Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Metal Pod Filter?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
icon5.gif  Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 28 July 2004 09:19 Go to next message
Hey,
Just wondering if anyone has used a metal mesh pod filter before. Or even if you haven't but you know a bit about them. Are they any good or what?
I've already got a pod filter, its pretty standard though and kinda dirty. Confused
How much extra power would i get from this puppy?
Considering my setup described below.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=43808&item=2485574937&rd=1& ;ssPageName=WDVW

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/cycleofabuse/filter.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 28 July 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cycleofabuse wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 19:19

Hey,
Just wondering if anyone has used a metal mesh pod filter before. Or even if you haven't but you know a bit about them. Are they any good or what?
I've already got a pod filter, its pretty standard though and kinda dirty. Confused
How much extra power would i get from this puppy?
Considering my setup described below.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;a mp;category=43808&item=2485574937&rd=1& ;amp ;ssPageName=WDVW

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/cycleofabuse/filter.jpg

engine destroying junk!!

wow, racing clamps!!:
"stainless steel racing clamp included"

masssif bro!!:
"GUARANTEE MASSIVE POWER INCREASE OF UP TO 50 PS!!!"

sikkk, habib, we can use them on our 1000ps rb26dettt:
"FOR APPLICATIONS UP TO 1000 PS OK!!!"
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 28 July 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it is anything like the Blitz one, it looks pretty, will stock birds and rocks, but not going to filter very well.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 28 July 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just put some chicken wire over your intake pipe - will do the same thing.

if you must get a pod, I recommend the a'pexi one. Does not flow as well as the blitz one, but has very good filtering properties while still flowing in the top 3 pod filters
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 28 July 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gee sorry for having a go. Sad
Thanks for the help guys, i shall be steering clear of it.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Sat, 31 July 2004 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Ive got an Apex'i Power flow. Best 80 bucks I ever spent. Awesome filter! My GZE sucks the air in beautifully now. I had problems earlier...

http://img33.exs.cx/img33/5403/podfilter.jpg

Check out my 'ghetto' tennis ball tin intake. Works brilliantly.
BTW thats the boot of my aw11.

[Updated on: Sat, 31 July 2004 23:35]

cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Sun, 01 August 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome,
I think i can splash out and get a decent one possibly apexi or blitz. I think i can get a HKS dome style one for around $100, they make some pretty top shit don't they?
So i think i can afford the air filter, but a can of tennis balls on top of that will be way to much... heheheh Laughing
j/k that's pretty cool, thanks for the info dude.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Sun, 01 August 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

go here mate, I suggest that you stay away from the HKS filter.

There is a guy in singapore who ships the apexi filters to ur door in 1 week for around 80 bucks, unless he sold out

edit - hes on ebay.com.au

[Updated on: Sun, 01 August 2004 01:20]

cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Mon, 02 August 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that apexi power intake seems like the way to go. I can get one off ebay delivered for $115. But i might check them out locally coz that seems like a bit much. Anyone know where i can get one cheaply?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Mon, 02 August 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sun, 01 August 2004 08:22

Check out my 'ghetto' tennis ball tin intake. Works brilliantly.
BTW thats the boot of my aw11.

that is top quality! Smile
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Metal Pod Filter? Mon, 02 August 2004 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the brand of tennis ball matter?

For example will a wilson flow better than a slazenger which is better than a spalding?
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 03 August 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Absolutely.
Where Spalding promotes turbulent flow, Slazenger promotes transient flow, and of course Wilson is laminar flow, the best of the bunch.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 03 August 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a pro kennex tennis ball can which seems to be in pretty good shape, unsure if it has the correct flow capabilities though, i might try a few different ones to see what is best. I'll probably end up with a wilson id say.
Laughing
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 03 August 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing IV GOT THAT FILTER!!! bought of that same guy too.

pics are here of it on my car currently

http://members.optusnet.com.au/fadee/einginehead%2 0on.JPG

http://members.optusnet.com.au/fadee/airfilter.JPG

now i havent used it on my car yet cause i havent even started it. Rolling Eyes hopefully soon she will roar!!! OK just start Very Happy bloody hell its taking too long

but i put the filter on a mates car and flows like crazy!!!! and looks so bloody awsome too. SO SORRY TO EVERYONE THAT DOESNT LIKE IT BUT I LOVE IT!!! FLOWS LIKE CRAZY, FILTERS JUST FINE (SAME MESHING AS K&N FILTERS) AND A CAN OF DEGREASER FROM THE INSIDE CLEANS IT JUST FINE AND IN SECONDS

if you check here

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=353370&rid=6060&S=12a6944c9566b79763a8 6765ab280cb9

you will notice that i first had the SUS POWER one with the 114mm neck which was just too huge and changed for this current one which works a treat and like a dream

but at the end of the day its your decision, you say the apexi are $80, well i paid that little extra for the stainless cause thats the i way im going for the bay
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 03 August 2004 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They aren't bagging it because it's stainless persay, its the fact none of the stainless ones filter properly. That site doesn't even give a rating to filtering ability! Smile

It isn't going to filter the same as a K&N for the fact that it has the same mesh, but is missing the all important cotton part which is the main feature of the K&N! Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 03 August 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Tue, 03 August 2004 14:46

but i put the filter on a mates car and flows like crazy!!!!

How do you know? Did you put it on a flow bench, or measure pressure drop across the filter? Or were you just impressed by the sik induction roar it made? Rolling Eyes

In all seriousness, in 99% of cases there are NO measurable power gains to be had by switching filters (unless of course your old one was dirty). That being the case, your best bet is to use the filter which traps the maximum amount of airborne particles, which is the whole reason you have a filter at all! And guess what, metal filters perform the WORST when it comes to actual filtration.

