Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
icon10.gif  Newbie to the 1JZ Fri, 30 July 2004 09:22 Go to next message
I'm in the late stages of completing my 1JZ twin turbo conversion into MX73 Cressida. And its time that I replaced the engine necessities (oils, spark plugs, timing belts) . I would just like to know what things I should look at replacing and also like to hear what other 1JZ owners are using. I'm mainly wanting to know about what oils and spark plugs work best, but also any general info about the 1JZ engines that I should know. Any part numbers for these parts would be great as well Very Happy Any info would be much appreciated

And if anyone has a Mach 1 or Bovus maximus blow off valve they would like to sell, I might be interested Razz Feel free to recommend any other blow off valves that work well with the 1JZ's.

Cheers

I also have a 2JZ water pump for sale if anyone is interested.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 July 2004 09:28]

Send a private message to this user    
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Fri, 30 July 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use Motul 10W40 Turbolight 4100, Synthetic Oil. I previously tried Mobile 1 5W50, but I beleive it is too thin for this type of engine.

I currently run NGK sparkplugs (roughly $2 each), however the first set of NGK BKR6E-11's (gapped to 0.8mm) were the wrong type and didn't work very well (ran on 4-5 cylinders after a while).

I have been told by a reputable 1JZ mechanic to buy Denso Iridium plugs (IK20 5304), 0.4mm u-groove, tappered cut. I think they are stock plugs too. I have these now and they were $108 for a set all up. Very expensive.

How come you didn't have the 2JZ water pump fitted? I have a 2JZ-GTE water pump on mine and it works great.

When you do your plugs check that there is no oil in the valley. If there is you may need to change your cam seal.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Fri, 30 July 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didnt use the 2JZ pump because I didnt have the housing for it, and the 5MGE water pump fits right in Very Happy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sat, 31 July 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been using NGK BKR6-ES spark plugs gapped to .8mm and have had no problems with spark whatsoever.

I have used quite a few oils so far as well but it hasn't been running long enough for me see any differences if any they made Rolling Eyes Have used 10w30, 5w40 Repsol and Penrite HPR40 I think it was. (much thicker)

I have changed the timing belt but I don't know the part number sorry. I would ring Penrith Toyota as they seem to know a bit about the import toyotas and parts for them.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sat, 31 July 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, not sure what plugs im using at the moment.. but they seem to be working
as for engine oil.. im using hpr60.. its 15w60 and seems to be working alright
as for BOV's.. they already have 2 BOV's on the car.. why replace them?
they work well enough
you will enjoy the engine Smile
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sat, 31 July 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what sort of BOV's are on them? I wanted to get the Mach1 for the sound lol, and a bit of an upgrade from the stock BOV's
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sat, 31 July 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Sat, 31 July 2004 14:44

what sort of BOV's are on them? I wanted to get the Mach1 for the sound lol, and a bit of an upgrade from the stock BOV's

why would they be an upgrade from the stock ones.. do u know what BOV's do?
if ur on stock turbo's the BOV's are fine. dont start leaking until 15 to 16 psi..
u can still hear them outside the car if thats what your worried about
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sat, 31 July 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is only one blow off valve standard on a 1JZ. BOV not BOV's. It works fine, and you can hear it when you are on boost anyway, it's not extremely loud, but audible.

You have to make sure it's connected correctly and has a one one valve on it. I noticed when I'm driving the car hard the small metal pipe blows off the back of the BOV sometimes, then the BOV stops working until you put it back on.

I even have a Blitz blow off valve I don't use because the standard one is legal and works great.

5MGE fits? learn something new everyday! Same part number?

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sat, 31 July 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danish wrote on Sat, 31 July 2004 16:04

There is only one blow off valve standard on a 1JZ. BOV not BOV's. It works fine, and you can hear it when you are on boost anyway, it's not extremely loud, but audible.

You have to make sure it's connected correctly and has a one one valve on it. I noticed when I'm driving the car hard the small metal pipe blows off the back of the BOV sometimes, then the BOV stops working until you put it back on.

I even have a Blitz blow off valve I don't use because the standard one is legal and works great.

5MGE fits? learn something new everyday! Same part number?

mines never blown off as you say
and i thought there were 2 .. oh well Smile
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sun, 01 August 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yeh I know what BOV's do lol, im not a total newbie, Im only a newbie to what sort of spark plugs and oils the 1JZ works best with Razz WHen we have been testing my car Iv been getting the "intercooler flutter", I borrowed my friends Mach1 and that seemed to fix it, I know theres been alot of debates about this fluttering noise and that it might not be caused by BOV's, but replacing the stock BOV did fix my problem.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sun, 01 August 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use to use an old HKS SSQ BOV but that was tragically destroyed Sad long story.....
I should update my profile actually Confused
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sun, 01 August 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought said flutter was a noise created by no bov's
are u sure ur bov's are definately working
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sun, 01 August 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah I think it can happen with working BOV's, there was a thread on here that discussed the issue heaps, I have tried the Turbosmart Veeport BOV and that makes the flutter as well... Confused
But yeh I would defnately like to switch to a Mach 1 or a new HKS SSQ.
onemxracer
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Newbie to the 1JZ Sun, 01 August 2004 09:09 Go to previous message
the flutter noise happens to mine after turbo spools up then back off gentle.. bovs work off vacumm. so if you back off without creating vacumm the turbo will flutter
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20R, 21R and 22R
Next Topic:Dampening Fluid in AE86 Shocks
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 07:21:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.032149076461792 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.