Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
ke55 creaking steering rack Sat, 24 July 2004 14:18 Go to next message
when my steering is on full lock the rack creaks n stuff heaps, i dont go fast and try not to put it on full lock cause i dont wana brake nething, anyone got any ideas? is there a steering rack upgrady i can do to something like a ke70 or ae71 or something like that that feels a bit stronger maybe?
  Send a private message to this user    
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: ke55 creaking steering rack Sun, 25 July 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your ke55 has a steering box, same as a ke30, and similar to ke20 and ke10. ke70 has steering rack, which bolts to the engine crossmember. it's all totally different, but could be made to fit if you can work with metal (chop chop weld weld)

i personally don't think you'd benefit from changing it. steering box systems flex a bit at full lock if you're really caning it, but you aren't so it's not a problem. the steering in these cars is really light, that's one of the best things about them!

i've sometimes found that the steering stops (little plastic cups on the control arms) wear or fall off, causing the wheel to turn more and rub the inner guard, hence the creaking. my ke35 used to do this. a good wheel alignment with lots of castor can fix this up, but it may be something else
rotorace
Regular

August 2003
Re: ke55 creaking steering rack Sun, 25 July 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my ke20 used to creak when turning hard and driving slowly, like out of my driveway. it was the bushes in the idler arm which were shot. spray a bit of adhesive lube on the bushes and i bet it goes away........
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke55 creaking steering rack Sun, 25 July 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my cressida did this as well..when reversing out of the drive etc..

took it to wheel align guy, he found all it was that needed was greasing up of full lock stops on the control arms. its a metal on metal thing..

does that make any sense.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 creaking steering rack Mon, 26 July 2004 09:06 Go to previous message
makes sense and yes it is jsut when im reversing out of the driveway like everyone elses problems are. when it stops raining ill get under with the wd40, if thats no good ill bust out the grease
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3t questions???????
Next Topic:4age wiring questions !!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 18:37:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057761669158936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.