Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
letmedrift
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Noob questions: gear shifting Wed, 28 July 2004 15:13 Go to next message
Hi there, I've been driving my stock Sprinter for a few weeks now and its the first manual car i've driven so I am seeking advice from you guys!

1. What RPM is good for upshift? I noticed autos upshift at 3k RPM. But it feels smoother when I shift at ~2.7k.

2. Is the 1-3K RPM range the most fuel economical? Even when accelerating hard (not for racing)?

3. I have trouble shifting down to 1st gear when its moving at around 5-20km/hr (doesn't feel smooth, requires more effort). Friend once said it should only be used if car is stationary...

4. During downshift I'd rev the engine up to, say, ~3k RPM before releasing the clutch, however, at slow speeds (3rd -> 2nd) it feels smooth enough and sometimes I just don't bother revving it - is this bad for the drivetrain even at slow speeds?

Thanks in advance.
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Wed, 28 July 2004 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. depends on car but you should be able to feel when is good. So really whatever feels right for you.

2. not always. If the engine is labouring (too low revs for a given situation) that is not good for the engine. It will shudder a bit if it is way too low.

3. I always thought you shouldn't put it into first until you are going really slowly. In older cars you couldn't put it into first until you were stopped but that wouldn't be the case with your car.

4. Shouldn't be. I don't blip the throttle every time I down shift and haven't had any adverse affects.

later
Chris
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u watch too many 'drift' videos.

Mr.Whippy
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this before or after you battled the redsuns on the downhill?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shifting at 11k rpm is most economical... i swear..
sorry... haha
you guys are so harsh Razz
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as you approach a corner, downshift from say 4th into neutral, then with your right foot covering the brake as you slow for entry to the corner, take your left foot off the clutch pedal, and move it over to the throttle pedal, give it a blip, then quickly uncross your legs back to engage 3rd gear. try not to move your right foot off the brake as this can upset the balance of the car.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 12:07

take your left foot off the clutch pedal, and move it over to the throttle pedal, give it a blip, then quickly uncross your legs back to engage 3rd gear. try not to move your right foot off the brake as this can upset the balance of the car.

You aren't serious about this bit are you, you'd just heel-toe it??? Right????

And I downshift into 1st some times. I need to rev it pretty high to match the G'box shaft speed (around 4-5k when im doing about 30 kays).
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 12:18

ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 12:07

take your left foot off the clutch pedal, and move it over to the throttle pedal, give it a blip, then quickly uncross your legs back to engage 3rd gear. try not to move your right foot off the brake as this can upset the balance of the car.

You aren't serious about this bit are you, you'd just heel-toe it??? Right????

And I downshift into 1st some times. I need to rev it pretty high to match the G'box shaft speed (around 4-5k when im doing about 30 kays).

Obviouosly you aren't very skilled....... Razz

Why would you be shifting back into first unless you were pulling a handbrake turn or drifting a tight track or corner?
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh when I pull into my driveway... Rolling Eyes
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 12:26

Hmmmmm...... Confused
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 12:28

Benjamin wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 12:26

Hmmmmm...... Confused

lol
I do downshift when I go through galston gorge. I don't drift.
But I do like the feeling of powering uphill in first from a near standstill. I don't go quick enough around the hairpins to be in second. Maybe one day I will learn...
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah, those hairpins require first sometimes... Unless you wanna hit a big rock wall or have a shiteload of low-down torque. hehehe
letmedrift
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_ra40: I read somewhere that it was important to rev it when downshifting - drift videos?? Not yet, mate, not yet Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess the main reason for matching revs when downshifting would be to stop compression lock, and therefore keeping the car stable and straight when entering a corner.
letmedrift
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK finally found it - this is the site I read waaay before I drove manual: http://www.nerocam.com/ManTrans.asp

ae86slut: are you saying that keeping the car stable and straight while driving in a straight line isn't an important reason for matching revs?
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Thu, 29 July 2004 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most fuel efficient way to drive is to shift as early as possible and sit in as high a gear as possible
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Fri, 30 July 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intensevil wrote on Fri, 30 July 2004 01:08

most fuel efficient way to drive is to shift as early as possible and sit in as high a gear as possible

*Without labouring or pinging.

I rev match when downshifting all the time. Mainly 'cuz I'm a Takumi wannabe. Razz Heel-toe, heel-toe. Sometimes I have downshift to first, as my car rolls a hell of a lot around corners and it's surprisingly easy to understeer the damned thing if I enter a little too fast. And what with it's total lack of torque what so ever I have to rev to get it moving in the kinda way I want it to. So yeah, it just takes practice to match the box up to the engine between changes, especially when going from second to first.

