Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 08:40 Go to next message
Just contemplating what i will get for my next car,

Im thinking WRX, S15, or RZ supra.

What would you buy out of those three purely with performance in mind?

Thanks,
Scott
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s15/supra
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S15 fo' shizzle!

I wouldn't even think about the other 2.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd buy an ae86
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S15 FOR SURE NO DOUBT BOUT IT... have you seen those things drift? the power? the mods abilities?

MATE forget everything else!!!! i know this is a toy forum but F!@k IT Very Happy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The JZA80. Hands down.
It 0wnz the other two in every way.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 19:21

The JZA80. Hands down.

Ahem..... You reckon?

Ploise exploin..... (Just curious as to your reasoning).
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they all have their pros and cons...

Pros:

S15 - Shitloads of aftermarket parts, Proven formula, easy to extract power from, Aus delivered

WRX - Great handling, AWD, Launches hard, Aus delivered

Supra - Looks, can make BIG POWAH, RWD

Cons:

S15 - Not sure if i wanna drift, not very roomy

WRX - Every1 has one, Insurance is soo expensive, harder to extract power from, drivetrain not so strong when making bigger numbers

Supra - Import means Insurance higher, heavy and wide

I have more finer points lol, but thats them in general.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I guess we are all replying based on what WE would want. Really depends on what you will use it for.
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well... i want all 3 hahaha, hence y i wanted your opinions! Very Happy

Im leaning towards s15 over the wrx and am almost ready to discard the supra...

the wrx appeals to me as its 4 doors and pretty quick stock..

the s15 cos its rwd, looks good and can be lots of fun Very Happy

I hate loving cars so much lol
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supra Evil or Very Mad
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what... and trade in the ENZO
s15
the others are too dated
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the s15
the can support 300 horsies (reportedly) with stock internals, have a shite load of aftermarket parts, look PHAT, dont break that many gear boxes (s14 gearbox is stronger and is easy 2 fit even tho u only have 5 gears instaid of 6) and are the cheapest to get screamin out of those 3.
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wrx's dont handle as well as most people think, yes they are good, but nothing to really brag about. S15's have always been a fav, good for lots of stuff and can easily deliver power. The supra you dont have to spend much money on to get good power (if its the newer shape) but are a lil chunky for my liking....

i would go S15 or maybe the Supra, but i wouldnt go the wrx...in the end, its up to you buddy!
98rollacsx
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S15 hands down... won MOTOR performance car of the year 2001, over a 911 Turbo Shocked Admittedly though, the 911 outperformed it in every single arena bar price.

As for the wrx's handling, from what ive seen they are underrated even through their massive talk-ups. Ive seen a wrx in canberra take the inside lane of a small/medium sized roundabout, turning right, with a van in the outside lane at EASILY 80km/h though it looked more like 120... without even screeching the tyres.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 July 2004 10:52]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Out of those I'd be picking the Supra, lot less of them, they have a commanding presence neither of the other two can manage.

They handle well, stop well, go well and the interior is built around the driver.

Meh, but thats just me.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s15 all the way

coz they can go sideways like this:

http://www.shift-lock.net/japan/day526.jpg

(yes hes got his door open... silly kazama-san)
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well my long term plans as of right now are to get a supra next, so ill vote supra. s15 is pretty much just as good (better in some ways, not in others), but it just doesnt fit with my plans.

subi, questionable drive train reliability. cos i know if i had a 4wd, id be giving that area of the car a hard time. and theyre not really that handsome are they. and the traffic light GP really doesnt mean that much to me.
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out the dude at the bottom of that pic hahhaha Rolling Eyes
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TokenBlackGuy wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 21:43

Check out the dude at the bottom of that pic hahhaha Rolling Eyes

its called a wigga TBG
hahah

its the guy who went to japan and took the photos
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 19:24

Nark wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 19:21

The JZA80. Hands down.

Ahem..... You reckon?

Ploise exploin..... (Just curious as to your reasoning).

It's faster in a straight line.
Faster around a track.
Faster to stop.
Was compared to 911s in its heyday (and won because of ability, not price).
Is built better.
Has a modern engine, not one that still has rockers.
Has more power.
Has more potential for shitloads of power.
Has huge gobs of torque.
Has the best inline 6 in the world after the M3 engine.

Do I need to continue?

What's good about an S15? People drift them. Rolling Eyes
WRXies are right out of the question, unless you want a car that handles like shit.
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 20:53

s15 all the way

coz they can go sideways like this:

http://www.shift-lock.net/japan/day526.jpg

(yes hes got his door open... silly kazama-san)

but its not sideways Confused ??

looks like it was sideways - unless it just blew the engine & he's getting out to inspect the damage?

edit: id buy an S15 too.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 July 2004 13:09]

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it was a performance-only buy, the Supra would be my choice every time. From a sensibility point of view, the S15 is the way to go and still provides very very good performance.

