Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Mon, 31 May 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 01 June 2004 00:00

i must say im greatly enjoying riding the wake of your progress micheal. (oh, i did get your PM but i have no phone atm... Mad sorry!)

No probs. Happy to return the favour.

how exactly does modifying the shoe anchor points change the effective radius of the shoe? thats got me baffled!

It doesn't, but it makes the shoes more of an oval shape than round, so that they will fit within the smaller diameter. I sat them inside the merc disc, and measured the 'new' upper pin dia and the adjuster length req'd (I'll try and send you a pic to clarify what it looks like) for the shoes to sit within the dia of the Merc rotors.

anyway, regarding the rear rotors and calipers, ive got a sneaking suspicion that my wheels wont have clearance for a caliper that protrudes too far outwards from the disc face. they are such a deep dish rim that the inner face of the wheel's spokes is going to get quite close to the rotor - esp if i dont go for a rotor of significantly larger diameter (thus pushing the caliper out from the hub centre 20-30mm). grrr

Yep. To fit my rims on the 300ZX calipers, I needed to make a 20mm spacer that bolts onto the studs. Mine is different from the normal adapters, in that it uses longer studs (73mm long Nice Products ones - http://www.niceproducts.com.au/cat/LongStuds-0703. pdf Part No NS3400) and only one set of 5 holes. The spacer is recessed so that a nut is used to hold the spacer on the hub (and it doubles as a hub centric type spacer as well) and then the wheel uses the same studs to get held to the stub/spacer unit. No probs with engineering.

as mentioned above, im swaying towards just redrilling some ma61 rotors and go some good calipers. depends on what kind of final package i can put together. i personally think a good caliper on the 268's will work effectively with the front. i just see too many issues creeping up with these merc rotors.

im trying to get my hands on some st205 rear calipers to see how far they stick out (also match the front - good bias). its going to be close:

The 300ZX calipers stick out about 60mm from the rotor face, and I assume that the ST205 ones will be similar. The Merc rotor and the MA61/MS123 has about the same depth, so you would probably have the same issues. What is your wheel offset ? And being 7", a spacer like I'm using shouldn't be a problem.
http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/mx23/images/hiluxdiff/assembled1.jpg

then to pull the rears apart. i fucked one of the threads on the end of the hub spline getting one out of a rear ms123 trailing arm (with a sledge hammer - the nut didnt protect it!) so i have to go wrecker shopping again Sad

Try a thread file first, or have a bit of fun with a hacksaw blade and a new nut first. Use the hacksaw blade if you cant get the correct thread die at a local engineering firm (fine tooth) to try and reconstruct the thread (have done it many times before).

I have a thread file I can post up to you if you need to borrow one rather than trying to source a new stub. I had so much trouble getting the rears for Raj. I know of 3 sets of rear stubs in Adelaide, but the cheapest is $180 PER SIDE !!

How bad is the thread ?

Cheers

Michael B

Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Mon, 07 June 2004 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, a bit of success was had in the shed last night, I now have operational handbrakes using the Merc discs and MA61 handbrake shoes. Yeeehhhhaaaaahhhh Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And I didn't have to spend a cent.

All I did was to reprofile the upper pivot on the shoes, shorten the lower adjuster a tad (about 5mm overall), and file the grooves a little in the upper shoe separator (the bit that looks like a dog bone that separates the shoes at the top with a spring at one end), and gring away some of the metal protrusions from the outside face of the brake shoe and then readjust. Didn't even need to touch/remove any of the material from the shoes.

I can only hope that they are effective enough, although it seems that way.

All that is required to make them functional now is to get the brake lines make up and fit them.

The calipers will be rebuilt shortly, including repainting them either red or black (the ugly NISSAN has been ground off !!!)

Cheers

Michael B

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 08 June 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a brake place sould be able to bond on some new stuff and radius the shoes to be nice and round again

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 08 June 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The main problem is that there is only 2mm of material when the shoes are new.

To radius grind and bond new material would be costly (MA61 rera shoes are not listed, so would be a custom job, and involve more time and money.

It may well be a solution if my magic workings are not sufficient, so will wait and see.

Cheers

MB
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 08 June 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do some drifto handbrake work radius them that way Razz
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 08 June 2004 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Tue, 08 June 2004 12:19

do some drifto handbrake work radius them that way Razz

I have some similar, but also dodgy thoughts if I need to reprofile the shoes that wont cost much Evil or Very Mad
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 21 July 2004 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finally found a way to host some pics myself through some mob called image shack, so here goes !!!!

