Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » My first car - RA28 - take a look!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
spectre
Regular

July 2004
icon10.gif  My first car - RA28 - take a look! Sat, 24 July 2004 10:16 Go to next message
I just brought my first car... a RA28 - the mini mustang Very Happy Engine is great (18R-C), new extractors, brakes and webber carby, new tires and the clutch has been replaced. CD player, 2 amps, and a pair of subs in the back. Speakers in the doors are not hooked up but im gonna get those replaced anyway.

Rust near the seals under the doors but nothing major, a bit of rust under the front window sill, and a bit in the front of the bonnet, but this was to be expected with a 30 year old car! Whether i get this bogged or replaced with metal will be a hard decision...

Things on my to do list:
- Get interior retrimmed in black vinle, with new charcoal carpets
- Race pedals and chrome gear knob
- Re-spray (depending on the cost of rust removal etc so this is a maybe)
- New 16" mags with 225's all round
- New exhaust from extractors back
- Replace mirrors as the ones on their now are useless...

Paintjobs not beautiful but its not crap Cool

backseats
http://img23.exs.cx/img23/9146/backseat.jpg

interior
http://img23.exs.cx/img23/8075/drivers.jpg

engine
http://img23.exs.cx/img23/3292/engine.jpg

front
http://img22.exs.cx/img22/8202/front8.jpg

side
http://img23.exs.cx/img23/2622/side4.jpg

back
http://img23.exs.cx/img23/8729/subs1.jpg

Ahh what a car Surprised

[Updated on: Sat, 24 July 2004 11:24]

Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: My first car - RA28 - take a look! Sat, 24 July 2004 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice dude...thinking of replacing the engine? get a nice 7M-GTE or 2JZGTE Razz

How much did you end up paying if you dont mind me asking?
spectre
Regular

July 2004
Re: My first car - RA28 - take a look! Sun, 25 July 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The guy put it in the quokka for 3500, but after looking at it (i dont think he had ever cleaned it or washed it the whole time he had it), and the lil bits of rust, i managed to get it for $2200. The first thing i did when i got home was rip out the seat covers in the back seat (resulting in alot of sand, some weird brown dust, and lots of dog hair being found) and vacumed the whole thing out. Looks nicer inside now...

Im not sure about the engine, it runs fine and i got it fully checked out by a mechanic... I might later on, but at the moment im just a student and i dont want an engine thats going to burn through fuel... not yet anyway! Also any idea what 18R-U is? heres a pic of the sticker on the engine:

http://img13.exs.cx/img13/3341/DSCN0982.jpg

I gather then its not an 18R-C? I didnt think there was an 8-U?

How much would a 7M-GTE or 2JZGTE cost? And would they need much moddification to install?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My first car - RA28 - take a look! Sun, 25 July 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Sun, 25 July 2004 00:49

Very nice dude...thinking of replacing the engine? get a nice 7M-GTE or 2JZGTE Razz

what the hell drugs are u on? this is a stupid suggestion.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My first car - RA28 - take a look! Sun, 25 July 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Welcome aboard. Nice car, man.

I strongly suggest you metal-fill the rust area and DO NOT USE bog. Bog falls out, cracks, and when you wish to sell it, someone like me will run a magnet over it and the first sign of bog I'll walk away.

If you want this car as a keeper (which you should do 'cos RA28s are getting harder to find and look great), then do it properly and keep the bog away from it.

Assuming the engine and mechanicals are okay, do the body work first. You can always fix/replace mechanicals, but if the body is stuffed and rusted, then you got major problems that are much harder to fix.

seeyuzz
river

spectre
Regular

July 2004
Re: My first car - RA28 - take a look! Sun, 25 July 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Sun, 25 July 2004 13:30

dimmy77_03 wrote on Sun, 25 July 2004 00:49

what the hell drugs are u on? this is a stupid suggestion.

I have read a few posts on the RA28's and i thought an 18R-G was a good / powerfull engine?

Im planning on keeping the car for a while, and the mechanincs are good, just need to get the radiator flushed in the summer. The cars gonna be bog free, so all the rust is going to be replaced with new metal, the car taken down to bair metal, then dipped with rust preventer, then resprayed.. (thats when i save up for it), i was orriginally thinking gun metal grey, but im starting to fall for the yellow...

BTW, i got two lil buttons located beneath the gear stick, dont have a clue what they do, any ideas?
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: My first car - RA28 - take a look! Mon, 26 July 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double post.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 July 2004 08:19]

cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: My first car - RA28 - take a look! Mon, 26 July 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea very nice, but dont go grey, yellow is the goods!

(oh and acording to the experts its the safest colour Cool )
Ra28-451
Regular

October 2003

Re: My first car - RA28 - take a look! Fri, 30 July 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice car spectre!

a 2jz or a 7m would proably cost around 2.0-2.5G for a half cut! but if u want to be legal u will probably have to change brakes and suspension! depends what ure states laws are!

[Updated on: Fri, 30 July 2004 12:49]

spectre
Regular

July 2004
Re: My first car - RA28 - take a look! Fri, 30 July 2004 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If i was going to upgrade the engine id more than likely get an 18R-G, that way i dont have to change anything, and it bolts straight on.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My first car - RA28 - take a look! Sat, 31 July 2004 07:30 Go to previous message
Hi,

spectre wrote on Sat, 31 July 2004 00:46

If i was going to upgrade the engine id more than likely get an 18R-G, that way i dont have to change anything, and it bolts straight on.

Good choice! It's a delightful and robust engine and will give you good performance.

seeyuzz
river
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:DeViL RoLlA's St162 ? >>Now With Rarest Part Know To Toyota<<
Next Topic:W3I AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 03:47:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055041313171387 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.