Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase Sat, 31 July 2004 16:29 Go to next message
Hi guys

AE86 / KE70 / similar cars

I would like to ask those who have installed RCA with track increase, or some times known as built-in negative camber about matching it with the rear.

Well, my car had ideal front track and rear track. Nearly 100% same. Since the upgrade to 195/50R15 from the 175/70R13 there was no desire to increase the track.

However, recently I just acquired a "proper" RCA and it had built-in negative camber by means of shifting the strut position outwards by a certain amount. In this case 30 mm.

The replacement of this new RCA over the old one gave quieter ride, firmer feel and control, overall safer and more confident. All good ............... but ............. the track increased so much that the tyres are scratching the fender tops, inner guards right on the foot etc.

Whacking them fenders solved the problems, but the rear track is so much smaller that the car tends to oversteer and it doesn't look nice at all having the front so much wider than the rear.

For those who is using RCA with 30mm or 40mm track increase, what do you do / did to solve the oversteering problem as well as looks?

many thanks in advance.
  Send a private message to this user    
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase Sat, 31 July 2004 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More track in the front is almost always a better thing, but I'm concerned as to what effect it would have on the scrub radius ....
I'd be more tempted to lengthen the lower control arms and keep using 'straight' RCA's.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase Sat, 31 July 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My increase in front track is a result of changing to a disc-over-hat setup on the rear for disc brakes.
Im mainly increasing front track in order to stop understeer when the rear track is increased.
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase Sun, 01 August 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply.... unfortunately whats done done Sad

Good and bad, I consider it a well learning lesson. This issue now forces me to look at things in a very different perspective now....

During this I also added a 7 mm spacer on the rear on each side. They help to reduce the oversteer, I cannot imagine without them...

After many days driving with a little push. Yes with wider track are much better... now I feel strongly to match the rear tracks to reduce the oversteer...

May be it is good oversteer, most probably I don't have the skill levels..... let's see what times will tell....

Hope to bring the car into track with you and get some advice from you.
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase Sun, 01 August 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi takai

noted - so, looks like I'm not the only one paying attention to these details ......
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase Sun, 01 August 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, its nice having a good setup.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase Mon, 02 August 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe try running slightly softer springs in the rear, or even just try a bit of fiddling with the tyre pressures to get the rear to stick more.

Then there is the swaybars to adjust as well.

As you have discovered, suspension is all about compromise, and there is a large knock on effect from some simple changes

Cheers

Michael B
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase Mon, 02 August 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i have a substantial track increase in the front due to running longer control arms spacers and decent offset wheels. I find the turn in incredible and the control while drifing even better. I run large track at the rear also to make it even more balanced and controlable.

If you look at jap ae86's set up for drift opr even circut, they max out the gaurs front and rear with rim/tyre and therefore also maxing out the track
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase Wed, 04 August 2004 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yesterday changed tyres to dunlop FM901 195/50R15 82v $RM$ 165 each

Tooked the opporunity to changed the rear lugs to long ones so that I can use 2 7mm+ spacer on each side to match the rear tracks as close to the front as possible.

When done - front and rear is nearly same - difficult to say which is more or less Smile

Strange - only 15 mm rear spacing and equals the front. I thought my front was increased by 30 mm on each side. May be I was wrong.

Anyway, after matching the tracks - there is still oversteer ..... completely different from the previous 75% neutral 25% over

Now it's around 50% neutral 50% over

The body roll has reduced. This is probably thanks to reducing the overall height by changing the previous 60 series back down to 50.

The matching of the tracks - also seems to have help balanced the front and rear stabilizer bars to work in unison....

Strange ....... if there's such thing / assumptions .... ???

Also set front camber -2.2 castor +0.5 toe 0

Rear camber is screwed -0.1 left +0.2 right - can be seen by the naked eyes Sad - left toe in a little, no toe in at right.

The tyres are - soft - running on 41 psi hot and feels dam comfortable on 4.4 kg/mm front & 3.3 kg/mm rear on TiTAN coilovers.

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 - Roll Center Adjusters with 30 mm track increase Wed, 04 August 2004 22:00 Go to previous message
lower the tyre press to 32 psi
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:does this sound like a f%#ed turbo?
Next Topic:earthing kits
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:18:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039079189300537 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.