Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 05 July 2004 11:11 Go to next message
Has anybody used a turbo from an old exa turbo or anything similar on a 4AGE? Or have an idea how they would perform

I know everybody seems to say the T25. I only want really low boost though- around 5psi.

Will these spool up nice and quickly? Anybody know any good small turbos, and what they came from.

Also have people left the TVIS connected when doing a turbo conversion. In one of the articles in here it advises to remove it. Wasn't the early GZE TVIS also (might be wrong)

Thanks
Ben

PS I did search but was looking for opinions on a few more alternatives

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2004 11:13]

Send a private message to this user    
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 05 July 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stick to the t25s I'm guessing. Do these boost below 300rpm?

Can get them off an RB20, CA18 I guess..any others
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 05 July 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
300rpm? Razz
3000 I'm guessing you mean - and yes, a t25 should boost below that. A gt25 even better... pricier tho
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 05 July 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remove the TVIS when using a turbo. no question about it.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 05 July 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's going to be hard to find the right one according to this article...somebody gave me this address.

http://members.iinet.net/~sayers/biscuits/turbos.h tm

Yes I did mean 3000rpm sorry... I wonder if diesel turbos even boost from 300 Rolling Eyes

And the TVIS removal a must!? Surprised
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 05 July 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why remove it? It seems to work fine on a 1GGTE. Toyota left it there for a reason did they not?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 05 July 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another website

http://importnut.net/turbosizing.htm
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 05 July 2004 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're not after a lot of boost and you want boost down low, wouldn't a ZE be the logical answer?
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 05 July 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have used td04l off a wrx on a 86kw 4age and it boost response is awesome, no lag, awesome torque etc,

Dale
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought rexy's don't boost till 3000rpm. Does it work better on the 4age than in stock trim?

Cheers

PS The supercharger reuires switching from the ECU. I'm planning to use stock ECU. I suppose the supercharger setup should be considered. Could wire up a switch for it, but then it's either always on or off.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they dont boost till 3000 on a wrx, there header design is the problem they are 6 foot long before they reach the turbo, there is no heat left in the gas,

on a 4efe they have 12psi on board by 3000rpm, on a 4age they have 11psi on before 2700rpm,
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Far out - that sounds awesome!

Is there any chance of picking these up for around $200-$300.
Are they better suited than a T25 for the 4AGE you think?
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Around $200 sounds right...
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i picked up the one on my misses starlet for $150 shipped to sydney, a good low KM (<20000km) will cost about $200,

yes they are better suited than the t25, the stock as a rock 86kw with this turbo on it makes 187rwhp on 11psi boost and has NO lag at all,

Dale
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds good Dale. Thanks for the info. Just out of interest..did you have the starlet engineered. WIll I have to get my ae82 twin cam engineered if i stick the blower on? I know you're allowed 10-15% more power before engineering, could I just say it's only 3psi or something? Don't want it to be dodgy though. (What is usual cost - about $300)

I like the idea of no lag..is a TD04 the same as TD04l..or are they different .

Thanks
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah it isnt engineered, it probably should be,
its a chicks car tho, she drives it everywere and dosent thrash it too much,

the td04l is the turbo you want,

here is a pic of the starlet engine bay,

http://www.braidedlines.com/pics/starlet/star8.jpg

Dale
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's tidy!! You're gf is very lucky.

I might ask you few qns later if that's ok...about coolant lines, oil lines etc.

What would that starlet do the 1/4 in - sub 15s?

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh no worries i have all the sizes and stuff here,

it makes 130hp at the wheels on a tame tune, the NA cams really suck and it chokes above 5000rpm im going to put a turbo bottom end and head in it i know it will make 200hp at the wheels then,

im guessing it would run a mid 14 if the gear box held together,
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know it's a pretty cramped engine bay, but doesn't having the pipe between turbo and IC running al the way across the exhaust manifold seem a bit... odd? with no heat barrier either?
it kinda looks like it been designed to heat the intake piping Wink
Cya, Stewart
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its that cramped there is no where else to run it unless we fit a front mount to it and i dont want to do that as the water to air works too well, the air temps are quite often lower than ambient and the speed that the air travels through there is fast enough not to effect it too much

Dale
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a TD04 off an MY00 on a subaru forum - Is this the same?

Do you know what year models your turbo was on the Rexies - is the TD04 different to a TD04l you think?

