Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » JDM ECU from st162 import!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Wed, 28 July 2004 23:59 Go to next message
Just wondering if i could put in a JDM ecu from a st162 into my 1986 celica sx..
Would it be much of a benefit, it would be having extractors and exhaust later down the track...
How much would they cost too!
Thanx
Adrian
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Thu, 29 July 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This should work OK, but ensure you run the top ULP always, the 98 RON stuff like BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax.
The JDM ST162 ECU has a slightly more 'aggressive' mapping for timing and ignition, to make use of the better spec fuel in Japan, as they have 100RON stuff standard there.
Don't expect to create a race-car, but you should feel slightly better acceleration with this mod.
And, if you don't like it, swap back to the standard ECU.
It would be worth looking at your static timing when you first install the JDM ECU as well. You may need to advance it a little from the stock setting.
Cheers,
Mitch.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Thu, 29 July 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
Interesting.....
I spoke to a mate who had disabled TVIS from the ecu, would it be worth removing? i heard it revs out cleaner etc...
Might check it out!!!
Would it be quicker?
Regards
Adrian!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Thu, 29 July 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by doing that you'd loose some torque down low, but yeah would become "cleaner" in the higher rev range, wouldn't make much differance over all though, cause you be slower off the line but make up for it later Rolling Eyes
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Thu, 29 July 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pleeeze let's not get in to the "is T-VIS worth removing" schpeel again peeps Wink

we have had this conversation like a million times, and the conclusion is that it is best left there, the top end gain isn't worth the low-end sacrifice

but if you search there are some pretty good articles on the whys and hows

the ECU is a nice "bolt in" power upgrade.. but yes.. you need to run premium

Very Happy
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Thu, 29 July 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What Rob said.
"T-VIS versus not" has been done to death. Covered a zillion times on this and other forums and has web pages dedicated to it.
Try the JDM ECU, if you like it, keep it, just don't expect miracles from this mod.
Mitch.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 July 2004 05:38]

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Thu, 29 July 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
Got back from toyospares

$90 for a JDM ecu... they cost the same as the normal...

I'm just wondering if i'd have to change anything else to get it running in particular...

Reckon i could get another kw or 2 from changing it?
Regards
Adrian
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Thu, 29 July 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm..never thought about that, the JDM ECU, i wonder if i have a JDM ecu, how can you tell if its a JDM ECU?? then i wouldnt' need to get an aftermarket ignition sys. and just leave the SAFC as is.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Thu, 29 July 2004 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good luck telling them apart...
I'm surprised they reckon the JDM is the same cost seeing as it must come off of a car that has been imported.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Thu, 29 July 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Fri, 30 July 2004 00:42

Good luck telling them apart...
I'm surprised they reckon the JDM is the same cost seeing as it must come off of a car that has been imported.

Hey,
They can tell because they said there is pink writing on the ecu and that is done in japan by the guys up there, the wrecker writes in white. I'm pretty sure any of the ecus from the import car would be the 160hp equivelent for the jdm engine, after all jdm just means japanese domestic market...

Hope the looms are all the same...
Would they most likely?

Regards
Adrian
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Fri, 30 July 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pull your ecu out and take it down there for a look Razz

160hp -> 120kW, it'd be unlikely that solely the ECU is responsible for that. There's also a difference in compression ratio. Get your car dyno tuned as well - who knows what differences there are in factory settings between the jap and aus ST162 for things like the AFM/AFR etc so you don't want to run a setting that will either kill power, driveability or engine internals.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Fri, 30 July 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or the cat and/or emissions Smile
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: JDM ECU from st162 import!!! Fri, 30 July 2004 22:54 Go to previous message
[/quote]

Hey,
They can tell because they said there is pink writing on the ecu and that is done in japan by the guys up there, the wrecker writes in white. I'm pretty sure any of the ecus from the import car would be the 160hp equivelent for the jdm engine, after all jdm just means japanese domestic market...

Hope the looms are all the same...
Would they most likely?

Regards
Adrian[/quote]

I looked at my ECU and i couldn't find any pink writing, i did find a sticker with "TU" or "UT" i can't remember which way,but maybe i didn't look hard enough.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cannon mufflers
Next Topic:KE55 front gaurds
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 07:13:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040509700775146 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.