Front Discs

Subaru WRX STi front disc mounted (326mm dia x 30mm thick - DBA4654)
http://img18.exs.cx/img18/7717/2004-04-14001.jpg

Disc with 16x8" Simmons B45 and 225/50 tyres
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/685/2004-04-14006.jpg

Rear Discs and Calipers

Merc W140 rear disc (300mm dia x 22mm thick) and integral spacer
http://img25.exs.cx/img25/9297/2004-06-16051.jpg

Wheel mounted on rear
http://img44.exs.cx/img44/834/2004-06-16052.jpg

Will try and have some more pics soon.

Latest is that the Koni rear shocks are installed, and that the stainless (legal) brake lines will be made next week, then the calipers can be painted and resealed,

Don't know what colour to paint them yet 0 red, black or gold are the options ?

Cheers

Michael B
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 21 July 2004 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael

Very cool. That is the MR2 caliper on the rear?

Look forward to seeing more pics.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 21 July 2004 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Raj,

No, it is the rear Z32 300ZX rear caliper. Whilst the MR2 rear caliper would have been great (due to internal handbrake), sadly the depth of the caliper cused it to foul the lower section of the shock.

Even though the 300ZX rear calipers are meant to go on 18mm discs, they "just" fit onto the Merc disc which is 22mm thick. A win for a change.

I'll post some more pics when I take them this weekend

Cheers

Michael B
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 22 July 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm looks like ye ol toyota 2 pot sumitomo specials would be nicer on the back then those, tryed them?

Allan
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 22 July 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are those 300zx calipers bolted straight to the stock mounts?

I'm wanting to know how big a disc we can run with the 300zx calipers bolted to the stock location
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 22 July 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work Michael.

Allan, those Sumitomos are too heavy and will only fit over a 12mm rotor unless you use a spacer (like I did).
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 22 July 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan, As GT suggested, the Sumitomo are too heavy (cast iron) & too narrow (without mods), and the 300ZX ones fit sweet and are quite light. There are not many calipers that will fit a 22mm disc for the rear without mods.

For Glenn, no, custom mounts were required as bolt spacing is different, see the attached pic. I can supply a CAD dwg if anyone wants to make them

Cheers

Michael B

http://img50.exs.cx/img50/4944/2004-06-16048.jpg
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 22 July 2004 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This conversion is crazy! Shocked By the looks of your Mercedes and STi rotors, you're gonna have some fu*ken sick ass brakes! You will kill at the race track...

Good luck for the remaining work! I look forward to seeing it completed. Cool

DP
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 22 July 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
digitalpho3nix wrote on Fri, 23 July 2004 01:22

This conversion is crazy! Shocked ...... some fu*ken sick ass brakes!

DP

Yes, I am crazy, and it has taken longer than anticipated, but it should be finished soon.

Don't know about "fu*ken sick ass", but they should work well. Mallala is really hard on brakes, and hence going a little overboard.

I think that too many people spend too much money on making their cars faster and ignoring the handling and braking aspect.

A case in point is a 212fwkW Nissan Exa that can do a 12 sec 1/4 mile, but has std brakes ???????????????

Thanks for the compliments Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Mon, 26 July 2004 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And now some pics of the front as promised (note that the caliper brackets are not as sexy as Cool1's, but they work)

Front caliper & disc (front)
http://img60.exs.cx/img60/7629/2004-07-25042.jpg

Front caliper & disc (side)
http://img64.exs.cx/img64/708/2004-07-25043.jpg

With wheel on (Simmons B45 16x8")
http://img51.exs.cx/img51/9582/2004-07-25045.jpg

With 17x8" CSA Gladiator (see new thread for details)
http://img60.exs.cx/img60/5914/2004-07-26002.jpg
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 27 July 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good!

FYI I finally got my hands on some MX83 struts yesterday, so all I need now is BA Falcon rotors and my 5-stud/BBK conversion will be underway. Smile Does anyone know a good place to purchase DBA rotors online? And don't say www.discpads.com, the goons there don't have a listing for a BA. Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 27 July 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Autospeed?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 27 July 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Already tried them; $120 for slotted or $150 for "longlife gold". That seems like a pretty high price for such a common vehicle, considering I paid $125 for my MA61 rotors! So I'm hoping there are better (cheaper) options out there, but if not I'll fork out what Autospeed want.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 27 July 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDA at wynumn (i think) Sell them as well. 120 for std, 140 for slotted if i remember correctly

my brother has them on his 911, work great!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 27 July 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got my Scubie discs from Autospeed.

