Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
scano
Occasional Poster

July 2004
KE55 leaf springs Mon, 02 August 2004 13:27 Go to next message
Hey i have a KE55 with leaf springs on the ass and ive noticed iti to be really bouncy, i put some air in the tyres from 17psi when i bought it to 32psi Mad but its still bouncy, ive never had a car with leafs so im new to it all, i wanna get a really stiff ride, but i want the car lower, so what can i do to improve it, i wanna get king springs but it would only be upfront prolly just LOWs and then monroe gas shocks all round, how do i lower the rear without lowering the height of the diff to the car and ive heard of leafs slipping is there anything like a panard bar that can bolt on to the leafs or diff to prevent slipping and give me a stiff ride? any help would be awesome cheers guys great site
  Send a private message to this user    
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE55 leaf springs Mon, 02 August 2004 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put in some commonwhore rear shocks
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE55 leaf springs Tue, 03 August 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scano wrote on Mon, 02 August 2004 23:27

how do i lower the rear without lowering the height of the diff to the car

ahh. i think you need to have a look at the rear end a bit.

centre of diff is same height as centre of wheels.
lower car = closer body to diff..

a panhard rod or watts linkage can help with axle location.
your bounciness is probably just rooted shocks.

Cya, Stewart
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE55 leaf springs Tue, 03 August 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to lower leaves, you get the top leaf reset. a suspension place needs to do this for you properly. we once put a ke55 leaf in a two ton press, got the car down to the bump stops, and it detensioned back to stock height in about two weeks

to make the leaf pack stiffer, you add leaves. to make it softer, you remove leaves. don't use the wagon slapper bar leaf pack, this is not good for handling. about the best all round setup is either stock, or with one extra 2nd-from-bottom leaf. some of the drift guys in nz are running like 220lb 7 leaf packs

to reduce axle tramp (which i doubt you are getting), you can add spring clamps to the front of the pack (illegal), slapper bars (illegal), add the front half of another top leaf with the eye cut off (probably illegal but easily concealed)

anything more advanced such as panhard bar, watts linkage, kaltracks, etc will need custom fabrication and to be cited by an engineering signatory
steve-O
Regular

February 2004
Re: KE55 leaf springs Tue, 03 August 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my dad told me that he got the leafs on his old cortina flipped upside down so it was heaps lower and it was stiff
dunno how you'd go about doing it i've never played with leafs before
steve
grass hopper racing
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: KE55 leaf springs Tue, 03 August 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One way off lowering a ke55 is to take the springs to a good suspension mob and get them to reverse the mounting eyes on the end of the springs, this stiffens up the car and if you add a half spring to the front half of both springs will help to stop axle tramp .
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE55 leaf springs Tue, 03 August 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flipping a leaf makes the pack softer, as the leaves are working against each other instead of against the weight of the car, but yes it does make your car lower

good suggestion grasshopper, you'll actually find most "leaf lowering kits" are just a top leaf with the eye inverted. again this has to be done by a suspension place

don't use lowering blocks, read my faq for more info
Ramtech
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: KE55 leaf springs Thu, 05 August 2004 03:17 Go to previous message
instead of inverting the eyes on the top leaf- kill two birds with one stone!

get the top leaf turned upside down and reset to the right height. this saves inverting the eyes and you are guarenteed the eys are the right shape/size. when putting the pack back together add an extra leaf 2nd from the bottom like someone else mentioned. this is the cheapest way. i have looked into it.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 August 2004 03:18]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:help finding information
Next Topic:ke30 headlamps
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 12:30:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070469379425049 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.