Feel free to keep your shiny metal filter, but don't come crying to us when your cylinder bores wear out prematurely. Smile
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 03 August 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no i didnt put it on a flow bench or measure pressure drop... we simply took off the k&n he had on and replaced it and listened and test drove it... i never mentioned power gain but there did feel like there was a bit more oomf and induction happening

but we didnt literally get measuring equipment and test every aspect. he used it for a couple weeks only and said he loved it and gave it back to me.

and no we didnt pull his motor apart to check if the cylinder is worn out... i guess ill just have to wait and see for myself to see how it goes Smile
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 03 August 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apexi Filter + Slazenger tennis Ball tin = OOMF!

Seriously, I was getting 9PSI with my old filter setup and with the Apexi and slazenger on Im hitting 11PSI in 2nd and 12PSI in 3rd. Yes, I have a nevo.

Oh what a feeling!
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 03 August 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What did you have on before old_mr2? stock filter or another pod filter? I currently have a pod filter (dunno what brand) it looks a little dirty so should i expect an increase in boost you reckon? It currently hits 11PSI on a good day. If the apexi one is gonna make it hit even 1 or 2 more PSI im all for it. I need to clean the filter as it is so i might as well just buy a new top quality one.
And hopefully one day i can upgrade to a slazenger air intake...
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 03 August 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine was stock. I dunno mate 3sgte and 4agze are different in many ways. It worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you...

If you fit an Apexi and dont see an increase, dont worry, you still have the best filter going around. IMO.

Also, some FAT induction piping from the filter to wherever it goes, MAP?, helps too.
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 04 August 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I plan to do an experiment.
I have an MA61, and the standard intake is approximately 15cm2, very small, and draws air from the radiator.
Going to keep the Toyota filter, it's a nice big round one, but add a 4" pipe just forward of the guard, turn the box (tin) around and I'll have 75cm2 of cold opening then.
I'm sure Toyota filters filter more than well enough, the problem is how choked up the intake is on a lot of cars, and it draws hot engine bay air. That is why generally installing a pod filter in place of the filter box gives greater response (more airflow, presumably) but not really more horsepower, and sometimes higher temperatures... it's drawing lots and lots of air, but it's all really hot.
Who knows... I might even measure pressure drops and temperatures before and after.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 04 August 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i still have to heat sheild my filter area and i also want to drill a few holes (but not go crazy) behind head lights and side and mesh that too for direct cold intake

so basically the air filter would be completely heat sheilded from behind/back of filter and the air will be coming from the holes i put in. the mesh (something like 2 sheets of fly screen and placing on top of each other) would be an initial filter and then air filter itself.

well thats an idea im tossing up in my head. so who thinks thats stupid? i wont get offended with what you people say (believe me) i just wanna know your ideas or even if you could add to what i want to do to make it better!!!

the only thing im really worried bout is WATER, its not like ill be driving through floods or anything but i dont want water getting there for obvious reasons
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 04 August 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it's stupid! Razz (just j/k, but the invite was there)
It should work well, if you mesh it you'll have good protection but the flow won't be there unless you have a lot of area, not just some holes.
Another thing is, you can always duct air into the guard then suck it in from there.
Remember the rest of the intake piping should be heat shielded/wrapped as well, it doesn't climb 30C just from the filter. Smile
Experiment a little, look at a few options, the more cold air the better, but you don't want to drive through a big puddle and pull in a few kg of water, correct.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 04 August 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know bout the water cause iv seen it happen before, it was to a N/A car but the effects would still be the same.

i was thinkg of the ducting that people do in rollas that goes under the bar. have it go through the side, between guard and side and down. but i want it all hidden.

other than fmix and actual paint and rims i want everything else hidden, but not a sleeper
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 04 August 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hidden for RTA... I know what you mean.

If it down err on the side of safety man, a standard box/filter replaced with a high flow pod with heat shielding and -some- (any!) sort of ducting will still work well... it always helps to look stock though.
I dunno, ask some mates, do some brainstorming.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 10 August 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Old MR2, where did you get the adapter for your filter from? I emailed the guy on ebay selling them and he said i'd need a custom adapter to fit it. Now to me, "custom" is interchangable with "expensive". And while i wanna give my car plenty of TLC i'm a tight ass Laughing . So i don't wanna spend heaps of money.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Tue, 10 August 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another toymodder pm'ed me about that. I feel loved Embarassed

Its a PVC pipe attachment found at Bunnings Hardware in the PVC aisle. It has to be trimmed down to fit the base of the filter. Then you have to sand the base to make it flat as it has small raised lines around it. Drill holes and whack it on!

Cost 7 dollars.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 29 September 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i finally got the apexi pod filter and it seems awesome. Only problem is it says "Dual Fannel", now im no expert but i believe the spelling is funnel. I think they need help with their engrish Laughing
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Wed, 29 September 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha nice one bro. Im going to have a look at the box when I get home. How does it feel? Breathing better?
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Metal Pod Filter? Thu, 30 September 2004 02:41 Go to previous message
I don't think it's really breathing any better, but my other filter was kinda see through so it couldn't have been filtering much dirt/dust. I mainly got the new filter so it would filter the air better. It looks pretty cool in the engine bay that's for sure. And it should do an exceptional job.
Thanks for talking me into it old_mr2.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What grille do you prefer on my ke35?(pics inside)
Next Topic:Touge Battle 2
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:25:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069129467010498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.