Norbs, if you intend to do a biot of trackwork, try and get the 4000 series ones, as they are heaps better, if not go slotted. Don't worry about the cross drilled ones, they are more for show

Cheers

Michael B
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 27 July 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good, I'll have to see if I can squeeze them into the budget. Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 27 July 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbs, I thought that you bought the entire shebang from John D as he ended up doing something different ?

I was suprised with the cost of the 4000 series ones, as with several cases (HSV, Subaru, and a few others) they were cheaper than the std slotted ones ?

As I am a member of Autospeed, I can get another 10% off if you like. PM me and maybe I can order them for you via me and get them delivered to you and you pay me ?

Cheers

Michael B
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 28 July 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to buy John's setup, but I couldn't get the cash together and he sold it all to someone else.

OK here's Autospeed's prices for DBA rotors.

Longlife Slotted Rotor: DBA504, $118.58 each
Longlife Gold Rotor: DBA504X, $152.46 each
4000 Series Slotted Rotor: DBA4505, $211.20 each

So the 4000 series are about twice the cost of the normal slotted rotors. What exactly am I getting for my money?
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 28 July 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie
what are you doing about the rears for the 5-stud conversion? using the crown ms123 rear hubs and rotors?

and from memory
arent the 4000 series the ones with the kangaroo paw design?
something about better ventilation, keeping the discs cooler

[Updated on: Wed, 28 July 2004 07:31]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 28 July 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using MS123 hubs, re-drilled MA61 rotors, and MA61 calipers on the rear.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 28 July 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 10:07

Longlife Slotted Rotor: DBA504, $118.58 each
Longlife Gold Rotor: DBA504X, $152.46 each
4000 Series Slotted Rotor: DBA4505, $211.20 each

So the 4000 series are about twice the cost of the normal slotted rotors. What exactly am I getting for my money?

The cast iron material is much better grade and is better suited to track work, the Kangaroo paw design cooling fins. Those two together make it much stronger and it will resist cracking MUCH better. Also the slotting is different.

Also, the autospeed price is delivered to your door. With the discount, it will be $190 each too.
sa65
Regular

August 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Sun, 01 August 2004 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Apologies for sidestepping on the real topic but being a keen interested MA61 owner I have question. The upgrades (while there are a few) have been for two purposes, to upgrade the rather smallish brakes and to be able to fit bigger rims. Now, the major focus seems to have been the fronts.

Granted using these upgrades can increase the offsets (and rim choices)of the fronts, what of the rears? The general concensus seems to be MS123 rear hubs. However, this (I think) is not addressing offset? Or is it not required to purely because the offset woes of the MA61 are only on the front?

I have other questions following on from the above one but I'll wait and see what the answers are. I apologise if they are, or seem like silly questions, I just dont know and would like to Smile

Cheers

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Sun, 01 August 2004 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sa65 wrote on Mon, 02 August 2004 01:30

Hi,

Apologies for sidestepping on the real topic but being a keen interested MA61 owner I have question. The upgrades (while there are a few) have been for two purposes, to upgrade the rather smallish brakes and to be able to fit bigger rims. Now, the major focus seems to have been the fronts.

The main reason for the change to 5 stud was for the availability of rims, not the offset. Not many people make the 4 stud rims in the offset that the MA61 needs. The choice of 5 stud (being the same as Falcon) and the offset (being similar to X? to EF/EL - basically pre-AU) makes the rims, bioth new and s/hand a much wider choice.

The rears have changed as well, quite a bit !!

Granted using these upgrades can increase the offsets (and rim choices)of the fronts, what of the rears? The general concensus seems to be MS123 rear hubs. However, this (I think) is not addressing offset? Or is it not required to purely because the offset woes of the MA61 are only on the front?

No change in offset is intended, and the components only add about 1mm per side, if that. (Except for the rear spacers that i have, but that was required for caliper clearance).

I'm note sure exactly what you mean by "Or is it not required to purely because the offset woes of the MA61 are only on the front ?"

