Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » 15 year import rule...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
15 year import rule... Thu, 29 July 2004 11:53 Go to next message
What is it and what is going to change?

I have heard so many people saying different things on this topic. Confused

The reason I am asking is because i would really like a Chaser (JZX81) and next year they will be 15yrs old. What does this mean? Is the rule going to still be around? Enlighten me, please. Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Thu, 29 July 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is my understanding that, although nothing is set in concrete, they will be changing it in some way. this may even include making the new rule to 25 or 30yo cars, instead of 15yo. Try prestigemotorsport.com.au and look in there "industry update" section for a detailed list of information
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Thu, 29 July 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, just a note. If you cant find what your looking. Ring DOTARS. It is always suggested that you do so just to make sure it is eligible. If they do change the rule, you could still import one under SEVS. which would require compliance.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jeff
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Thu, 29 July 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just in-case you can't be fragged. This is the latest update from the site

Please note that the following statement was recently added to the DOTARS website. Obviously changes to the 15 year rule are still under consideration, but it is just taking them a little time to work out how best to tackle it. When / what changes may occur are up to DOTARS, however we expect from their statement that they intend to make changes to at least prevent 1990 and newer models from being imported under this rule in the future. What this means of course is an announcement on a change to this rule sometime in the next 6 months. It also seems to indicate by default that 1989 models should be considered OK for the rest of this year.

If you want to have some impact on the process and to have a chance at maintaining the rule long enough to enjoy a large range of 1990+ models, you should make your views known to DOTARS and the relevant politicians now. With a solid response, this may be enough to postpone or moderate any intended changes. Guidance on how you can go about this can be found at the following link:

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/?/au/news/def ault.asp?mode=Industry+News

ALERT - IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES 15 OR MORE YEARS OLD

The Government is currently considering the responses to the discussion paper on the Importation of Vehicles 15 or More Years Old and the options outlined in the paper.

Prospective importers should be aware that there may be changes to the current regulations. You should not assume that vehicles manufactured in 1990 will be allowed to be imported should the regulations be changed.

Cheers

Jeff
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 15 year import rule... Thu, 29 July 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stumpy wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 23:28

Just in-case you can't be fragged.

How did you know? Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the info. Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 15 year import rule... Fri, 30 July 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is absolute fuckin bullshit!

changing the 15yo rule to 25-30yo rule makes me furious, It makes no sense whatsoever except to deter ppl importing cars at all. I mean cars of that age will be defected off australian roads striaght away unless these old imported cars are in excellent nick (not many would be!)
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: 15 year import rule... Fri, 30 July 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stupid greedy goverment! No No No

who wants to protest??
crayz legz
Regular

January 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Fri, 30 July 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TokenBlackGuy wrote on Fri, 30 July 2004 18:41

Stupid greedy goverment! No No No

who wants to protest??

I do!

Why is it bad for it to go from 15 yrs to 25-30?

[Updated on: Fri, 30 July 2004 09:08]

TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: 15 year import rule... Fri, 30 July 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
name 5 cars that are 30yrs old in japan, do it off the top of your head.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Fri, 30 July 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if it goes to 25 that means you cant inport a car less than 25yrs old, ie you would be importing a 1979- celica legally and a 1980+ celica illegally if at all
crayz legz
Regular

January 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Fri, 30 July 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is shyt!!
so u cant go an import a r34 or an s15! y would they do such a thing, either way tha gov get $, they probably get mo from imported cars
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Fri, 30 July 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well actually i think they make less... for example if you buy an r34 here it would cost $40k all taxes included, etc, etc... but if you import it it cost say $25k to buy and ship and then add tax and it ends up costing $35k

therefore there if $5k lost... $3k would be for nissan and $2k for gov

KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE HYPOTHETICAL NUMBERS AND PRICES but you get the idea. i dont think it is government but rather manufacturers cause they are the ones losing more money
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Fri, 30 July 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to reiterate. The rules have not changed as yet and they will probably announce something early next year. The 25-30yo rule is just one of the possibilities, it may not change at all(fingers crossed).And you would still be able to import the models you can now under the 15yo rule, just you would have to get a compliance plate. I have based most of my information received of the prestige website. If you want to read all of the updates in regards to the 15yo rule, either go to the prestigemotorsport.com.au website and look in the 'Industry Update" section, or contact DOTARS. They will definitely have the latest on what is happening.
CHEERS

jeff Cool
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Fri, 30 July 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot to add Razz . Maybe there is someone on this site will be able to explain it more thoroughly. Someone who imports cars for a living?

Cheers

Jeff
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 15 year import rule... Fri, 30 July 2004 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be careful when reading articles on Prestigemotorsport. Remember, they are a business and they will tell you anything so that you use them as the middle man.

