Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 heater modifications?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 05:31 Go to next message
When i bought my car i found that the heater controls were stuck and wouldnt move.
I traced this problem back to the heater tap which had leaked through a nylon seal causing it to rust and sieze up.
This looks like it is a design fault and a common problem in all TA22's.

Are there any modifications i can make to the standard heater tap to stop it leaking?

Is there a replacement heater tap which will be able to bolt up under the dash?

Or do i have to change the setup to something mounted in the engine bay like the RA23 celica?

What have other TA22 owners done to fix this problem?

I'll post pictures up later tonight of the old heater tap and where it leaked.

thanks,
tom
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the RT81 i fitted a micro switch the the hot/cold leaver wired it to a toyota VSV for that factory look and got a falcon heater tap... works perfectly

Allan
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another option you have which i have been told of but havent done yet is that you can use the tap from like a RA28 or something newer where the tap is in the engine bay

what you need to do is modify the cabling to go to the engine bay and control it from there. as these parts are still available to buy then it makes it easier to buy parts if that leaks

also you will need to modify all the hoses to accomodate aswell
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remove heater box.
Disassemble heater box.
Throw away heater core.
Go to Jaycar and buy 12v ceramic heater.
Go home and disassemble 12v ceramic heater.
Fit 12v ceramic heater core to TA22 heater box.
Wire up.
Have a beer and say, damm thats a good idea.
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the heater core the same thing as the heater tap? or does this jaycar setup replace that all together?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The jaycar job replaces the heater core. And because the jaycar heater is electric, you dont need the leaking tap.
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how difficult is it to wire up for a person that knows sfa about electronics? lol. thanks i'll go check out this kit and speak to my neighbour about installing it because he'll know how to set it up.
has anybody else found another way such as a replacment tap? a quick and easy fix would rock because the mornings are really cold.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 just came back from drinking all night for me BDAY couldnt sleep and read thisand DAMN THATS A GOOD IDEA Very Happy

i recon im doing pretty well for being pissed but if i cant type please forgive Laughing
kool22
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I replaced mine with a household gas tap. Its been on there for about a year and it works a treat!!! A mate of mine is a plummer, and he just made up some pipe ends to put on the tap, put it all together and I put it in the car. It now means I have to reach down beside the heater box to turn it on and off, but it works well and there is no more puddles of water on the floor.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 - mate that sounds unreal, electric heater! No more waiting for it to warm up in the morning. Also i've replaced the core like 3 times now.

So how do you control the temperature of it then or is it just COLD/HOT?

Cheers
Joel
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed, awesome idea! Smile

TurboRA28 wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 07:47

So how do you control the temperature of it then or is it just COLD/HOT?

Can you do that currently with a normal heater core? Razz
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you can limit the amount of hot water coming into it, which in a rough way controls the temperature.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Tue, 27 July 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spose, I figured that most of the temperature control was from the internal dividers directing normal air around the heater core.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyway, i've just placed an order for one of these jaycar ceramic heaters Smile

My core busted for the 3rd time a few months ago and been putting up without a heater.. So this should work a treat Smile
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img64.exs.cx/img64/4121/zheatertap.jpg

Its leaking here because the nylon seal has worn out.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had thought about an electric heater before but was concerned about current draw. I assume that these things would draw quite a lot wouldn't they? This means you would need reasonably heavy gauge cable through the firewall (yeah I know sterio amplifiers have the same) and a big drain on the alternator, having to push the heater, fan, probably lights and wipers as well.

Cool1, have you done this in yours??? Did you have any problems with noise getting in the sterio???
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On Jaycars website they state it has 2 switches for 150w and 250w.

I have the battery in boot with a heavy duty wire to power things such as ECU, Stero, MSD. I think i'll try running it off here.

But yeah, hopefully alternator can keep up.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So on the low setting it will be drawing more current than a pair of high beam driving lights. I hope you are planning on a good fuse nice and close to the battery.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha maybe it's not such a good modification then..

But its advertised as a heater to plug into the cigarette lighter, the wires for these are very thin and not designed to support large loads are they?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joel,

I think you'll find in the instructions it suggested getting your wiring checked and upgraded if necassary to support 20amps
SIKRA40
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 21:58

Remove heater box.
Disassemble heater box.
Throw away heater core.
Go to Jaycar and buy 12v ceramic heater.
Go home and disassemble 12v ceramic heater.
Fit 12v ceramic heater core to TA22 heater box.
Wire up.
Have a beer and say, damm thats a good idea.

Does this modification work on any heater box? do you know a rough cost of the ceramic heater?