I have other questions following on from the above one but I'll wait and see what the answers are. I apologise if they are, or seem like silly questions, I just dont know and would like to Smile

Cheers

Ask away

Cheers

Michael B
sa65
Regular

August 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Mon, 02 August 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael,

Thanks for the prompt reply. No need to worry bout the other questions, based on your answers they no longer need answering. Smile Thanks for your time and again, apologies for side stepping the topic

Cheers,

Ben
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Mon, 02 August 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sa65, no probs, but if you have any other queries, just let me know

Cheers

Michael B
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 03 August 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 19:31

how are you going to go about redrilling the ma61 rotors?
using what you have? is that possible?
or can you get them undrilled then send them to a machine shop to be drilled as per spec?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 03 August 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't got around to the machining part yet, but there should be no need to "undrill" the rotors.
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 04 August 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Tue, 03 August 2004 18:57

Norbie wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 19:31

how are you going to go about redrilling the ma61 rotors?
using what you have? is that possible?
or can you get them undrilled then send them to a machine shop to be drilled as per spec?

Easy to redrill discs. The bolt circle is the same for 4 bolt and 5 bolt. Just share 1 hole that is already drilled for the 4 bolt and then drill holes every 72 degrees. You will end up with 8 holes in total.

Pictured is an S13 with 4 bolt hubs and a Z32 5 bolt disc mounted that is redrilled to fit. Same idea, just backwards (5 bolt redrilled for 4 bolt).

http://www.ilkt.com/celicasupra/frontsuspension5.jpg
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 04 August 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a dumb question if you re drill a disk from 4 to 5 and 5 to 4 wouldn't that put the disks out of balance?? or would it be so minimal you would not notice it? due to the fact that there is less metal in some spots then others
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 04 August 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are correct, it would be so minimal. The other thing to note is that the mass and interia of the disc compared to the whole system (including whheel and tyre) is so small, even if it were miles out of balance, you would hardly notice it

Drill away !!!!

The offer still stands to come around and have a look at my setup.

Did you end up getting the RA65 from canberra ?

Cheers

Michael B
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 04 August 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope still at my uncles Razz nearly six months now its been there. got my self a ma61 on the weekend though and a ra40 the weekend before. Cant this weekend busy with work maybe next got your number there so ill let you know when i do get a chance to come up.
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 04 August 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA65 Sleeka wrote on Wed, 04 August 2004 14:43

just a dumb question if you re drill a disk from 4 to 5 and 5 to 4 wouldn't that put the disks out of balance?? or would it be so minimal you would not notice it? due to the fact that there is less metal in some spots then others

Good question.

Michael is correct as always.

One thing not mentioned is that the holes are drilled close to the center of the whole wheel/tyre/hub/disc system. Closer to the center will help in keeping the balance closer to normal.

2 ideas if balance is an issue.

1. There are wheel balancing machines that work with the wheel on the car. Balance everything and remeber to replace the wheel in the excat location it came off if removed for what ever reason.

2. Drill more holes, if possible. This gets me thinking. sometimes a bad thing.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 August 2004 07:00]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 04 August 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A couple of very quick calcs says that the amount of unbalance created is roughly equivalent to 1.5grams at the rim of a 16in wheel. If you can get a wheel balanced to that sort of tollerance, your doing pretty good.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 04 August 2004 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbbbaaaaaaachy, just wondering: with the merc rear rotors, what was stopping you from machining 1mm or so off the inside face of the disc drum to overcome the shoe radius problem? not enough meat on the disc to sacrifice 1mm?

also, i managed to score so CHEAP R33 rear calipers (not the alloy ones Sad ) they're also the 18mm jobbies rather than the 22mm. im thinking of sticking with the ma61 rotors, but damn, the temptation to see if the merc rotors will squeeze in is killing me Razz
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Wed, 04 August 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed,

They have a weird step down about 1/2 way in (about 5 - 8mm), and machining some off the ID may have weakened that particular area. I'll try and shoot you a pic to show you what I mean,

To get the rotors to fit, all I did was re-raduis the show at the top where it locates into the upper round pin, cut the grooves deeper in the dog bone link, and shortened the lower adjusting link to compensate.

It took a bit of fiddling, but worked OK.

The Z32 300ZX rear calipers JUST fit over the 22mm rotots, and by all accounts, they are the same as R32/R33.

I laso have the caliper kit part no to rebuild them if you need it.

Cheers

Michael B
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 02 September 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Time for some more pics Very Happy

The calipers are finally back from the powder coaters, they have been rebuilt with new seals, and are finally mounted ;

Front Brakes ;

http://img5.exs.cx/img5/968/2004-09-01009.jpg

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/2764/2004-09-01010.jpg
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 02 September 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow! Those look nice!!