Despite being a Toyota forum, you are asking the sik-bro drifter crowd who think Sprinters are performance cars, so you were bound to get a swath of people saying teh S15 can nevar loose.

S15 is definitely a lovely machine though, and given the money it would still be a close call with the Mk4.

The WRX doesn't even come close unless you're talking STi... and that extra money spent on the other cars would make them far better again.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Mon, 26 July 2004 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supra all the way with all reasons nark said
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed, Nark and 7M-Brisbane have summed it up beatuifully.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have to ask the question, you don't deserve a Supra. Go and buy the Datsun, and feel free to "drift" it into a pole. Razz
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 00:15

Despite being a Toyota forum, you are asking the sik-bro drifter crowd who think Sprinters are performance cars, so you were bound to get a swath of people saying teh S15 can nevar loose..

Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't be generalising like that man..... As per my previous post, we are answering based on what we would personally want. I have driven both S15 (stock) AND Supra (moderate to high tune) and personally liked the S15 a whole lot more.

I reckon it's about the whole experience when driving a car, part of which is feeling like you are moving fast - which, due to it's size and weight, just didn't happen with the Supra.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Supra if you want a performance car. For all the reasons Nark mentioned and more. It's in a different league to the WRX and S15.

S15 if you want to drift like everyone else. Rockers, Meh. Buy the Supra and learn to drift in that! Or if you realy want to drift a lot, buy two SR20 S13s instead so you can crash one and not worry about it.

WRX if you want to waste your money. STis are good, but the standard WRX is below par. And it's an AWD so doesn't take to well to hard launches and burnouts (if thats your thing).

Of course I am just going on theory here as I have never driven any of these cars.

Edit: AE86slut, I felt like an MA70 auto was going a lot faster than the manual S13 CA18DET I drove, even though I actualy went faster in the S13.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 July 2004 04:15]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 14:03

I reckon it's about the whole experience when driving a car, part of which is feeling like you are moving fast - which, due to it's size and weight, just didn't happen with the Supra.

Cars with great flat torque curves tend to feel sluggish when in fact they're not.

But I agree with you. The one bad thing about the JZA80 is that it's too heavy. The S15 is a lot more "chuckable".
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How many people here who say that 'WRXs handle like shit' have actually driven one?

Their handling isn't completely their strong point, but generally they are an exceptionally balanced car (good weight management), and they have AWESOME traction compared to the other two pieces o' junk Razz There are obvious reasons for that! Having said that, the newer ones are apparently not as good handling as the my00 and my99 etc...

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the torque curve is great, but if it dulls the experience...

The Supra can weigh over 1,500 kgs.... The S15, about 1,250.

Your comment about chuckability is my main reason for rating the S15 higher. A car should be fun to drive. I am not saying the Supra is not fun to drive, I just think for an everyday/occasional track car, the S15 fits the bill very nicely. If I were to build a dedicated track car, had the same choice and a big budget, I would build a Supra without a doubt.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I say WRXs handle like shit and I've driven a few.

FWDboy wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 14:20

they have AWESOME traction compared to the other two pieces o' junk Razz There are obvious reasons for that!

Can you enlighten me over this point? Because I just can't see what the obvious reasons are.

They have absolutely no grip at the front. Push even moderately hard and they understeer.
By the time you *can* get on the power in a WRX, the S15 and JZA80 would be in the distance because they would have started putting down their power way beforehand.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 July 2004 04:49]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 14:25

Yes, the torque curve is great, but if it dulls the experience...

The Supra can weigh over 1,500 kgs.... The S15, about 1,250.

Your comment about chuckability is my main reason for rating the S15 higher. A car should be fun to drive. I am not saying the Supra is not fun to drive, I just think for an everyday/occasional track car, the S15 fits the bill very nicely. If I were to build a dedicated track car, had the same choice and a big budget, I would build a Supra without a doubt.

I agree. I had a decision once: I could buy a JZA80 but I'd have to sell my car.
I couldn't do it, 'coz I'd miss throuing my car around too much.
You just can't do that with a JZA80 unless you were on a track. It's just not the sort of car you can throw around without browning your pants... Smile

But still, saying that. I've had a time when I had to make a decision whether to buy an S15 once too and decided against it 'coz I couldn't stand the knowledge that it had such an old engine (in terms of design) in it. Sad

Both cars have their bad points. The one thing in favour of the JZA80 is that you have the knowledge that you can rip everything out of it to make it lighter.... Now *that* would be uber-cool... Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't deserve a Supra if you have to ask the question.