Oh yeah I drive a 1992 CB Lancer with worn shocks and an old tired bitsamissing engine.

Okay, now start flaming me for driving a shit car like I'm racing. *puts on flame suit* Laughing
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Fri, 30 July 2004 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 30 July 2004 13:58

I rev match when downshifting all the time. Mainly 'cuz I'm a Takumi wannabe. Razz Heel-toe, heel-toe. Sometimes I have downshift to first, as my car rolls a hell of a lot around corners and it's surprisingly easy to understeer the damned thing if I enter a little too fast. And what with it's total lack of torque what so ever I have to rev to get it moving in the kinda way I want it to. So yeah, it just takes practice to match the box up to the engine between changes, especially when going from second to first.

Oh yeah I drive a 1992 CB Lancer with worn shocks and an old tired bitsamissing engine.

Okay, now start flaming me for driving a shit car like I'm racing. *puts on flame suit* Laughing

Tis true, he dose heel-toe, poor abused cb lancer...
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Fri, 30 July 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
letmedrift wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 23:53

ae86slut: are you saying that keeping the car stable and straight while driving in a straight line isn't an important reason for matching revs?

Ummm...... No, but unless you are trying to be Fangio on the street, the only time you are going to be trying to slow down in a real hurry hence NEEDING to heel-toe is when entering a corner on a racetrack. Why would you be shifting down so quick that you needed to heel-toe while stopping in a straight line.....Unless it is an emergency braking maneuvre. Even so, the car will only squirm a little bit if you are keeping the wheels straight.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Fri, 30 July 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heel toeing on the street is pointless, the whole point is so that u can gear down while retaining a fair amount of speed that u held in the previous gear, ie to keep the engine in the power band
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Fri, 30 July 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TokenBlackGuy wrote on Fri, 30 July 2004 14:41

Tis true, he dose heel-toe, poor abused cb lancer...

The only abusing he does of that thing is verbal..
letmedrift
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Fri, 30 July 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about just protecting the clutch? Anyone checked out the linked I posted? It indicates that engine speed matching should be done all time to prevent clutch wear.

And no, I don't brake all the time to downshift.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Sat, 31 July 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are always going to get clutch wear no matter what you do. When you start from a standstill you have to slip it a little bit *hey presto* Clutch Wear!!
Id be more worried about syncros wearing out than a clutch plate.
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Sun, 01 August 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

It's okay, my Corona cops a hiding. Or maybe we both suck.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Mon, 02 August 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe
i am teh suck at gear shifting when it comes to launching in drags
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Mon, 02 August 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know shit when it comes to gearboxes but wouldnt for example: 4th>neutral>rev>3rd be better for your gearbox than staright shifting, syncros and all?
i thought a syncro made the gearbox cog match the engine speed before locking it in, is that right?
cause in that case double clutching should save your syncros?
and yeah the less clutch wear the better? sure its going to slip but why slip it more than you have to?
i confess to double clutching and heel toeing on the street, mainly for practice but if feels heaps smoother than normal shifting! so you must be taking load of somewhere!
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Mon, 02 August 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to say this, but if you are that worried about wearing the clutch, go for an auto. or alternatively, you can use the clutch to take off and to stop only(works on a road-ranger) Very Happy .As Benjamin said, you are always going to get some wear. As long as you dont "ride" the clutch, drive to what feels comfortable.

my 2c

Cheers

Jeff
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Mon, 02 August 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ha ha ha. Poor Lancer. Yeah I can't help but heel toe now. It's kinda automatic. I usualy do it as I come into corners just to let it slide into gear nicely, and power around the corner. I drop from cruse in 5th to cornering gear in 2nd or 3rd. If I don't heel toe it's realy jerky getting into gear and just doesn't feel right.
Andres
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: Noob questions: gear shifting Mon, 02 August 2004 13:59 Go to previous message
Nothing wrong with a bit of heel-toe gearchanges. Its a bit of fun, and with practice makes the changes just that bit nicer! Everyone on here is a car enthusiest so why not drive with a bit of flair and passion?! You old stodgy dudes should trade your cars in for a cream 80s volvo ith a nice hat in the back window! hahahaha

Good-on-ya "letmedrift" for asking questions, its the only way you'll learn (and with a practice).

PS The car i learnt to drive in didn't have synchro on first and was on the way out in second, so heal toeing (or at least double clutching) was near mandatory, and made me a better driver for it!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gold sprinter FS from hot4s
Next Topic:160kw 4AGZE?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 03:31:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065000057220459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.