Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Stroked 3S-GTE!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon4.gif  Stroked 3S-GTE! Tue, 03 August 2004 13:34 Go to next message
Was flicking through a copy of the latest "Speed" mag tonight (August issue, 014) and saw something that caught my eye - a modified Celica GT-Four.

Page 82 reveals that this ST185 (Carlos Sainz edition) has been worked through the roof... now equipped with an ST205 donk which was custom-stroked out to 2.4L! Has a T-58 turbo on it, and pulls something like 269kw at all four paws. Shocked Surprised This is one serious bit of gear, and definitely worth the read if you're looking to work-up a 3S-GTE. Nod

Does anyone know the guy that did the work? His name's Nathan Green (haha, no relation..) and he lives in QLD. Seen the car? Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Tue, 03 August 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thx for the info. I was thinking about stroking mine to a 2.2l or 2.3l, well somewhere in there about a 10-15% capacity increase.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Tue, 03 August 2004 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only thing is I don't know where he got the stuff from - it's all "custom".... Rolling Eyes But he did get the turbo from Rigoli's. Also I remember he was running a full custom plenum too. Nod
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Tue, 03 August 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well there isn't alot of custom parts required to stroke the engine, Crack, con rods and while ur there go forged pistons too.

I'll probally go somewhere like BD4's for new turbo, its where my box came from.
daniel_pg
Newcomer

August 2004

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Tue, 03 August 2004 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5S block + 3S head = 2.1 or 2.2L (depending on overbore) 3SGTE.

very straight forward.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Tue, 03 August 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind of power can you look for with a 5S block and the head off a 3S-GTE? And would you use the same turbo for the application? I understand that turbo choice depends on whether you want 'bang' off the mark or top-end legs, but what would be best used for a stroked 3S-GTE?

Those sure are some nice figures for a four-banger... Smile
daniel_pg
Newcomer

August 2004

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Tue, 03 August 2004 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, the 5s/3s combo will jsut give you a 2.1/2 liter 3SGTE, so assume 10% more power than what you're currently making with a flatter torque band.

the manifolds/ancillaries from the 3s head can be carried over, nothgin custom is needed.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Tue, 03 August 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are several stroker kits out there for the 3sgte already made... being the toda stroker kit and the JUN kit. Both are awsome, im sort of kicking myself now that i when i did my rebuild i should have brought this toda kit 7,700 from subzero about 1 year ago. But none the less the car still moves pretty well.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt that 'nothing custom' will be needed for a 5S/3S combination considering I have been doing/investigating this one myself for a little while now. Seeing as the stroke is 4mm longer with the 5S, the big-end journal is a different size and the rods C-C is the same length - then you a looking at at least custom rods and also 1mm over-sized pistons (different bore size in 5S block, 87mm vs 86mm). Then, even so, if you shorten the rods to get a decent compr. ratio then you have reduced the rod/stroke ratio even further than you already have (with the longer stroke) - this will affect the tuning of the engine and also the longevity (due to added sidewall tresses) of the standard 1mm over-sized pistons (reduction of revability). Also you might want to think about treating the crankshaft as well to make it more crack resistant etc etc.

In short - fiddling with stroked 3SGEs/3SGTEs is not something you want to shortcut on...to build a good reliable engine you will always have to spend big buckeroos.

Also - the real power in an engine is generally restricted by the cylinder head, so adding 10% capacity will probably not add even 5% power if that is the only change made. The added stroke will help with torque (fractionally) but the change in power will be small.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And lastly, some 5S blocks will be incompatible with some 3S heads...so look out on that front too. A general rule of thumb (I think) is that pre 1994 stuff doesn't mix with post 1994 stuff, but I have no details on which engine numbers/head numbers to look out for etc etc so you may want to do some research of your own.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you want to stroke/fuck a nice engine like the 3S? The 3S is a perfect square engine (86mm bore/86mm stroke). The only reason to change this combination is if you were chasing 700+Hp Confused
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 - maybe because extra capacity is not 'fuck'ing an engine up? An engine being 'square' (bore == stroke) does not imply an optimal configuration.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your the expert.
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive thought about this before a few times. had a bit of a look around. it really doesnt seem like as much of a nice conversion as the 7af/4ag hybrid. yorue probably alot better of just spending the money on a nice turbo.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah - cool1 - I wish Razz I do like a nice square engine myself especially for NA.