Buy a turbo VL Commodore - it will fit you like a glove.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 July 2004 06:01]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much would these cars b worth ????
like what price range . I have a friend who is looking at buying a new car and would like 2 help him make the right choice
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Supra, S15 close second.
Supra because of the quality, the fact that you can get a reliable 600-800hp out of the engine just with a big turbo (ie keeping stock internals), sure the S15 probably has a few less kgs but I question the build quality of Nissans, and especially the electrical stuff... but that's just me.
Plus it's a 4cyl...
Plus there are a lot of S15s on the road.
But look at the reasons above.
Horsepower-wise, to get the same out of a Nissan, you're going to spend a lot more than with the Supra, that's a well-known fact.
You make the decision.
WRX?
No.
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh you ever seen the video of the JUN Supra drifting around the track?
1000hp/1000ft.lbs
Incredible.
I'd like to see a Silvia do that.
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy an m3 bmw early 90s
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beer_is_good wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 16:00

you can get a reliable 600-800hp out of the engine just with a big turbo

Mate, of course it is easier to get big numbers from the Supra - it's 1L bigger and a 6, but it aint THAT easy.....

I'm not really too sure that thug_immortal is wanting 600-800 hp anyways....

And as for the JUN Supra, I have seen Sivlia's doing similar stuff.
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easy compared to head work plus new bottom end, gearbox, and probably diff in the Nissan, but yes I'm meaning relatively speaking.
I just love straight sixes... and yes another 1L in engine capacity helps... but that's kinda the point. Smile
And don't get me wrong, 600-800hp would still cost a bucketload, I'm not that naive... Razz
Let the thug decide.
And hope he doesn't go to... the dark side.

And (as everybody knows) a Supra is a tourer not a dorift-mobile... so yes it does depend what he wants.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 16:12

And as for the JUN Supra, I have seen Sivlia's doing similar stuff.

RESTECP teh JUN dorift!
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you say if i have to ask the question then i dont deserve the supra, i own an ma70 now and love it, and would love to get an jza80... but looking at it now, i think its too impractical.

for starters, its an import and insurance will be a killer, seccondly its HUGE and im over the lard ass cars, they just aint as fun. thirdly i want an allround car, looks, performance, reliability, be able to take it on the track, maybe throw it sideways and take it to the dragstrip to get some times.

I know the wrx isnt newhere near the other two, but its a 4 door and thats appealing to me as ive only ever had 2 door cvars and had to squeeze people in the back. It looks like i will be crossing to the dark side depending on a few test drives but to me, it looks like the nissan is in front. It may be old engine technology but its worked MANY times before and has a HUGE following, as does the other cars.

The next few weeks will tell as to what i will decide on, and i will let you all know what it is.

As to what these cars are worth, look around the 30k+ mark and there is your price.

Thanks to everyone, just good to get peoples scope on things
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thug_immortal wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 16:57

It may be old engine technology but its worked MANY times before and has a HUGE following

I've heard the same from the V8 brigade. Smile

Really, at the end of the day, it's your choice. Our opinions don't really mean much because your set of requirements are different from ours.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WRX, don't care what anyone else says as its my choice but as for a Toyota performance wise a Supra Very Happy
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are that keen on a 4 door car buy an xr6.
4 doors and an inline 6 engine, i don't think you could get a turbo model for 30k, but you could get a nice late AU or maybe an early BA model for that price.
Just a thought...
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah xr6t is nice, but i only really like the ute, but once again they are heavy and large at all points..

I do like the thought that the xr6t will run 11's with the APS stage 3 kit attached Very Happy (it could be stage 4...not sure on that one) and also hit 300km/h
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a good idea
keep the bloody ma70
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
standard wrx is suprisingly underpowered - my ma61 beats the pants off them every time. JZA80 would be my personal choice....
For you, you need to tell us what you're gonna do.
wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Tue, 27 July 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thug_immortal wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 16:57

for starters, its an import and insurance will be a killer, seccondly its HUGE and im over the lard ass cars, they just aint as fun. thirdly i want an allround car, looks, performance, reliability, be able to take it on the track, maybe throw it sideways and take it to the dragstrip to get some times.

Well, the insurance for either of the car will be huge because they are all turbo'ed performance cars. I doubt the insurance for an RZ Supra is much more in comparison to the S15 or Rex.

The Supra would also be good for any of the criteria you listed but perhaps not drag racing (terribly slow takeoff). They can drift well with some good customized suspension too. Not to mention being the best looking car of the lot.

