Toymods » Tech & Conversions » bending rear axle for negative camber

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
bending rear axle for negative camber Sat, 31 July 2004 17:25 Go to next message
I've got a DIY idea how to bend my rear axle for desired negative camber, including zero if desired. Hope you guys can give some comments about the method below.

Since I'm assuming I've got a S-bend in my axle housing, so the solution is to use a regular car's jack under the axle, between the 2 wheels and force it open. The step by step detail process is: -

1) put two strong hard wood block on both rim's inner face - for protection as well as anti-slip ....... ??? if works ???
2) place the jack under the axle
3) direct the jack's direction between the 2 wheel's rim inner face
4) place a rod of somekind to fill the gap / space between the 2 wooded blocks

5) jack - expand side ways literally and the wheels will start to ..... negative camber

There are other issues of concerns like: -

A) what if the bending bias more towards one side? i.e. get -1 at left but only -0.5 at right?

Well, the solution may be to park the car extremely close to a strong wall of somekind, stick a wood between the wall and the wheel that you do not want to further increase it's negative camber - and start to jack / expand between the 2 wheels and hope for the best ....??? may work???

B) what if the bending is not .... immediately permanent?

i.e. when expanding the jack in the middle - assuming managed to get -0.5 at both wheels - which is perfect for equality, but upon release of jack, it returns to original

Well, if this is the case, there are 2 solutions

B-1) expand the jack extra amount, until upon release then it actually becomes what you want.

or

B-2) expand the jack to required amount, leave it over night and check the next morning? may work?

And if this method works, one can also use this method to force / push the wheels from too much negative camber back to original or whatever desired amount.

The solution is to place the wood and jack outside the wheel, either on top of bottom as required and borrow a support from a strong wall. Park the car real near to it.

Oh forgot to mention, lift the car if required, either one side or both.

Any take on this ideasssss ????

Many thanks in advance.
  Send a private message to this user    
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: bending rear axle for negative camber Sat, 31 July 2004 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good Luck !
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bending rear axle for negative camber Sat, 31 July 2004 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi CFC.

Yes, you can bend the rear live-axle housing, we've done it on my racing car. It requires a LARGE hydraulic press of at least ten tonnes capacity, and you have to support the housing in the right places so it bends in the right places. (The middle!)
When you bend it in the press, you have to bend it a fair bit more than the final amount you want as they spring back to a lesser amount when the pressure is removed.
Don't go more than about 0.25° or you may have troubles with the bearings & diff gears from mis-aligment.
Don't forget that you can also add a little toe-in, which helps stability in & out of corners a lot.

I'll draw you a picture of all this when I get back to KL in about a week or so.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: bending rear axle for negative camber Sun, 01 August 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the past folk have done this to a bigger extent (ie 1 degree) for race cars, but what it does to bearings is unthinkable...
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: bending rear axle for negative camber Sun, 01 August 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, thanks everyone

The reason that caused me to come up with stupid ideas like this is because I've got BAD camber in my axle

rear left facing forward -0.1 = which is OK no complains

rear RIGHT facing forward +0.2 = this is the bugger which I want to correct. Even getting it back to 0 (zero) I'll be very happy.

Since Bill, that you mention not more than 0.25 - then I'll go for whatever that "Equalises" both sides, and as long as it's not more than 0.25

It is no wonder why my rear right also seems to be noisier - but can't be 100% sure because I'm driving and can't put my head to the rear.

It is also no wonder why the rear right always leak a little...

You guys can also imagine, during right turns.... the car tends to turn right more and more and I have to counter wait counter wait counter wait. So non-linear Sad

Thanks bill, see you around middle of Aug ..... Smile - so I presume you'll be staying all the way till the end of RACE?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bending rear axle for negative camber Sun, 01 August 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I should be there on the morning of the 8th, then I'll make very sure I'm there until at least after the MME.
Catch ya in about a week!
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: bending rear axle for negative camber Sun, 01 August 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow, great Smile - lots of catching up time, lots of track visits Smile lots of talk kok times too if you don't mind us :0

about the extra track width - changing the turning radius ... yes it is affected but I didn't pay attention before that - because I didn't "realise" that it would.

so, only after I've done the changes, drives around then I felt something difference, but could not tell in which way.

If I'm not mistaken the turn radius has been increase Sad - i.e. I need more space to make a full circle. Is this right?

But there is a new benefit. The steering feels heavier Smile - I don't feel so scared on high way now.

Shxt - I really get to get a pair of short steering arms Sad - where can I get it Sad
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bending rear axle for negative camber Sun, 01 August 2004 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having a little camber & toe-in on the rear shouldn't really make any difference to the slow-speed turning of the car. Well, not so you'd notice at all.
You'll really only notice anything when going fast, say third gear & above.
I think the differences you're feeling are related to the new RCA's you have. The very different scrub radius will make the sterring feel rather odd at first, and perhaps also alter the turning radius.
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: bending rear axle for negative camber Wed, 04 August 2004 01:43 Go to previous message
yesterday changed new tyres dunlop FM901 195/50R15 82v all 4

Wah, dam nice feel Smile - hehehehehehe cannot sleep Smile

I also changed the rear lugs to long ones, then add 2 pieces of 7mm spacer on each side, and slap the tyres on.

The rear match the front tracks now. In fact, Allan says rear is large than front slighty. May be he is right.....

Wow ......... can't believe the new tyres feel and the total tracks increase feel ..... speechless ......

Since reducing from 60 series back down to 50 series. The overall height is also reduce somewhat. The roll is less now.

However there are still roll more than before, due to extra tracks, so I'm going to lower the car even more, since I've got allot of space.

Unless I managed to get thicker bottom stabilizer bars for front and rear.

All thanks to Yoga@yolk and Allan@QiW of www.zerotohundred.com under toyota sections for organising the trip to change tyres, which the shop happily willing to change the long lugs Smile

The tyres cost RM165 each

[Updated on: Wed, 04 August 2004 01:46]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:oil pressure on 3SGTE
Next Topic:Misc 1GGTE -->RA65 questions (yes, I've already done a searchsearched)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:59:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047478675842285 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.