Slydar - you are correct, it's probably a bit too much of a bitch for what gain you get out of it. If you cut a few corners and do a dodgy job you can probably get a small gain quite cheaply...but for real power you are probably as well off, or better off, investing in a custom crank shaft.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

it's probably a bit too much of a bitch for what gain you get out of it

You mean 269kw at all four threads is a small gain?! Surprised Embarassed
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Wed, 04 August 2004 22:56

Sounds small to me when people on this forum are getting 274kw at the rear wheels with a turbo upgrade.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 06:40

RAV-GT4 wrote on Wed, 04 August 2004 22:56

Sounds small to me when people on this forum are getting 274kw at the rear wheels with a turbo upgrade.

I was thinking that too, people around the net are running fully rebuilt 3S-GTE (86x86) and are easily making 250kW+

this guy is running a stroked out weapon at 2.4L, he should be makeing huge amounts of power. And with a turbo that size, 350kW+ sounds more like it.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, 269kW would not have come from just boring and stroking the engine...that's for sure. The fact that he is not making more power may actually be because of the changed geometry of the engine not being about to rev as efficiently etc etc.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Wed, 04 August 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah - comparing rear wheel kilowatts to four wheel kilowatts is also a dumb comparision btw - the transmission differences between the two configurations (especially considering you are probably talking about an MR2, right) is so drastic that it is more than likely that the 269kW at all four is much more at the flywheel than the MR2 that puts out 274 at the rear treads. Then of course you have to consider dyno conditions, the type of dyno etc etc.
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Thu, 05 August 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
270 at all 4 wheels is damn impressive I think.

Thats 350+ at the flywheel or 500Hp. Pretty good acheivement. Regardless of engine size.

The stroker conversion would add a nice amount of low RPM torque to the car so that it would still be responsive off boost. This is probably the main reason he went for it.

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Thu, 05 August 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
considering how much stock gt4s put down I think it's still impresive.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Thu, 05 August 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bet that the 5S block doesn't have the nice oil squiters for the piston or higher strength cylinder sleeves.
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Thu, 05 August 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the 3sgte strokers turn out anything like what the u.s. dsm guys do with their mitsubishi 2.0L... its no question if its worth it.
The 2.3/2.4 stokers are built from inexpensive mitsu cores found in sedans. Aftermarket pistons and rods (if you choose that route) are quite affordable.
While guys struggled to get their full wt. 3300 pound street awd cars to run 10sec ETs with the 2.0.... the 2.4 accomplishes that with relative ease. Big benefit is the huge torque improvement and a broad non-peaky powerband. Seen two 10sec street mitsus with ~540 ft-lbs torque at the wheels! Quite impressive for such a small package.
off-road
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Thu, 05 August 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE PROS AND CONS OF STROKING A 3SGTE HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED AND IT
IS REASONABLY EASY TO GO TO 2.1 OR 2.2 BUT NO ONE HAS TOLD US HOW TO GET TO 2.4. I AM AFTER LOW DOWN TORQUE FOR MOTORSPORT APPLICATIO AND THE IDEA OF GOING TO 2.4 APEALS TO ME.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Thu, 05 August 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I bet that the 5S block doesn't have the nice oil squiters for the piston or higher strength cylinder sleeves.
Depends what 3S block you are comparing it to - afaik the early ones don't have any stronger cylinder sleeving...as for the oil squirters - I'll have to have a look tomorra Smile
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Thu, 05 August 2004 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The U.S. drag racing guys found the limit of the Gen2 SW20 3SGTE blocks to be around 700HP; at that point the block cracks and starts doing strange things. Boo hoo hoo, so limit yourself to a measley 600HP?