Cheers

Dan
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I have done it.
It works great.
Has a high and low setting.
High and low can be changed even further with resistors.
Yes they draw lots of current until they get hot then the current dies down.
If you think they draw to much current you shouldn't be reading this thread or even visiting this forum cause your a wanka.
The current it does draw is totally worth it compared to the fucked up water heater.
And if you have your heater on every time you drive the car you and even bigger wanka.
If you wanted to you could also fit an air temp sensor somewhere in the car and have the heater automatically controlled.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for confirming that it works well. I'll give it a wirl and see how it goes. The temp sensor idea is rather cool too. Hmm climate controlled RA28.

I wouldn't go on to say that the people asking questions about it are wanka's though, i reckon thats a bit harsh. Not everyone understands this stuff, hence a forum/thread to discuss it and learn more about it.

By the way, they are around $30.. I paid $40 including postage...

Cheers
Joel
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was aimed at someone above who thought they knew they new what they were talking about.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to use a honeywell dial sensor, it has a mechanical t/stat which is a dial, and 3 speeds and heat/cool/fan
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Wed, 28 July 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but dont think I'll bother now cos I aint got aircon like I planned Nope
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 20:32

If you think they draw to much current you shouldn't be reading this thread or even visiting this forum cause your a wanka.

I'm sorry Cool1, but with a quote like that, I think you have just proven to everyone that your a wanker.
7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, if only i read this a week ago. Oh well, have to wait till she goes again.

FYI
You can't get heater taps new from Toyota any more and they only sell one of the two hoses as one is no longer existent (and that hose cost $50ish).

I love the electic heater idea cool1!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 10:17

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 20:32

I'm sorry Cool1, but with a quote like that, I think you have just proven to everyone that your a wanker.

Laughing Least you know the quote was aimed at you Very Happy While you are putting up with water leaking in your car everyone will be putting up with a few amps being sucked from their battery when they have their heater on.
I'm sure lots of people will have sleepless nights because of this Rolling Eyes
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
electric sweet idea!

now on heat control could a dial switch type thingy be used to regulate the voltage the heater gets.... like a trimpot?

providing the dial can handle the voltage and amps the heater pulls? would only pull 12volt at the most yeah? hence lighter socket connection.

I love this idea!

Cheers

Nathan
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You wouldnt be able to use a variable pot directly connected to the heater because of the large switch on current. So you'd have to make circuit using a FET to control the current.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the general idea behind using a ciruit to control the power to the heater to therefor govern the temperature is still viable yes?

ie change in voltage will result in corresponding temp? more volts more temp less volts less temp?

low and high setting just isnt enuf for me but if voltage variation works then im building a setup next week.

keen to hear....thanks Cool1
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA-022 wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 21:17

but the general idea behind using a ciruit to control the power to the heater to therefor govern the temperature is still viable yes?

Yes
Quote:

ie change in voltage will result in corresponding temp? more volts more temp less volts less temp?

Its the current that needs to be varied. But yes.
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the electric heater is a good idea but I want to try keep it as original as possible and still use the standard controls to operate the heater.
I was thinking to myself that i owned a charade for years and never had any heater problems. So i walked out to the old bomb '85 charade in my yard, ripped out the heater box and took off the tap to compare with the celica tap.

http://img70.exs.cx/img70/3484/heatertap001.jpg

it looks like i'll be able to take the tap off the bracket and swap them over. i'll also have to make up a new arm to push the "thing".

http://img70.exs.cx/img70/7975/heatertap002.jpg

Im probably going to have to go to the wreckers and get another charade tap because i may have screwed this one taking it out.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have removed the tap entirely. It still blows cool and warm just like when it had that leacking tap in place.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old skool landcruisers and some hilux have similar tap to the RA23/40 celica - just mount on firewall and re-route hoses to suit - looks factory to me - is what i did.

but ... having read Cool1's heater option... fuck it ... the plumbing comes out of the ra40 next time the engine comes out and in goes mr electric heater.... with a 110amp alternator i should be able to power it and every thermo fan i own while idling . Wink
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 23:02

but ... having read Cool1's heater option... fuck it ... the plumbing comes out of the ra40 next time the engine comes out and in goes mr electric heater.... with a 110amp alternator i should be able to power it and every thermo fan i own while idling . Wink

Thats the spirit Wink
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i actually gotta check my wiring as after the new alternator (is a bosch designed for h/d stationery motor actually but it does the job!) was put it... battery gradually goes flat - me thinks to do with the charge-light circuit but that's another thread.

but sorry to hijack the thread...

the heater in my ma61 won't qyute turn off, and the ra40 one always has a slight leak at the tap under the bonnet (i went thru three before getting the landcruiser one)... i think the factory solution sucks so electric it is.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or just put a jumper you pussies..
I went round for 2 years without a heater.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Thu, 29 July 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iv been without a heater for 4 years now. you dont get used to it but you can easily put up wth it.

