Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Insurance or car suggestions?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
98rollacsx
Newcomer

July 2004
Insurance or car suggestions? Mon, 26 July 2004 10:25 Go to next message
I've done a search on this, but nothing much has come up that was of much use to me.

I'm looking at buying a '92 shape Soarer, non-turbo version (Not sure if there was an n/a 6, but the v8 looks good) and Im 20, no claims in previous 3 years driving, no points lost on license.

I want a nice luxury car with a bit of torque, though not anything too insane... just a nice cruiser. Not intending to thrash it, so the soarer has the looks, options and go that I want. That, and its a Toyota so the reliability should be good.

Problem is, I can't find an insurer that will cover me for a reasonable price (RACV quoted 5,500!) if at all. Suncorp wont do it, Shannons wont do it, AAMI wont do it, Just Cars I havent heard from yet but I dont expect to like the shock they give me.

A car with the kind of performance of something modest like a VT commodore would be nice, anyone have any post-1990 cars that I could look at, for around 12-14k? Or an insurance agency that will cover me full comp for under 2k?

I own a mazda rx2 at the moment, and while its quick enough, its very bare bones and ive had enough of its crap. Also own a 98 corolla csx which is a nice car to drive, but its lacking in power and not all that luxurious. Just want something that will go on nice cruises, feel solid, look good and have a little bit of urge for when you need it. And preferably a toyota/lexus.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Insurance or car suggestions? Mon, 26 July 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try going through a broker dude, if you look around you should be able to get them to find someone to insure you.

Unfortunately I don't know any such companies from Melbourne, so you'll have to wait till they can come up with the names.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Insurance or car suggestions? Mon, 26 July 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
insure it under a parents name wityh you as driver. that way all will insure and it wont 5500, i dont think anyway...
98rollacsx
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: Insurance or car suggestions? Mon, 26 July 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem is I live in a different state to my parents, otherwise I would Razz
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Insurance or car suggestions? Mon, 26 July 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are buying a car of this type, it is likly to make very little difference if you choose the turbo, NA 6cyl, or V8 option. They will all be hard to insure because they're imported, hard to repair, and even the 'slow' NA 6cyl version is something like 220hp.

Quote:

insure it under a parents name wityh you as driver. that way all will insure and it wont 5500, i dont think anyway...

fade-e, please refrain from giving advice in future, as I have seen a number of crap posts in the last few days.

This is particularly important on issues like insurance. Giving wrong advice or misguided opinions in other threads may make you look silly or give someone the wrong idea about a topic, but when you're ripping off an insurance company, it is called FRAUD.

Anyone who reads your post and is unlucky enough to follow your advice, is likely to get caught out in the event of a claim and have their insurance voided. Also, if you get it for $2000 instead of $5000, how happy do you think the insurance company will be that you essentially stole $3000 from them? I certainly wouldn't want to be commiting fraud against some of the biggest companies in the country.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 July 2004 14:32]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Insurance or car suggestions? Mon, 26 July 2004 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

fade-e, please refrain from giving advice in future, as I have seen a number of crap posts in the last few days.

This is particularly important on issues like insurance. Giving wrong advice or misguided opinions in other threads may make you look silly or give someone the wrong idea about a topic, but when you're ripping off an insurance company, it is called FRAUD.

Anyone who reads your post and is unlucky enough to follow your advice, is likely to get caught out in the event of a claim and have their insurance voided. Also, if you get it for $2000 instead of $5000, how happy do you think the insurance company will be that you essentially stole $3000 from them? I certainly wouldn't want to be commiting fraud against some of the biggest companies in the country.

how is this fraud? and how is it wrong info. im telling the guy to buy the car in his dads/mums name and insure it in their name with him as a REGISTERED driver... where is the fraud in that? please answer me???

my car is in my mums name, and insured in her name and im a driver... there is nothing fraudulent about this scenario...

also if you do your homework you would know that you can even insure a car in your name even if it is not registered in your name... the main concern to them is that the car is roadworthy, legal, registered and that they know who are the drivers of the car.

now i dont claim to be the worlds best expert in this but i have checked with all the insurers and asked them every possible question and scenario and they all responded the same and that responce was what i have just said. now they may tell you something different so that you dont do it and they make more money but there is NOTHING ILLEGAL OR FRAUDULENT about what iv said.