The Gen3+ 3SGTE blocks (Caldina blocks et al.) have rectified the weakness (visually anyway), but no one has snapped those blocks yet. Apparently the same casting changes have been applied to the later 5S blocks too.

The 3SGTE oil nozzles are P/N 15790-88381 and cost me $17.48 Cdn each.
The bolts for the oil nozzles are P/N 90110-06003 and cost me $1.38 Cdn each.

Only the 3SGTE model engines have oil nozzles from the factory. The 3SGE did not have them and the 5SFE does not have them. Most people don't bother installing the oil nozzles into a 5S block when the build one up for a high HP 3SG head.

Even if you build a 2.2 5SFE lower end for a 3SG head, it will ultimately be limited in HP by the head's ability to flow (which is high!), but you will shift the torque lower in the RPM band, so if that's the goal, that's the goal...

Check out Pankl/CP pistons part number SC7451 it's a 0.020" overbore forged piston specifically made for 5SFE block and 3SGTE head - no bullshit involved!!!

http://www.cppistons.com/PDF%20Files/CPImport.pdf
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Thu, 05 August 2004 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the share mate - very informative. Wink
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Fri, 06 August 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man I've been looking for pistons like that for ages!!!

But 0.020" overbore is only .5mm - the 5SFE has 87mm, the 3SGE has 86 - surely there piston/bore clearance would be to hell? Or should I measure the bores more closely...

Oil nozzles would not be req. for an NA engine unless you start going really nuts. Still cheers for the heads up!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Fri, 06 August 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't it be 0.020" over the 5SFE block? not over the 3SGE block.

So in other words, get a 5S block and clean it up then put those pistons in.
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Fri, 06 August 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CP Piston P/N SC7451 is 3.445" diameter = 87.503mm = a 5SFE block with a 0.5mm-ish overbore...
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Fri, 06 August 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I just put those numbers in myself after I posted - d'oh!
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Sat, 07 August 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd like to know what the stock @wheel-kw figures are for the 3S-GTE in a GT-Four... anyone have that info? Dyno figures perhaps (with little modifications on the car)?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Sat, 07 August 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine : tired engine - 14psi and minor mods - 115KW atw at the same dyno day we had the suspicios 96awkw from your rav4 Smile

Cheers
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Sat, 07 August 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you put yours on the dyno since then (ie. before all the new stuff went in)?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Sat, 07 August 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope - not yet ..

its got to be dyno tuned when the ECU happens - then i hopefully will have a updated figure ..

Not expecting more than about 140 ish though - still need the better turbo + injectors + fuel pump to start increasing power
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Sat, 07 August 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heheheh... I got ALL that!! You'll probably need a fuel regulator and gauge if you're going to do something like I did with mine (500hp Bosch pump, stock 540cc injectors). Evil or Very Mad
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Sat, 07 August 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh it will come - the 540's are somewhere in the mail atm ..

Fuel pump and Garret BB turbo is next year - when i have a bit more saved up ..

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Sat, 07 August 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dare say it's going to be a tough battle on the dyno next year... you, me, 2REVUP (MR.2)... franken-3SGTE award please!!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Sat, 07 August 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frankens only need apply if your utilizing parts from multiple generations or customising whats already there . hehe Wink

There can be only ONE franken - 3sgte

And hmms - i dunno if ill be uber powerful by july next year , but it should give a good run i hope
Beej
Regular

April 2004

Re: Stroked 3S-GTE! Sat, 07 August 2004 14:48 Go to previous message
im not going to assume i know alot, but from what i thought, stroke the 3S if u want some low down, if ur chasing in excess of 600 though, your best leaving it at square,

the toms top secret ran 2.0 as far as i know
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-Gte in RA28
Next Topic:AE82 engineered with GZE yet standard box?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:06:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086410045623779 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.