with the electric heater idea would you be able to have just one setting controlled by a variable resitor switch like your dash board lights? therefore by adjusting the resistance you can effective control the amps that goes through the circuit while obviously maintaining voltage

now in respect to trying to keep it original and using the stock controls then you could mount the resistor where the LO-HI control is and by turning it to either side hits the resistor ona certain position hence still maintainging heat control.

the vents control wouldnt change at all and the COLD-HOT/motor witch would become obsolete but still look good there Very Happy

Cool1: with the elkectric heater how do you turn it on and off? have you mounted it to the stock control switch or have another one
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Fri, 30 July 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heater taps are about $5 or free from self serve wreckers.
You can get them from almost any car. Falcons have pneumatic
ones, holdens (old as in kingswood) have mechanical (cable) ones,
which are not even usually mounted in the bay (held in place by the heater hoses) Heater hose is cheap by the metre at repco.

The electric heater is good cept for current draw, most older
alternators are 30-45 amps.. most newer cars with more electrics
are 100amps or more nowadays. Easy swaps i think.

how good is 150w/250w of heat though? I would assume that the water core could supply more hot air volume.. but how is it from someone who's done it (for heat flow, and warmup time?)

The ultime, electric for cold morning starts, with it connected
to a timer/bullshit alarm thing with remote options to warm it in the morning for you (alarms also available at jaycar Wink ) and then use the existing core to take over once engine temp gets up.

but dam where all geeks here Wink --- my personal fav is the microswitch to the pneumatic ford valve..
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Fri, 30 July 2004 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new ones are still available but are not cheap. last place i found had them was nz.

personally i also prefer standard taps to electric. spec since audio gear etc already takin lots a power.

my2c.

if anyone wants a price on new toyota thingy tapy things let me know.
7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Sat, 31 July 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah get us a price cause i'm curious to see the price tag is dear'er than my car.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Sat, 31 July 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is'nt there and o ring under that nylon part that actualy seals it? its been ages thankfully no heater tap issues lately Smile

if i ever have the dash out of the MA70 its defeintly geting one of those jaycar heater cores, probably lighter aswell!

Allan
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Sat, 31 July 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, it is the o ring under the nylon washer that does the sealing.
i am almost finished putting together the charade tap to fit the celica. i just need to make the shaft longer and then connect it all up. I'll put up pictures and a bit of a step by step when im done.

*edit* posted by tommo under brothers name

[Updated on: Sat, 31 July 2004 05:58]

TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Sat, 31 July 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi there...

another option...

i replaced the one in my 28 with a vacuum/electric one from a ga70 supra......

piece of piss.

Cheers
Stew
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Sat, 31 July 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So GA supra's are electric and not water?
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Sun, 01 August 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah.. sorry...
i meant i replaced the tap with and electric vacuum tap of ga70

Stew
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 heater modifications? Mon, 02 August 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heater Valve - Part # 87240-14012 - $135.70 in stock
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Mon, 02 August 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW WTF!!!!!!!!! thats bloody expensive... and then you need shipping to get it to my place...

ill go for the jaycar and get a custom resistor made to adjust wattage
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Mon, 02 August 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scrote wrote on Mon, 02 August 2004 14:47

Heater Valve - Part # 87240-14012 - $135.70 in stock

1).Heater tap from G11 Charade in backyard: $0 (im guessing $5-10 from wreckers)

2).Grind off old celica tap from the bracket.

3).Carefully lift up tangs holding charade tap onto bracket and then mount the charade tap onto the celica bracket.

4);Brass rod and sleeve from hobby store: $6

5).Solder brass rod and sleeve together then attatch to shaft otherwise it'll be too short.

connect it all back up and its like new.

Total of around $10

I didnt get photos of it because i was too exciting to get it back in and see if it worked or not.
Im pretty confident that this tap wont leak anytime soon because its got 10-15 years on the celica tap and it looks like they designed it to seal better. the tap itself is also made out of brass not steel so it doesnt rust.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Mon, 02 August 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what did you use to weld the pieces together? brass weling or solder iron or what?
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 heater modifications? Mon, 02 August 2004 07:19 Go to previous message
i used a soldering iron to hold the brass sleeve to the brass rod. The solder wouldnt stick to the original shaft because i think its a stainless steel so i used the pin to hold the brass sleeve to the shaft.
If i did it again id use some kind of glue aswell as the pin.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GZ20 fuel pump(s) locations
Next Topic:Silver Standard JZA80 16" Wheels - Tyres?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 09:55:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071499347686768 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.