Thanks
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the TD04L,

they came on my98-current wrx, as long as it is not a sti they are all the same turbo

Dale
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 06 July 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anybody know a good place to look for a s/hand rexy turbo around that price $200- I think the one I saw was sold..
I've found a couple of forums but not many..
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Wed, 07 July 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good place to get the WRX turbos?
Thanks
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Wed, 07 July 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try the MRT rally forums and the Liberty club forums, thats where i got mine off, there is also one of Performance forums as well

Dale
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Wed, 07 July 2004 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try E-bay man or the trading post!
i got one, <30000km's for $150 and a turbo off a 1.8 TX3 4WD for $90 both in perfect condition!
hunt and you will find.
im going to try the Tx3 first, i heard and have seen them running 15psi til nearly redline and it should spool up before the wrx turbo.

my GC8 WRX has the smallest turbo of the gc8 range, every year they come out with smaler, more responsive turbo's. thats why a high flowed MY94 turbo is an excelent upgrade (FLYSTI runs this on his brumby ute!which runs like 11's i think)
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Wed, 07 July 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's interesting. I read that about rexies changing their turbos slightly..

Thanks - I'll try ebay.

Does anybody know the physical size of these turbos - I've got minimal room b/w the radiator and block (AE82 corolla FWD)..I see Dale got his in a starlet ok, so shouold be good.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Wed, 07 July 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the turbos from the 98-03 wrx are all identical, only the pre 98 and sti are different turbos,

you will fit it in there no problems at all, you may have to rotate the housings and weld some tabs on for the wastegate actuator but thats about it, they are not a huge turbo

dale

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Fri, 09 July 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey 10sec -That starlet you moded did that have an AFM or was it MAP sensored?

[Updated on: Fri, 09 July 2004 05:57]

joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Fri, 09 July 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just wondering how the rex or the tx3 turbo would perform on a 20V silv, or is that another kettle of fish?
thanx.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 10 July 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
highrolla

all starlets are MAP sensored,

Joe,
the td04 off a wrx would work perfect on a 20v

Dale
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 10 July 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about a wrx turbo on a 1g? when would you expect boost and what are they good for it terms of power and psi? and what flange are they?

[Updated on: Sat, 10 July 2004 14:35]

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sun, 11 July 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
too small for a 1g, i would be looking at something like a High flowed s14 t28 or a s15 t28 as a minimium,

the wrx turbos are good for 20+psi on a smaller 4cyl

Dale
AE82-GZE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 12 July 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey 10sec_rx7 / Dale

What way do you mount the turbo in the bay...

With the inlet (AIR POD SIDE) of the turbo on the
passinger side or the drivers side of the car ????

Also do you have any pics of a fwd engine bay (AE-82)
that you've done a 4agte conversion to ????

Thanks again for your help
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Mon, 12 July 2004 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill dig up some pics of daves setup,

the compressor goes to the drivers side,

Dale
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Tue, 13 July 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope steve doesn't mind me using his pic..but looks like he had compressor on passenger side

http://www.turbocorolla.com/tech/4agte_part2/4AGTE_actuatortightfit.jpg Confused
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Fri, 23 July 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Dale, Do you think if you get a chance you could get a close up shot of the mounting of the turbo in your starlet.
I now have a td04 here. It looks like some big circlip holding on the intake housing.

I'll have to search, but I'm not really sure about what I need to do to rotate the housing and which side is inlet and outlet for oil and water, I assume it's important to make sure oil inlet is on top, so you use this as your reference? and rotate housings as necessary?

Thanks

PS Was you comp really on drivers side..not like the pic i showed below.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 24 July 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mate

ill get some pics for you over the weekend,

yes the comp was really on the drivers side!!

you have to pull out the circlip and rotate the housing , the exhuast housing has the vband clamp on it, just do the same with that,

there is a locating pin on the housings that needs to be removed for this to work.

Dale
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 24 July 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about using the TX3 4WD (1.8lt) turbo on the 4age? these are supposedly ment to handle 15psi on the ford motor, but i'll only want to run about 10 anyway.

these should spool up alot quicker, and hold to redline yes? (mind you 2700rpm at 11psi sounds pretty nice!)
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 24 July 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a heap Dale!

Is there a way to put the comp wheel side on the passenger side..I think that would suit a lot better...

I'll have to start having a decent look at it.
Mullett
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 24 July 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok...I have an 89 supercharged MR2...how expensive would it be to go turbo, and what are the pros and cons?
AE82-GZE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 24 July 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Highrolla,,

I think it looks better if the comp wheel is on the drivers
side of the car.. The plumbing looks better I mean...

Also I think having the turbos compressor outlet on the
drivers side and the throttle body's inlet on the passenger side
makes it easier to plumb in a front mount intercooler . I think
it's the sortest route for pipe work too and as said above look
better...

Just my 2c's
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 24 July 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So it's more personal preference than anything else? I don't think I will be running a front mount. Was planning to use the standard airbox/filter and turn back into the comp side of the turbo. Also the dump pipe can go into standard exhaust with less bends/hassle if exhaust is on drivers side, intake on passenger side

I haven't decided yet - just trying to get ideas from the more experienced

Sorry for all the dumb quests - just new to all this.

