Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Indepedent rear end sprinter?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pewee
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sat, 31 July 2004 05:51 Go to next message
i was just wondering if any one has ever seen an indepedent rear end sprinter conversion b4 and if so where?

Buying a sprinter just seeing whats possible!
  Send a private message to this user    
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sat, 31 July 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use a top link of a tractor its the buisnes
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sat, 31 July 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a place in japan that sells IRS setups for AE86. They look amazing, engineering looks tops. But for $6000 you'd want them to be Smile
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sat, 31 July 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is also a conversion kit that uses a s13 irs. Not cheap also

The question is why bother when the ae86 handles well and the time and money spent on converting it to irs could be used to fine tune the handling of the solid axle.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sat, 31 July 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Sat, 31 July 2004 22:05

There is also a conversion kit that uses a s13 irs. Not cheap also

The question is why bother when the ae86 handles well and the time and money spent on converting it to irs could be used to fine tune the handling of the solid axle.

I agree 100%.

Cheers

Steve
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sat, 31 July 2004 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRS can offer a lot of benifits though. One day i'll convert the RA28 to IRS, but thats a long way down the track.

Hey do you have any more info on the S13 IRS conversion?
Pewee
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sun, 01 August 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool the main reason i was looking as i would like to run full coilovers in the car and would like the tuneability of being abble to change the rear end geometry. adn would also like something a little bit different from the norm.

does anyone have any links for some pics on these setups.

if i can get it sorted i can hopefully help you guys out to do it cheaply and see how much difference it actually makes??

as well i have a good friend who can get me nissan import parts as cheap as chips so i would like to run an r200 diff out of a skyline as there unbreakable and have many different ratio options.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sun, 01 August 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pewee wrote on Sun, 01 August 2004 11:58

if i can get it sorted i can hopefully help you guys out to do it cheaply and see how much difference it actually makes??

If you're not doing the work yourself, then you better have the money for it. It will probably cost more than the price you pay for the car itself - hence why there isn't any in Australia with such a setup ATM.

I know of at least 3 AE86's in Japan - most use S13 rears and two of which are in D1 Grand Prix competition.

If you want a picture, pick up the August issue of BM magazine from Kinokuniya bookstore and you will find one on the inside.

If you want to get one, get in touch with Rhett who's in Japan ATM and was advertising 2nd hand parts from HOTSTAFF. He will be able to pick up an IRS for an 86 from them easy but you will probably need $6k for the parts alone, not factoring in postage + customs duty + GST.

I know where my money will be put ... and certainly not into IRS ...
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sun, 01 August 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where is Rex, i think he'll have something to say. Evil or Very Mad
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sun, 01 August 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys

I found an IRS for Corona class - code TT141

I'm sure the track width fits Corona and it's brothers real well, except the 4 chassis mounting points are new to me. I'll post pictures next week.

Going really cheap. RM 800 = AUS 200+ only
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sun, 01 August 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am in the middle of putting an IRS into my Starlet. Do a search for my posts and you will find pics and details and pics. It is NOT an easy swap and generally NOT worthwhile.

Callum
Pewee
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sun, 01 August 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i'm planning on doing it all myself.
i'm a mechanic by trade and pretty handy with a grinder and a welder.

i would just like to see what other people have done to see how they did and where to start.

I also would like the satisfication of knowing i did myself .

i don't think it will be too expensive if i do it myself but just dont want to stuff it up.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Sun, 01 August 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmm sexy
Pewee
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Tue, 03 August 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that looks really nice.
thanx for that.

it doesn't look that bad or that much work to make that.

it's nice to see one to get a rough idea where to start

thanks guys for your help.

if you guys find any more pics please send em this way cheers.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Wed, 04 August 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe not that much work to make (if you have access to the tools), but remember that all the mounting points on he body are new, and will need to be reinforced to take the loads. if you want it all adjustable (and legal) you have a battle ahead of you.

while it is possible, it's a 10/10ths thing. and they always cost that little bit extra Wink

Cya, Stewart
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Wed, 04 August 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pewee wrote on Tue, 03 August 2004 20:24

it doesn't look that bad or that much work to make that.

lol Very Happy

Doesn't look like much work but you could imagine the engineering involved? What looks easy is not always easy.

If your looking to do this yourself then find out abit about the engineering involved in it first....

Like people have said, and IMHO your better off tuning what you have got and if you want a car with IRS, buy a car that came out with IRS, and spend the extra dough upgrading that.
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Wed, 04 August 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm... nobody has mentioned suspenion geometry yet.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Wed, 04 August 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRS would be ultra nice
but the N2 and GroupA ae86's dont run IRS and they do tsukuba laps pretty quick
Pewee
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Wed, 04 August 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh it's definitly possible to get the solid rear end sorted really well, its just i wanted to try something different and hopefully learn a whole heap the setup side of it.

I have got friends i'm going to consult about geometry setup and basic angles but from what iv'e heard it alters drasticly from application to application. so i guess it's whole heap of trial and error.

Thats the way i'm hoping to learn about it the mistakes often teach you more than the successes.

Thanks Nathan
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Wed, 04 August 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best plan is to find a car with a setup that suits your needs and then adapt the whole floor section into your car. This ensures your mounting points are up to the job, and if your lucky the wheelbase and track should match up.. Have a look at my pics in the link below -
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=27918&rid=129&S=3ba0cd0e262be5a87203b5ac 808d8659&pl_view=&start=0#msg_242361
For me the IRS swap is working out cheaper than getting an appropriate live axle setup.

Callum

Pewee
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Wed, 04 August 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude i checked out the first links you posted and i didn't realise till i looked at this link how over the top you went!!

dude that showed some heart to cut out thew whole rear floor pan with thoughts of welding in one out of another car completely.

hats off to you my friend, how is it coming along now?
i'm completely inthrawled how this super tuff little starlet in callum's garage is going to finish.

have you got any other super crazy ideas your going to try with an angle grinder? haha

Nathan
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Wed, 04 August 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone considered MX5 IRS? its close to the right width
(i think) and everyone know how well MX5's handle.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Indepedent rear end sprinter? Thu, 05 August 2004 00:27 Go to previous message
Pewee wrote on Wed, 04 August 2004 23:53

dude i hats off to you my friend, how is it coming along now?
i'm completely inthrawled how this super tuff little starlet in callum's garage is going to finish.

Nathan

That is pretty much all the cutting done, its a shame I was out of the country so didn't get as many progress shots when the firewall was done. Project is on hold at the moment while I sell my house and build a garage at the new place. Just need to get the rear end fully welded and then seam weld the whole car. Then the full cage goes in and I can start putting it back together.

Callum
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Stock 2T to 2TG: Possible?
Next Topic:5M-E stalling
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:53:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063998699188232 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.