i dont post just for the sake of posting, or making myself look stupid! if i donyt know something then i post and ask OR i just follow a thread and not post at all cause i dont know anything bout the topic and i want to know and there is no use asking twice RIGHT? and if i post in a thread then i do so to comment, give opinion or be truthful bout a scenario but NOT get on to speak crap, be fraudulent or lie

im hoping your not having a go at me but in any case it makes no difference to me... AND also for the record if i do mention anything illegal or fraudulent then i will ALWAYS also comment to that fact and mention that it is illegal or fraudulent and that i wouldnt recommend doing it...

i get pulled over heaps living round bankstown cause of my car and everytime they ask whos car it is i tell them its mine but in my mums name and you know what they say? WHO CARES AS LONG AS IT IS REGISTERED AND ROADWORTHY! if i did or am doing something fraudulent im sure they would have said something bout it by now since i have had the car registered for 4yrs and insured for that time aswell
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Insurance or car suggestions? Tue, 27 July 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, let me phrase this another way:

Why would an insurance company charge $2000 or $5000 for the same scenario with the only difference being the registered name? They wouldn't. You said it yourself, the name the vehicle is registered in doesn't mean jack. It's all about who drives the car - and I can 99% guarantee that if you said "I registered it in mum's name because I was trying to rort the system and get cheaper insurance, but it's really my car and I'm basically the only one who drives it" then you'd get the $5000 price.

If you don't, remember one thing. The person on the phone probably gets bonuses/commission/commendation based on how many policies they sell - NOT whether you are adequately covered in the event of a claim. Just because the person works there doesn't mean they are an upstanding representative of the company, or have any plan of being there in two months time... there are thousands of people employed in the insurance industry and it stands to reason that there will be a large number that are dodgy dodgy dodgy.

Believe me, I work in the insurance industry, and $3000 discounts aren't just handed out for no reason. I see it all day, people rip the system (both customers and salespeople) and get away with it... but I also see it just as often when people are left in the cold in the event of a claim.

Insurance companies aren't big bad and evil like everyone thinks - it's just that if they find out you lied or set up the scenario in a way you know would benefit you (eg. registering in mum's name when it's really your car) then they won't be apying a claim... and all of a sudden you'll be on the "fuck insurance companies, stupid bastards" warpath like 9 out of 10 car enthusiasts.
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: Insurance or car suggestions? Tue, 27 July 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Under 21...you have got buckleys with any of the Companies I have worked for..
As for the registered in/owned by/named driver juggle..I thought all this had been stopped by disclosure of who is regular driver/declared/un declared driver/age-experience excess conditions etc etc???
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Insurance or car suggestions? Tue, 27 July 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alot of ppl register cars in their parents names it's not that bigger deal my insurance broker told us (both my mother and me) that its better 2 insure the car under mum or dads name who ever has the most points on their licence.
And what about the ppl who register their cars under their parents name cuz they can get a pensioner discount ? Is that the same fraud?
I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong or have a go at anybody.
7M i bet ur might be right but my experience has been listed above.
I heard that if u don't insure the car in ur own name it can affect long term discounts (ie u have 2 wait longer 4 them)
That's just my opinon/experience .
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Insurance or car suggestions? Wed, 28 July 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have worked in the insurance industry for about 3 years. Based off 47 working weeks a year, 5 working days a week and 7.5 working hours a day (yeah right Mad).... then I've spent over 5,000 hours dealing with insurance... probably not the most on these forumns but I'd wager a lot more than most.

And you know the area I work in? The broker support area. ie... the broker doesn't know something, they call me for help. It is my experience that brokers don't know what they're telling (or selling) people... they get their comission, and the insurance company's underwriting leakage, the broker's PI cover, and their clients pockets absorb the (unending) mistakes they make.

I'm not going to go on and on about this though, so make your own decisions Smile
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Insurance or car suggestions? Thu, 29 July 2004 11:43 Go to previous message
Yeah, i did a similar thing with my car, both insurance and registration are im my parents name, with me down as a driver on the policy.
However it is hardly fraud, the insurance premium went up as a result of me being on the policy, secondly i have to pay an extra $400 age excess, lastly, while it is cheaper to insure the car, CTP insurance is the same as if the car was registered in my name, i.e about $200 more expensive that if i was over 25.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:DIY Servicing
Next Topic:Ae82 Front LIP??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:30:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045650005340576 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.