auto Brake Service) shop in Newcastle which is in Maitland and was told that you cannot buy new pistons just the rebuild kits (i think they are full of it). Hey Dorikin do you have a phone number for the ABS store where you had yours done? I may end up sending mine to them if I cannot find someone locally.
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Wed, 05 June 2002 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my master cyliner was sent to ABS in Airport West (this is closest to my work where we source most of our brake parts) the number is (03)9330 1188 Speak to Colin... if there is still any problems refer to John from Pitstop Oil Change on Pascoe Vale Rd and say that you want similar mods as what were done to the TA22 master cylinder about 3 weeks ago...)

this ABS centre is only an outlet, and the custom works was done elsewhere, but was all organised by ABS... i'm not sure who exactly was responsible for the actual work, but i had no problems with getting exactly what i wanted through them...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Wed, 05 June 2002 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess I got me the same problem with the brakes. I'm using UZS130(1uz crown) rotors and mazda 4 spots on the front (cheap conversion at under 300 bucks including everything), r31 rears (was on the diff) on my ae86 and have got a pedal that feels like last nights mashed spuds... Sure the mechanical advantage is there, but it seems to make it hard to control when the wheels just bloody lock. Oh yeah, and the freebie brake pads i got on the front really suck too, plus they make a big black mess all over the wheels every day, gonna get some greenstuff soon. So I guess the easiest way would be to get the master cylinder bored?
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Wed, 05 June 2002 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin....
yeah a rebore is prolly the best option i can suggest... for the money it will provide the best, and neatest alternative to what you have now...

by the way, i know what you mean about controlling the wheel lock ups... no less that 5 days after i fitted the new brakes to my car i attended an advanced driving course... wasn't i the fool with the "hi performance" brake package who couldn't control his car under brakes!!!

it also didn't help that i have a fucked front right shock. the instructor insisted that the left front is the first to lock up under normal circumstances due to "longer left springs cos they run in the gutter off camber, etc" and that i infact had a fucked right shocker meaning that the front right locks first... not that the guy didn't know his shit... he just didn't know my car...

took one week past this to have the new bigger 15/16" amster cylinder fitted...

anyway, now with the better brake feel i'm, able to decide when the fronts lock a lot better and with far more control. this results in better and more confident braking...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 2 bolt master cylinder + 4 spots Wed, 05 June 2002 12:05 Go to previous message
mrshin, You got any other information on your brake setup? What calipers are you using?
Send me an email if you like! ipirate@iprimus.com.au
Thanks mate.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Does ULP - 5M-E Mix?
Next Topic:Throttle bodys (again)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:12:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058639049530029 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.