Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
AE86/4age timing, how/why Sun, 25 July 2004 12:51 Go to next message
I was checking a few things under the hood today, just a general look/see, nothing out of the ordinary until i checked my timing.

I shorted the E1&T terminals just as the book says, but my revs didnt drop nor did the timing change, the check light was flashing so the terminals did short properly, but another thing the timing marks was half way back around the pulley, no where near the timing marks (20,15,10,5,0,5,10), the mark was heaps to the left, but the motor runs fine, what to do i say.

I thought to my self, re-align the dizzy, so i do what the book says,

1) disconnect negative terminal
2) Undo two retaining bolts on the dizzy
3) Remove dizzy, making sure not to damage rubber washer?
4) Align the 2 notches.
5) re-install dizzy and recheck timing and adjust as necessary.

At first it didnt work properly (wouldnt even start, sounded chocked) but i did it again just to make i did it properly, and it was all good again.

But the timing mark was still heaps to far to the left, and the test connector still doesnt change the revs or timing.

I can turn the dizzy till it comes back to 20Deg but it runs like absolute shit (lots of hesitation, poor acceleration), can anybody make heads or tails out of this situation.

Sorry for the long post but i thought if i dont explain properly then people mighten understand what i was trying to say.

Cheers

Steve
  Send a private message to this user    
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AE86/4age timing, how/why Sun, 25 July 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You might have to pull the sparkplugs out and visually inspect for when No1 piston is at top dead centre. Remove the old mark and make a new mark at O degrees on the pulley when piston is at TDC. I would imagine to get the piston to TDC you would disconnect ignitor and give quick cranks of ignition but it will be hard to get it right at TDC..I don't know if you could turn crank pulley by hand. Somebody else with more hands on ewxperience I'm sure will help
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86/4age timing, how/why Mon, 26 July 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HighRolla wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 00:08

You might have to pull the sparkplugs out and visually inspect for when No1 piston is at top dead centre. Remove the old mark and make a new mark at O degrees on the pulley when piston is at TDC. I would imagine to get the piston to TDC you would disconnect ignitor and give quick cranks of ignition but it will be hard to get it right at TDC..I don't know if you could turn crank pulley by hand. Somebody else with more hands on ewxperience I'm sure will help

Everything lines up as it should, piston is tdc, notch is on 0, notch on inlet cam is where is should be, it dont make sense,

2 things are worrying me,

1) the test connector when shorted doesnt drop rpm or timing, as it should, but the check engine light flashes (weird) so the terminals are shorted.

2) ECU has altered the timing dramatically, (why) theres no error codes, make no sense to me,

Any way its going in the shop on friday for a thorou check up and dyno, im keen to see the rwkw, when its running right.

Does any body have any idea why this is so.

Cheers

Steve
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AE86/4age timing, how/why Mon, 26 July 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm sounds an interesting (or annoying one)

If it lines up at TDC O degrees then your distributor may be out by a tooth or something??

If it's running right though it seems odd. When my dizzy was put on with the cog rotated 180 degrees I couldn't get timing within the range displayed on the marks and it ran like shit...either pinging like a whore or farting (dying from being to far retarded)

It sounds like your crank pulley may somehow be incorrectly marked or installed wrongly. If it runs good I don't know if I'd bother doing anything.

Your mechanic may find it to be something simple hopefully

Ben
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86/4age timing, how/why Mon, 26 July 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HighRolla wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 21:44

Hmmmm sounds an interesting (or annoying one)

If it lines up at TDC O degrees then your distributor may be out by a tooth or something??

If it's running right though it seems odd. When my dizzy was put on with the cog rotated 180 degrees I couldn't get timing within the range displayed on the marks and it ran like shit...either pinging like a whore or farting (dying from being to far retarded)

It sounds like your crank pulley may somehow be incorrectly marked or installed wrongly. If it runs good I don't know if I'd bother doing anything.

Your mechanic may find it to be something simple hopefully

Ben

Now for the bizzare thing, 2-3 weeks ago when i checked it, it was fine, and now its all out of wack, been using the same notch as always, i even checked in case there was 2 notches but there wasnt. Im dead set 100% lost. I bet you its something simple too.

Cheers

Steve

[Updated on: Mon, 26 July 2004 12:11]

silly
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: AE86/4age timing, how/why Mon, 26 July 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im no guru, but if your 4age has aircon, the crank pulley for it has some weird timing style (long dash) mark on it. do not confuse this with the crank pulley notch indent. if when u bridge the diagostic check connector and the helper systems dont cut out u have a problem, check all your connection right back to the ecu.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: AE86/4age timing, how/why Mon, 26 July 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure the throttle sensor is adjusted correctly
if its not and itf it doesnt see idle then when checking timing it might be out

have run across this awhile ago stumpt me for ages

to check timing throttle sensor has to read shut

[Updated on: Mon, 26 July 2004 13:35]

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86/4age timing, how/why Tue, 27 July 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 23:32

make sure the throttle sensor is adjusted correctly
if its not and itf it doesnt see idle then when checking timing it might be out

have run across this awhile ago stumpt me for ages

to check timing throttle sensor has to read shut

I did test the TPS as per the manual, and the multi-tester i used only got 2 readings out of 4 different test done, as per what the manual says. Is it possible the TPS has jumped out of wack on its own, ive never touched it.

silly wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 22:56

im no guru, but if your 4age has aircon, the crank pulley for it has some weird timing style (long dash) mark on it. do not confuse this with the crank pulley notch indent. if when u bridge the diagostic check connector and the helper systems dont cut out u have a problem, check all your connection right back to the ecu.

Motor has no airco, i lined the notch on the pulley with the notch on the inlet cam, and i check the cam gears, i double checked to make sure there was only 1 notch and there is only 1 notch on the pulley,i have the right notch. Everything lines up the way it should. Cheers anyway

Cheers

Steve
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86/4age timing, how/why Tue, 27 July 2004 13:40 Go to previous message
Is it possible that this has happened http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76647

Too much to right.

Cheers

Steve
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Maximum guards liped on an 86
Next Topic:AE93 Conversion (GE to 101 GZE)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:32:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065369606018066 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.