The more I see you do the more i'm tempted to do it myself! I think i'll try and squeeze as much as possible out of my braking system using standard rims before I go crazy with 5 stud conversion...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 02 September 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*sigh* my rotors are $214 each also...if only money grew on trees and i was a good farmer Sad
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 02 September 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$214 each, thats not bad. The WRX rotors that I used only cost me $170 each (for 4000 series DBA rotors), but some others are well over $400 each.

The BA Falcon ones I got for Norbs were $190 each for 4000 series ones as well.

Consider what your brakes do, and then think how much you have spent on the motor and work out which one has more impact on saving your life in the car Cool

rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 02 September 2004 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice job Michael. Well done.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Thu, 02 September 2004 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheer Raj,

Hydra, keep an eye on what Glen is doing on the 4 stud front, as 5 stud will not be such a benefit for your car as the lack of flares can hinder what mags you can get as well.

Thanks for the comments Very Happy It is great to finally get it done. Just have to get the balance/master cylinder right now.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Fri, 03 September 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok time for some pics of MY rear brakes!! hmmppphh!!

for those interested, this is brake assembly 37B: consisting of JZZ30 307mm x 16mm rotors (thanks to Jpanaese Import Parts) and a pair of nissan R33 twin piston caliper.

you might be wondering how im getting the 190mm handbrake to work Confused all shall be revealed in the next few weeks following a little bit of a machining adventure.

total offset increase (inc wheels) is 13.5mm per side. just over legal (12mm) but wos counting. ill be sourcing new landcruiser 80 series lugs in the next few days (8mm longer than stock).

enjoy!!

cheers
ed

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/downloads/6.jpg

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/downloads/7.jpg

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/downloads/8.jpg

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/downloads/9.jpg

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/downloads/10.jpg

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/downloads/11.jpg
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Fri, 03 September 2004 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 07:20

Hydra, keep an eye on what Glen is doing on the 4 stud front, as 5 stud will not be such a benefit for your car as the lack of flares can hinder what mags you can get as well.

Hey, thats true... I never thought about that Smile

I might go take a look at how much space I have to work with using the stock 15" rims tommorow.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Sat, 04 September 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually guys, the XX wheel arches have a fair bit of flare built into them. Sure, they aren't quite as wide at the MA61, but they are wider than the ones on Nark's RA60, and he has 7.5" wide rims under his.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Sat, 04 September 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well there ya go Smile

I should start taking a serious look at upgrades for the brakes on mine.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Sat, 04 September 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, Glen (BlackSupra) was surprised when he saw my guards in person for the first time as well.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Sat, 04 September 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But flares are Teh Shiznit
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Sat, 04 September 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Back in the 80's Iceman Laughing
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Sun, 05 September 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, don't be dissin' the 80's man. Mad

Word to your mother, yo.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Sun, 05 September 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCMF, have you compared the GA61 front calipers to the aus spec MA61 calipers?

I found them to be different in a pretty big way... the MA61 calipers are larger (and the pads are too), but the discs SEEM to be similar/the same.

Thanks to bbaacchhyy I now have larger calipers Razz

The discs on the MA61 may also be slightly larger diameter, i'll find out tonight when I can be bothered looking.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Sun, 05 September 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 09:30

Word to your mother, yo.

The "Ice Age" began in 1990 with the release of the "To the Extreme" album. However VI released his first album "Hooked" in 1989 but it only sold 48000 copies.

Play the funky music white boy. W3rd.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 September 2004 23:41]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Mon, 06 September 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 07:39

JCMF, have you compared the GA61 front calipers to the aus spec MA61 calipers?

Only the rears, but now you've said that, it must be the same case when comparing the RA60 and MA61. They both share the same discs, but the MA61 has a bigger caliper. Meh, neither of them are going to be as effective as the 300ZX ones Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Mon, 06 September 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True that, but the stock brakes aren't THAT bad really, they just aren't good Razz It's funny seeing smoke pouring from the wheels after a bit of a hard drive, that and the lack of brakes...

I wonder how much I can fit under the stock 15" rims Smile There seems to be a bit of clearance, so i'm tempted to try!

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Mon, 06 September 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
It'll be interesting to see if 280mm discs would be able to fit under them. When I change to 5-stud and go bigger brakes I'm keen to try it out over the 15's I currently have on there.
Pages (8): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:diff help please.
Next Topic:SA63 - 5me
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 03:36:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010010004043579 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.