Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
icon4.gif  Att: 1ggte Timing issue Sun, 25 July 2004 15:32 Go to next message
Ok I got one for all u 1G-GTE people and timing experts..

Today I decided to re-do my timing...
The timing that was dialled it when I checked it was at 20 Degrees advance and car went really well, not lagging and very responsive but the initial idle was high about 1000rpm in Drive. I decided to do the timing to manufactures specs so I set it at 10 Degrees bridging the Te1 and E1 pins in the diagnostic plug. After I did this the idle was great (650rpm) but when I drove the car it was extremely lagy from the start, slow to accelerate, and when it changing gears (automatic) it dropped the revs by 1000rpm with every shift. Very unnatural and sluggish shifts. Also the boost went up slightly (10.5 psi instead of 9.5 psi), meaning the turbos were working harder to give me less (my opinion). You could feel that the car didn’t like those timing settings.
I did the timing with a Timing light and listening to hear where the engine sounded like it was receiving the timing well to set it back around 20 degrees.
When I returned the timing to 20 degrees advance in normal mode (Not bridging the Te1& E1) it went well again but revs are too high on idle and I know that this is too much advance for the engine.
The engine is still standard apart from exhaust and pod filter.
My only opinion is that the distributor has not been placed properly (was removed once a long time ago) and was set one turn off.
Could it be anything else causing this? Has anyone had these problems. I mean the car runs well when it’s advanced but the idle is a pig and well 20 degrees timing seems much too much to me. Boost is standard as well. (9 psi)

I want to sort this out cause its getting boosted soon and I am afraid this much advance will kill the engine on higher boost. I want everything in perfect running order before I go straining the engine and making more power out of it.

Send a private message to this user    
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Sun, 25 July 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah well my friend now u know what my car runs like lolllllllllllllll
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Mon, 26 July 2004 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone for some help , im doing timing soon as well
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Mon, 26 July 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well I could only run 10deg advance on my car when I had it running 15-16psi as it pings on any more. but then again my fuel ratios are no longer below 10:1... I could run 15deg when I had the fuelling supplying 10:1 ratios
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Bugman how high was your idle on 15 degrees advance (was that with Te1 &E1 shorted?)?
I know the car runs rich as is..but i can't figure out why it likes to be advanced so much.. I mean ithe car goes really really well when its advanced about 20 deg but that idle of 1000 rpm in drive shits me...And on the new "Factory" setting it runs now make it go like a bag of shit. Like i said unless the dizzy has not been placed propely and missed a turn otherwise i need all the help anyone can advise.

HEELP .lol
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Luke I got the injectors today, Going to pick them up from the post office after Uni. Thanks
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to hear boyan , hope u sort the timing issue man , then i can come ova u place and get my timig set right lollllllllll

cheers
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When u say '10 degrees advanced' what is that actually set at? Does it mean 10 degrees advanced from the factory setting of 10deg BTDC or 10 degrees after TDC? Just keen to sort this out in my head.

I also have drama's with my 1GGTE and the way which is runs. Havent looked into it that much, but it did run better set at factory 10 deg BTDC but the lag is worse, seems to rev more easily tho. But i still hit some kind of (fuel?) cut when i have foot more than half down and revin it hard. Still runs standard boost and the gauge see's no boost spikes so i dont know what else i should look at. Fuel pressure seems good too.

Any ideas?
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i set mine to 10degrees earthing the ecu (te1+e1)

should be at 15-16 degrees unearthed
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
icon14.gif  Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okies people I sorted it out. I removed the dizzy fucked around all day and basically come to this conclusion.
The fucking thing just doesn't like 10 degrees earthed (TE1 and E1) Still didn't like it.
Lagged and didn't rev.
Set it at 20 degrees advanced. Result: much better but idle too high.
Solution: 15 degrees after Top dead centre runs like a dream, better then 20 degrees, shifts like a dream, no lag very responsive. The idle is 800 rpm in natural and 650-700 in drive. Close enough to stock. I can't seem to find a better solution.
I checked and the dizzy is lined up properly now.
Still don't know why it doesn’t like the factory 10 degrees. All the setting were done shorting the Te1 and E1 pin.

By the way there is a screw on the AFM what is it for? Anyone know? Its covered by a black plastic cap?? Is it for mixture?
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you check that when you earthed it it changed the timing?

sometimes the connection is bad and doesnt earth

you just use a paperclip?
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your going to play with the AFmix put it on a dyno
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the screw on the AFM...is for the C0 mixture....

I too have had problems with Timing..SO i'd have to short Te1 and E1..and then remove the leads ? Is this the correct way ?
ONLY ADJUST TIMING WITH LEAD SHORTED ?

cheers
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
short terminals, set timing, disconnect

what siktoy said about AFM tuneing too
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or put an aftermarket computer in it its much more fun Very Happy
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Tue, 27 July 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil Jack you can tell when u earth the timing. First the revs drop, Seccond on the dash the engine light flashes and the odrive light flashed. So you know it is earthed. I just pu the Apexi Sadc when i want to lower the mixtures..and then dyno it..
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Att: 1ggte Timing issue Thu, 30 December 2004 09:12 Go to previous message

[Updated on: Thu, 30 December 2004 10:32]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Weber Carby Kit for my 6AFC.
Next Topic:AE86 + DBA (brakes)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 18:53:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055608749389648 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.