The RZ would be my choice, followed closely by the Nissan.
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Thu, 29 July 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All three are very nice, but in my opinion

>>>>>>>>>>SUPRA<& lt;<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>ALL THE WAY<<<<<<<<<<

My reasons:

I prefer RWD so the WRX is out,

The only thing that the s15 has over the Supra
is that it drifts better.
Cool

[Updated on: Thu, 29 July 2004 04:45]

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Thu, 29 July 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 14:01

If you have to ask the question, you don't deserve a Supra. Go and buy the Datsun, and feel free to "drift" it into a pole. Razz

Amen! Supra all the way! ^ Speed box's in the S15 are weak, my friend blew 4 of them, with only 250rwkw, another friend has a JZA80, with 398rwkw, drives it everyday to work, stock internals, Stock gearbox, brakes, and it has no problems whats so ever. Heck, it was running 320rwkw with the stock ECU, but running lean!

Ohh, and id take a 2JZGTE over an M3 motor! Biased opinion of course Razz
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Thu, 29 July 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 20:31

standard wrx is suprisingly underpowered - my ma61 beats the pants off them every time. JZA80 would be my personal choice....
For you, you need to tell us what you're gonna do.

what is the performance figures for a stocko ma61 and a stocko WRX which is the quicker? I have never driven a ma61 so can't really comment here but would like to know? Confused
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Thu, 29 July 2004 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

They have absolutely no grip at the front. Push even moderately hard and they understeer.
By the time you *can* get on the power in a WRX, the S15 and JZA80 would be in the distance because they would have started putting down their power way beforehand.

There's a reason I used the word 'traction'...handling, traction and grip are all slightly different things, you are bitching about the cars handling (suspension related), and it's grip (tyre related) however I was praising neither of them...I'm saying it gets it's power down on the ground without slipping WAY better than the other two because it's AWD and the others are RWD (a result of the tractive effort being more evenly distributed amond the fours wheels and tyre grip). Try driving each of them in the wet and you'll see what I mean! Personally I find that the WRX is not as bad an 'understeerer' as people say, it's a bit of a myth, I've heard the 'understeer' in a WRX being compared to the kind of understeer you get in stock JZAs - it's just JZAs aren't as big flamebait as WRXs. Sure you can oversteer a JZA really nicely - but that's more than likely just a result of not pushing the front end hard enough through the corner and hence who is to say which one comes out faster at the start of the straight bits Smile

I must stress though that I haven't driven a JZA so you can COMPLETELY ignore that last part if you so wish, it's only what I've heard.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Thu, 29 July 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven - you aren't talking about a stock MA61 vs stock WRX?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Thu, 29 July 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with FWDBoy here.
Having owned 3 AWD subies in the past, including an import Legacy GT wagon, I can't say the handling is that bad.
You've just got to remember that its a front wheel drive with rear wheel assist, and adapt you've driving style to suit. ie slow in, fast out

The only mods I did to the suspension on mine was a set of 2" lowered springs, with stock springs & swaybars.
With that I would confidently pick my corner speed by getting the advisery sign speed, doubling it, then adding ANOTHER 20KM/H!
I still haven't matched this in the Caldina, despite replacing the entire suspension. Others on this forum can attest to how fast I drive round corners.

Gearboxes & synchros only break because of hamfisted drivers who want to do clutch dumps at 6000rpm.
The clutch is a weak point, but you've got to have something that'll slip otherwise you start breaking other stuff, like gearboxes.

Can't comment on the other 2, but I'd have the Supra over the S15, it communicates better the transistion to oversteer instead of being on/off boost.

But that's just me.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Fri, 30 July 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 17:01

what is the performance figures for a stocko ma61 and a stocko WRX which is the quicker? I have never driven a ma61 so can't really comment here but would like to know? Confused

I don't have the figures for a stock MA61, but having owned three of them I can tell you they struggle to keep up with a stock Excel. A WRX will absolutely blow it away without even trying.

Draven was talking about his MA61, which is far from stock and may or may not have a pair of turbos under the bonnet. Razz
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Fri, 30 July 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 30 July 2004 20:31

mick wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 17:01

I don't have the figures for a stock MA61, but having owned three of them I can tell you they struggle to keep up with a stock Excel. A WRX will absolutely blow it away without even trying.

Draven was talking about his MA61, which is far from stock and may or may not have a pair of turbos under the bonnet. Razz

r ok now i understand
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What would you buy PERFORMANCE wise? Fri, 30 July 2004 16:57 Go to previous message
dravens ma61, unless there is something severely wrong with it should smash the tits off a wrx
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:flat black on a old celi
Next Topic:*YET ANOTHER SPRINTER BROKEN INTO!!!*
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:29:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076119899749756 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.