Do some research thru dotars and your local Customs office. Email heaps and ask questions.

When you are confident find an trustworthy exporter and Go for it! Everything will fall into place! Its easy and a good learning experience! You will save a lot of money!

I got my aw11 sc on the road for around 4000 cheaper then they are selling in sydney. *grins*
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 15 year import rule... Mon, 02 August 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got my doubts about importers like Prestige - I mean, if you go on the website and check out the flow chart it reads;
1. You pay us $1100.
2. You find a car through us or by yourself.
3. We arrange for someone to buy the car and ship it back, but you pay for all of that seperately.
4. You organise and pay for everything else to do with bringing the car into Australia and Rego-ing it.

So WTF is the $1100 "service fee" for??? Rolling Eyes . To get someone to buy a car in Japan and that's all? It's no wonder guys like John Verban are cutting them to shreds on price etc, and still making money...
SUPRA MAN
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 15 year import rule... Mon, 02 August 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Mon, 02 August 2004 10:20

I've got my doubts about importers like Prestige - I mean, if you go on the website and check out the flow chart it reads;
1. You pay us $1100.
2. You find a car through us or by yourself.
3. We arrange for someone to buy the car and ship it back, but you pay for all of that seperately.
4. You organise and pay for everything else to do with bringing the car into Australia and Rego-ing it.

So WTF is the $1100 "service fee" for??? Rolling Eyes . To get someone to buy a car in Japan and that's all? It's no wonder guys like John Verban are cutting them to shreds on price etc, and still making money...

If you had any idea, instead of just talking out of your ass, then maybe then you would understand.
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Mon, 02 August 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lumpy, Have you actually gone through and read everything that Geoff has to say in regards to importing? I think not!! Rolling Eyes I am very happy to pay $1100 dollars to make sure that the buyer's have a good reputation, that most of the organizing is done by Geoff, I dont have to ring Japan direct, I have as much time to choose the vehicle I want so I am not under pressure to buy the first thing that comes along. You get the idea yet? And if Geoff can find the car I am after, I will be refunded 90% of the service fee.Seems pretty fair to me. I mean, You get what you pay for.

Cheers

Jeff
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Mon, 02 August 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, just a quick thought, Lumpy, before you reply to this thread, Can I suggest you have a Good read of not only Presigemotorsport's site but a few other importer's sites as well. It may help you understand.

Cheers

Jeff
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: 15 year import rule... Thu, 05 August 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 post previous it should have said "cant find", sorry.
Also, just a quick update that I received today via e-mail

Date Added 4/8/2004

The latest interesting development to note is that the previous Minister for Transport and Regional Services, the Hon. John Anderson MP was recently moved to another portfolio and was replaced with the Hon. Jim Lloyd MP.

This is important because before he moved on John Anderson had indicated a decision on the future of the 15 Year Rule by the end of July 2004. Obviously this is now past. What the new Minister intends to do and his timeframe for doing it are unknown.

However, with an election in the air it would seem to be very worthwhile to make the new Minister aware of the issue, as he is likely to be the one making the decision. It would be a tragedy for all enthusiasts if he were to do so without realizing the high level of public interest in retaining the 15 Year Rule as it is.

To maintain the rule long enough to enjoy a large range of 1990+ models, you should make your views known to the new Minister as soon as possible. There has never been a better chance to either postpone or moderate any intended changes. For the best impact, contact with the Minister should be meaningful and concise based on solid arguments and fact. If you need guidance on what to write or say, please read the information on this topic at:

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/?/au/news/def ault.asp?mode=Industry+News

You can also download a thorough discussion paper on this topic from:

http://www.r34skyline.com/politics/our_submission/ r34skyline_com_15year_submission.pdf

Contact details for the Hon. Jim Lloyd MP are:

Email
j.lloyd.mp@aph.gov.au

Parliament House Contact
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600

So my final piece of advise is that if you are thinking of importing a vehicle under the 15yo rule then research as much information as possible and talk to people that have done so. you may find it is not for you.

Cheers

Jeff
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 15 year import rule... Thu, 05 August 2004 12:33 Go to previous message
I would be perfectly happy to import 15+ year old cars under SEVS, except for two reasons (and correct me if I misenterprited them):

1. There are a limit to the number of imports. You can't just say "Oh I want that Silvia, it costs a bit, but lets get it." No, if there have been too many Silvia's imported, bam, you have to wait till next year.

2. You can't import cars that where sold here such as an EVO III.

I would be more than happy to pay a bit more to get my car complied to safety regulations.

It's funny how Govorments are all "ra ra, it's so fantastic!" about globalisation and free trade agreements, untill the big companies start getting screwed by the little man.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SW20 TRD Parts...
Next Topic:4age oil dip stick??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 00:44:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007404088973999 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.