Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 08:18 Go to next message
I was just thinking too myself about running computer controled ignition with carbies as a first step to aftermarket efi with quad throttles etc. Is this a dumb idea? would it work well, is there a cheapish way to do it?

random thought for the day.

thanks

Daniel
  Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u r nuts Razz

i dont even know if there is a way to do it, maybe a full MSD setup, but thats point less
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha u replied as promised.

yer i have heard of mega spark? computer or something. i thought it would be cool to get a cas and coil packs happening
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is an aussie made igniton only computer on the market. wiat, ill go get the link off my dead computer.>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.delta-digital.com.au/

$300 last time i checked.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know im just talking to myself but i was reading the mega squirt website and there is no mention of the 'mega spark' that i have heard about on the forums. It is only available on the mega squirt 2 which isnt finished yet. Also it has a vacume input for the map sensor inside but say i mounted the computer inside the cabin wouldnt the metres of piping make the vacume signals innacurate or doesnt the vacume decrease over long lenghts.

i also cant seem to find a price on these! maybe im not looking hard enough.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaycar High energy ignition kit and programmable ignition kit
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://picasso.org/mjlj/index.jsp
amwtoy
Regular

March 2004
Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How pointless would it actually be to do something like this? Electronics is definitely way more up more alley than mechanics, and i often wonder what kind of cool stuff could be done by using various sensors around the car to change ignition timing depending on the situation. Couldn't be too hard to put some controllable vents around an intake manifold either i'd imagine, though i know noone seems to think too much of TVIS around here Wink
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mega spart is just a part of megasquiurt efi. You can get it to control your fuel or fuel and spark. I dont think it will control spark only though.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually if you're keen you can setup Megasquirt to control spark only... but if you're going to build the computer, you may as well run both spark & fuel.

get membership on the MS site <www.msefi.com> and spend a few days reading up as you can do stuff like extra add functionality to control extra injectors, NoS, water injection, thermo fans, aircon control, etc

for those interested, we're setting up People100's 18RGUE to run fuel-only megasquirt until the turbo is running, then we'll convert it to fuel & spark.

... and my manifold is back from People100 for testing so the 18Rt will soon be 18Rte (fuel & spark) so brisbanites should get a glimps of DIY EFI shortly.

... oh... the issue about long vacuum lines isn't a major issue - the developers of megasquirt worked out that 6 foot of piping produced about 1 milisecond of delay between vacuum change in manifold and at th sensor ... vacuum won't be 'lost' in a long tube - but a softwalled tube will expand/contract in sympathy with MAP , so you just use thicker or nylon tubing.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Wed, 28 July 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I wouldn't bother - if you're planning to install EFI, save up for a while longer, and do it all at once. With carbs, upgrading the ignition control like that isn't going to make a MASSIVE difference, probably not enough to warrant the time/expense of setting something up to throw away again later...
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Thu, 29 July 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spent the night reading up on the MS and the UMS and it sounds interesting. I read the thread on the megasquirt on toymods and they are only arround $200? Although i am disabled at soldering my grandfather was a RAAF mecanic and electricion on the jet planes or something so he could do it for me hmm. I was also reading on the site there are provisions for water temp sensor and air temp sensor. is the air tempriture necessary? What i read didnt spell it out but it said they only thought it would be used for boosted cars?

also if i was to run quad throttles where would i get an accurate vacume if i didnt have an airbox?

oh i noticed what you said charles about the map tubing distance 1ms delay for 30 feet of tubing, however i thought that long tubing would get kinked bending all arround.

PS i would love to see the megasquirt in action, do you have pics of the manifold people 100 didnt have a camera when i spoke to him last night.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Thu, 29 July 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh im checking out the two sites the delta site is a wealth of information Rolling Eyes Very Happy

jaycar looks interesting too
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Thu, 29 July 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you call or email them theyre actually pretty helpfull. the software is dos based, but they were upgrading to windows, so id say thatd be done by now. the tuning is pretty coarse, and i spoke to someone who sets them up also, he said the dont usually bother with load referance. really i think its more for someone who wants to fit carbs to an efi engine, like i considered doing to the 4ag going into my sprinter. mrshin is right though, if you think youre going to have efi eventually, dont bother.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Thu, 29 July 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

also if i was to run quad throttles where would i get an accurate vacume if i didnt have an airbox?

I made sort of balance pipe between four runners. It has vacuum ports for map, vacuum advance in dizzy and brake booster. Idle and fast idle lines are connected to this pipe also.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: ignition only computer on 18rg Thu, 29 July 2004 12:52 Go to previous message
munki wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 18:14

<snip> I was also reading on the site there are provisions for water temp sensor and air temp sensor. is the air tempriture necessary? What i read didnt spell it out but it said they only thought it would be used for boosted cars?

oh i noticed what you said charles about the map tubing distance 1ms delay for 30 feet of tubing, however i thought that long tubing would get kinked bending all arround.

PS i would love to see the megasquirt in action, do you have pics of the manifold people 100 didnt have a camera when i spoke to him last night.

air temp sensor is required for NA or boosted - NA cars don;t need the open-caged sensor, and you could probably get away with coolant sensors for bot. air temps on turbo can change rapidly hence the need for a better sensor. main point of air temp is to accurately compensate for it.

btw: handy source appears to be v6 commodore - is in back of intake manifold - requires largish spanner (17mm? 19mm?) to remove and comes with a neato and small water-proof plug. Fits in most pockets and the bulge looks like your keys.

there's a few low budget methods of getting vacuum from quad TB - cheapest involves a fuel filter, a few gas-welding nozzles - but seach the MS site as i have a read a few threads about that.

i'm running a thick but flexible tube to the ECU for the MAP sensor. fwiw the hose snaking it's way to my boost guage is nylon and despite being yanked on numerous times, it's not yet kinked - but i see your point. Perhaps best solution is to plumb in the line while the dash is out?

i'm buying a camera on the weekend so i'll post pics of the manifold, various bits of hardware AND ben's 18RGUE(T) powered TA.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 July 2004 12:53]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:T300S on 1G-GTE
Next Topic:MA61 DBA rotors and pads????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 07:51:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053970813751221 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.