Can someone check the inlet/outlets on these..to see if I have them correctly labelled. I haven't seen a rexy exhaust manifold so I'm flying blind.

Pics are of the td04 I just got

http://img16.exs.cx/img16/7392/turbs.jpg

http://img16.exs.cx/img16/8267/turbs2.jpg

PS These are cute turbos, they're pretty small...

[Updated on: Sat, 24 July 2004 14:09]

AE82-GZE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 24 July 2004 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correct on all accounts...
<-
<- "I have the same turbo off of a 2000 model"
<-
<-

[Updated on: Sat, 24 July 2004 16:56]

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sun, 25 July 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bit of a late night GZE Shocked .

Thanks mate..have you rotated your housings...ie. taken circlip out removed vclamp etc.

How hard is it to get the circlip out?

I dont know where the locating pin is though
AE82-GZE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sun, 25 July 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah mate always up that late.... Confused

I have given the exhaust side a go but couldn't get it to budge.. Mad

For my setup the exhaust side doesn't really need to be rotated
as it will be high mounted so the pipes will come out of the
head and point up into the turbo so my comp side outlet will
need to point down so it will need to be rotated about 90
degrees.. I haven't given this side a go yet as I need to
get a set of cir-clip pliers, unless someone know how to get the
clip out another way ???

With the locating pin, I think it will be on the inside of the
rim where the turbo's center goins.. I will use the dremel to
cut / grind it out.. This shouldn't be any hastle at all..

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sun, 25 July 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me know how you go GZE Smile

I will hae to rotate the exhaust housing won't I, if I want the exhaust inlet on the turbo facing up (so pipe can come downwards into it. Does the exhaust side rotate relative to the centre bit with oil and coolant bits (just looks like they're fixed relative to each other

THanks
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sun, 25 July 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also - any pics of ae82 turbo installs (or links) would be greatly appreciated.

Cooling for an AE82..Does anybody know where to get thin electric fans (I was hhaving a look at some daihatsus etc)?

The turbo looks like it will be pretty close to starter motor (I don't want to fork out for HPC coating though)..Whats that spray paint like at Repco etc for this type of thing(does it work at all).

I know you can get the exhaust wrap will this be sufficient..would have rathered not use it.

Thanks

[Updated on: Sun, 25 July 2004 08:18]

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sun, 25 July 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to get exhuast housing off take off clamp and spray with wd40 and belt with hammer till it comes off Evil or Very Mad

here are the pics of the starlet turbo install,

bit tight but works well

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/dheiler/newpics/star1.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/dheiler/newpics/star2.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/dheiler/newpics/star3.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/dheiler/newpics/star5.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/dheiler/newpics/star6.jpg
Dale

[Updated on: Sun, 25 July 2004 10:20]

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sun, 25 July 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for pics Dale Smile Very Happy .

Very tight indeed. Is your turbo manifold coated with anything to reduce heat? (HPC or anything?).

Also..you rotated the exhust housing, but does that not move relative to the centre piece...i.e the oil inlet (small orifice can be seen in my previous pics) that has to be on top right?? SO gravity feeds it to the outlet.

Cheers!
AE82-GZE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sun, 25 July 2004 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, Both the comp side and the exhaust side can be rotated
separately from the center... IE: oil feed stays at the top and
the front and rear can go on any angel you like, but as Dale
said "you will have to weld on some tabs so that the waste-gate
can be mounted..."

Thanks for the pics Dale... Any update on the 4age ones ???
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sun, 25 July 2004 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep housings can be rotated so the oil feed stays at the top,

still chasing the 4age pics, ill get some asap,

Dale
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Thu, 29 July 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just trying to pull apart my td04. Having a try at prying apart. Took the clamp off put screwdriver between exhaust housing and body but doesn't budge. Any ideas..

http://img56.exs.cx/img56/102/IMG_0026.jpg

http://img56.exs.cx/img56/1503/IMG_0029.jpg
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Thu, 29 July 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that wont do jack, hold the turbo by the compressor cover with the exhuas housing pointing the ground and belt it with a hammer, it will come loose Smile

Dale
Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 16 October 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bash it.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 16 October 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use a "dead blow hammer". They are the suckers with the lead beads in the head!

regards Chuck.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sat, 16 October 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, I used "stumpy" (my affectionate name for what is effectively a miniature sledge), sprayed the turbo with wd40, left for half an hour, then tapped the inlet all the way around till it eventually came off
Tarkers
Regular

October 2004
Re: Little turbos on a 4AGE Sun, 03 April 2005 09:54 Go to previous message
hey, old thread, how did you go highrolla ? im gathering the bits to do the same thing, but ive got a ct26 instead
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cheapest performance mod i have ever done
Next Topic:IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 20:58:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.078394889831543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.