Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » anybody used an 'electric' supercharger?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
anybody used an 'electric' supercharger? Mon, 02 August 2004 08:48 Go to next message
do they work very well? do they work at a constant speed or does it vary through the rpm through some kind of sensor or what??
  Send a private message to this user    
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: anybody used an 'electric' supercharger? Tue, 03 August 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I personally think any electric super/turbocharger is total crap and wouldn't work.

This is based on the size of the things. The maths isn't too hard... but I still have never done it. Work out the mass flow rate of air into the engine and then the energy needed to compress each kg of air to (lets say) 7psi above atmospheric then multiply them together. This is the power the electric charger must supply, and it is a big number.

I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that it is tens of kilowatts.

Then look at the pissy little motors powering the things off tiny 12V wires and see that there is no way that device can supply the needed power.

Therefore they are total rubbish.

Hen

I will probably get around to doing the maths one day when I am really bored.
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: anybody used an 'electric' supercharger? Wed, 04 August 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your talking about the roots type electric blower that someone posted a link not so long ago, im sure it would work very well asuming you have enuf room for all the extra batteries and support systems for it. if i read correctly the designer was working on a boost controller for it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anybody used an 'electric' supercharger? Wed, 04 August 2004 00:56 Go to previous message
Yep, the proper (read: expensive) electric superchargers work OK, but keep in mind they're bulky, heavy, are only capable of relatively low boost, and can only be used in short bursts due to their massive power requirements. If you're smart about it you can install a real supercharger for much less than the cost of an electric blower kit, so frankly I can't see the point.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Misc 1GGTE -->RA65 questions (yes, I've already done a searchsearched)
Next Topic:lexus V8
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 10:40:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0034408569335938 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.